How retired is Jason Medlock?

Bomberforlife

4 hours ago, Bomberforlife said:

… or … what are the chances of getting a dependable experienced kicker out there for 2023?

We will trot Legs out with no competition next year guaranteed. 

Say what you will about the kid, but he was leaps and bounds better this year than last. Let’s hope he can still add some strength.

2 minutes ago, Mandalorian said:

Just so we are clear, the winning team missed 3 field goals in the game and the losing team only missed one.  Both teams had a blocked field goal, so by all accounts, Toronto's kicker left more points on the field than Winnipeg's.  You can't hang the loss on the kicker. 

Legghio also won the punting battle in net yard average.

Edited by Wideleft

28 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Castillo wasn't particularly good for Edm. Leggs had a pretty good year for us overall. He is FAR down the list of problems in the GC game. People are just dumb and can't see more than the simple things.

I agree that it takes an entire team to lose, but you can't ignore the fact that it's Leggs' job to kick the ball. If he makes all his kicks, we win that game. His performance is a factor, and should not escape criticism. 

49 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Castillo wasn't particularly good for Edm. Leggs had a pretty good year for us overall. He is FAR down the list of problems in the GC game. People are just dumb and can't see more than the simple things.

Living in Edmonton I get a number of people asking me about our chances as playoffs approached. Going into playoffs this year my answer was if we need to rely on the kicker I'm not confident.

The entire team didn't play well enough to win yesterday so I can't pin it on any one player, but at the same time I'm surprised when we make a field goal instead of being surprised when we miss.

Go back to last years Cup....Castillo was money....and they weren't gimme's ...Comparing his game to Edm. this year is just bulls$hit...Anyone playing for that loser had their stats. downgraded...When the game is on the line a true professional steps up...Shielding a guys performance from criticism just prolongs his effort to correct

Edited by Stickem

I have 100% faith in Liegghio to continue to get better. His last kick was blocked..... you guys know that, right? The blockers ****** him on that one. This is a (nearly) 95% CIS kicker, who went from being VERY questionable last year to one of the best all-purpose kickers in the league this year. He's going to be even better next year. I have no doubts in that whatsoever. He did not cost us last night's game.

1 hour ago, Stickem said:

Go back to last years Cup....Castillo was money....and they weren't gimme's ...Comparing his game to Edm. this year is just bulls$hit...Anyone playing for that loser had their stats. downgraded...When the game is on the line a true professional steps up...Shielding a guys performance from criticism just prolongs his effort to correct

Without Castillo's 5/5 G.C. performance last year, the Bombers wouldn't have repeated.

6 hours ago, Mandalorian said:

Just so we are clear, the winning team missed 3 field goals in the game and the losing team only missed one.  Both teams had a blocked field goal, so by all accounts, Toronto's kicker left more points on the field than Winnipeg's.  You can't hang the loss on the kicker. 

Absolutely agree with this post. It's a team game and our team didn't play very well.

I was saying all week that I was worried about Leggs with the game on the line and damn it came true. But had our offence played like it's normal self, and the correct adjustments made, it never would've happened.  I wonder about Mourtada, but he was a PR guy so he's now a UFA and likely gone. Maybe next year we go to Leggs punting and someone else kicking.

Yes, the offense could/should have been better

But one issue simply cannot be glossed over

The convert is a basic football play.  Make the convert after the punt return and this game would have most likely gone to OT

It has been a problem most of the season, and it's ironic that it wasn't the difference in a loss...until the championship game

4 hours ago, Noeller said:

I have 100% faith in Liegghio to continue to get better. His last kick was blocked..... you guys know that, right? The blockers ****** him on that one. This is a (nearly) 95% CIS kicker, who went from being VERY questionable last year to one of the best all-purpose kickers in the league this year. He's going to be even better next year. I have no doubts in that whatsoever. He did not cost us last night's game.

Fair. I think I was a little critical last night. The team as a whole was bad. His punting was bad last night. That field goal was blocked sure, but that thing was going waaaay left and it was low. It was a bad kick, too. The rudimentary xp should be worked out by now.

I think you and many other posters have fomo on legs. We've had quite a history of releasing kickers for them to go on to have good careers. Regardless, the osh mentality is to stick by his guys and if the regime thinks he's got the goods then I'm inclined to trust their judgment.

When I thought the game was going to come down to a legs kick, I had no confidence. 

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

you guys talk like converts are still 7 yards out. It's not as simple as it used to be, and it's not like he's the only one missing the odd one here and there. It's really insane to be this hung up on Liegghio. He was not the problem. 

Your right. If I thought it were the odd one ( I don't consider 2 missed xps in crucial games odd ones ) then I wouldn't be so persistent on this