Grey Cup early chat

Nolby

What about the emergence of Oliveira? That's a bigger storyline to me. All the pressure of becoming the starter, seemingly pushing his mentor out the door, with all the weight of back-to-back championships now on his shoulders to carry. 

Oliveira is the storyline. Harris who? He's not even their top RB. Go Bombers!

2 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

I mean…comparing a Bomber icon/maybe the most important player in our history to Glenn 

not a direct comparison at all.......just "former player cast aside is now angry".....nothing more than that. And I absolutely LOVED Harris while he was here, but most important player in our history is not an easy case to make. 

Just now, Noeller said:

not a direct comparison at all.......just "former player cast aside is now angry".....nothing more than that. And I absolutely LOVED Harris while he was here, but most important player in our history is not an easy case to make. 

I love Harris. Absolute fav. 8 is more important to this team. Without Zach, Zach, the Grey Cup Maniac, we're still in a drought. 

3 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Not even close. 

Wrong - so very wrong 

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I disagree, we aren’t winning in 2019 without Harris and his arrival was the final culture overhaul. 

Love ZC - but Harris has been more influential 

I don’t think guys like Alexander, Bighill, Jefferson, Jeffcoat etc etc are going to be easy on Harris. I have a feeling they are going to tee up on him and know his moves from years of practice against him. I’m really not worried about Harris having a big game. 

we also have to factor in the O’Shea factor who is 6-0 in Grey Cups as a player/coach. I’m no math wiz but that’s like 100%…

12 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Wrong - so very wrong 

Off the top of my head, in terms of importance to the team - Ken Ploen, Leo Lewis, Jack Jacobs, Bud Grant simply because had he not played here he likely would have not coached here later (lots of you younger guys forget to look past 2001), arguably Milt Stegall for his impact if not the Cup wins. If you are merely looking at the climb to the Grey Cup this recent go-round, Matt Nichols was huge in resurrecting the team from the ashes, Willie Jefferson and Adam Bighill led the defence which is really what the team won on the back of, Zach Collaros is just as if not more important, even Justin Medlock given how many close games we won on kicking points. I’ll even consider a Speedflex argument about Don Jonas in terms of “importance”. And I haven’t even touched on the core of those 1980’s Grey Cup teams. Or the overlooked importance of o-linemen like Chris Walby and Stanley Bryant. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

Just now, Bomber_fanaddict said:

I don’t think guys like Alexander, Bighill, Jefferson, Jeffcoat etc etc are going to be easy on Harris. I have a feeling they are going to tee up on him and know his moves from years of practice against him. I’m really not worried about Harris having a big game. 

we also have to factor in the O’Shea factor who is 6-0 in Grey Cups as a player/coach. I’m no math wiz but that’s like 100%…

Why would they go easy on him?

He is the enemy on Sunday. I want him to have 10 carries for -30 yards 

Just now, Bomber_fanaddict said:

Ouellette may be the bigger threat with his speed on those swing passes. 

13 minutes ago, JCon said:

What about the emergence of Oliveira? That's a bigger storyline to me. All the pressure of becoming the starter, seemingly pushing his mentor out the door, with all the weight of back-to-back championships now on his shoulders to carry. 

Oliveira is the storyline. Harris who? He's not even their top RB. Go Bombers!

exactly...feature this more, and footnote Harris....TSN will push and drive this Harris thing to no ends...he wasnt a difference maker in the games he played this season...wasn't last week, and wont be this week...but hope T.O shoves him the ball repeatedly as I know our defense will thoroughly enjoy stuffing him...and not giving him any chance or reason post game to spout off...and gloat...no way...no how...and U know damn well that Harris sooooo wants to do that based on solely on his ego and being butt hurt....plain and simple....and probably the main fuel to "get back" so fast....he prob saw as most did that T.O had a great chance to be in Grey Cup and hurried back...even if I bet not 100 percent so it could be all about him, and fuel his ego...10 bucks says BO out produces him sunday and is more impactfull...His hogs up front will make sure of it

3 minutes ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

they seen so much of him...they will know how to reigh him in...he will come out all gangbusters like the game earlier in yr...and then fizzle out...Oullette gives me more concern than on old Harris...his day in the sun is gone

Harris and Nichols were the catalysts of turning us from a perennial bottom feeder to a perennial playoff team. While Nichols helped get the ball rolling Harris was the ball itself. Without Harris there is likely no trade for Zach in the first place as I doubt we are even talking about a playoff run in 2019 at the trade deadline.

I will argue until I'm blue in the face that Harris has been the most important Bomber of my entire time as a fan (which goes back to the late 90s). I include Milt and Zach in that statement.

1 minute ago, Geebrr said:

He is definitely in the conversation, regardless of whether he hurt feelings. 

This isn't about hurt feelings. This is about Harris while being very good is clearly not the difference you think he was... I mean the team won 15 games and is in the Grey Cup this season again without Harris so maybe he wasn't even the most important piece on the teams that won?

Just now, 17to85 said:

This isn't about hurt feelings. This is about Harris while being very good is clearly not the difference you think he was... I mean the team won 15 games and is in the Grey Cup this season again without Harris so maybe he wasn't even the most important piece on the teams that won?

Re-writing history. Remind me who won both MVPs in the 2019 Cup?

This is a debate for another day- I’m not interested in pumping the tires of any non Bomber right now. 

We can do this in 2023 

7 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Re-writing history. Remind me who won both MVPs in the 2019 Cup?

This is a debate for another day- I’m not interested in pumping the tires of any non Bomber right now. 

We can do this in 2023 

Yes he was damned ******* good in that game no question about it. Earned the awards he did, should have been the league MOP that year.... but he is still just a running back, probably the most replaceable position in football. Always have a ton of respect for what he did for this team, but if he didn't come here it would have been some other running back doing the job adequately while the defense won us the 2019 grey cup.

1 hour ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

It will be a story only because Harris will make it one. Bombers won’t care, nor should they. But if he is asked I am confident he will still talk about being surprised/disappointed/hurt about not being re-signed and using it as fuel to prove to the doubters/haters that he still is the guy. And the media will play it up because controversy sells copy, even manufactured controversy. 

I think AH will come in hot on 'I'll let my play do the talking, I really don't care who we are playing I just want to win, you guys are the ones who want to stir this up, not me' and less on sharing his feelings about how he felt he was treated in not being re-signed by the Bombers. Unless of course there is a financial incentive in for him to go full disclosure on his feelings. 

Just a guess.

Just now, 17to85 said:

Yes he was damned ******* good in that game no question about it. Earned the awards he did, should have been the league MOP that year.... but he is still just a running back, probably the most replaceable position in football. Always have a ton of respect for what he did for this team, but if he didn't come here it would have been some other running back doing the job adequately while the defense won us the 2019 grey cup.

That 2019 squad was the definition of a Team effort. Gutsy efforts from all phases of the game that evening. It’s hard to call one guy more important then another when as a unit they played so well together. It was amazing to see them dominate all game long.