Redblacks at Back2Back Champs GDT

Nolby

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Honestly that’s all I dream of from our refs. Enforce the rules evenly team to team game to game. 

at this point why bother. He makes north of 100k. He’s been fined a crap ton and never given more than a slap on the wrist. At some point the league needs to give serious punishment to repeat offenders like him. 

Yeah, he seems to have a learning disability. If nothing else, the fine ends up on the record and may someday, as you request, lead to serious punishment. Suspensions for dirty play have occurred in the CFL. Brandon Dyson, tenacious center for the Blue basically could not play as he was penalized so often for low hits. I’d imagine, he got the label from the coaches as too dirty, a liability. 

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/cfl-suspends-brandon-dyson-1.311503

lawrence too, has been suspended and upheld by an arbitrator.    https://www.cfl.ca/2019/07/16/simoni-lawrence-suspension-upheld-arbitrator/

Edited by Rod Black

Just now, rebusrankin said:

TSN had a Dyson cam which helped run him out of the league, Lawrence gets praised as hard nosed, a warrior etc. Total BS.

Both Sanchez and stegall chose praise for Lawrence over critical comments. Wonder if there’s a code of some sort during broadcasts not to call a dirty prick a dirty prick.

On 2022-06-14 at 8:26 AM, TBURGESS said:

The spotter is specifically looking for concussion symptoms, not writhing on the ground & not to take players off the field to make sure they don't have a serious injury. If I was the Riders staff, I'd have taken him off for a 3 plays to assess the injury, but it's not up to the refs.

The hit on Shoen wasn't a missed call even tho it could have resulted in a serious injury. Targeting isn't in the rule book and you can't decide what's in a players mind especially in the split second real time that a ref needs to make their decisions.

Interesting that if it wasn't a missed call on Schoen the league fined Baltimore for the high hit on him. High hits above the shoulder pads are illegal and normally draws an unnecessary roughness penalty. The one on Collaris should have been called too as he was hit in the head. 

17 minutes ago, coach17 said:

Interesting that if it wasn't a missed call on Schoen the league fined Baltimore for the high hit on him. High hits above the shoulder pads are illegal and normally draws an unnecessary roughness penalty. The one on Collaris should have been called too as he was hit in the head. 

I’ve watched the replay a few times and it’s not obvious if Collaros was hit in the head by a player or the ground. There was no helmet to helmet or shoulder to helmet that I can see if you slow it down frame by frame. I think the forearm gets him and twists his neck, then he smacks his helmet on the turf. But that’s just one person’s interpretation. Kind of like the arm hit to the head of Dane Evans that knocked him out of the Grey Cup. In any event, for whatever they did not do right, at least the league spotter exercised caution and had him pulled for three plays. That much the league did do correctly to prevent more possible concussion damage. Video link below (enjoy the Dru Brown showing again). 

https://www.cfl.ca/2022/06/11/brown-seals-the-deal-for-winnipeg/

43 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I’ve watched the replay a few times and it’s not obvious if Collaros was hit in the head by a player or the ground. There was no helmet to helmet or shoulder to helmet that I can see if you slow it down frame by frame. I think the forearm gets him and twists his neck, then he smacks his helmet on the turf. But that’s just one person’s interpretation. Kind of like the arm hit to the head of Dane Evans that knocked him out of the Grey Cup. In any event, for whatever they did not do right, at least the league spotter exercised caution and had him pulled for three plays. That much the league did do correctly to prevent more possible concussion damage. Video link below (enjoy the Dru Brown showing again). 

https://www.cfl.ca/2022/06/11/brown-seals-the-deal-for-winnipeg/

Yeup. Looks to me like he tried to drive his helmet, containing his head, into the ground. 

Evans came in and lead with forearm and elbow to top of head...go watch it it's obvious....and that extra force when he was already basically down and tackled caused the head to bounce on turf...total missed call...and if u want to protect QB's and send that message...anything like that should be called 

American ncaa rule

Prohibited:

"Launch — a player leaving his feet to attack an opponent by an upward and forward thrust of the body to make forcible contact in the head or neck area

A crouch followed by an upward and forward thrust to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area, even though one or both feet are still on the ground

Leading with helmet, shoulder, forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area

Lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of the helmet

Players are also prohibited from targeting and marking forcible contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless player with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulder."

defenseless includes a player on the ground.

good rules.

Edited by Mark F

2 hours ago, Booch said:

Evans came in and lead with forearm and elbow to top of head...go watch it it's obvious....and that extra force when he was already basically down and tackled caused the head to bounce on turf...total missed call...and if u want to protect QB's and send that message...anything like that should be called 

Griffin actually tucked his chin and led with his helmet, which I'm pretty sure is also not allowed.  I would argue that both guys could have been called on that play.

Zach Collaros, Winnipeg Blue Bombers

From underhand flips to Brady Oliveira in space to an immediate connection with Greg Ellingson, Collaros was his usual cool, playful self in Week 1. It’s easy to forget now that Collaros has two Grey Cup wins and 20-starts under his belt with the Blue and Gold.

However, watching him battle against former Hamilton quarterback Jeremiah Masoli was reminiscent of Ticats’ training camp from nearly a decade ago, where the two former teammates would each run an offensive unit with their unique and successful styles.

For Collaros the order of the day was attacking Hamilton in the middle of the field.

After so much discussion about getting the ball to the edges and throwing vertically to the short side as a result of the hashes getting a readjustment this off-season, the CFL’s Most Outstanding Player in 2021 used his veteran savvy to go counterculture. Picking apart Ottawa the way he’s always done to opposing offences, maneuver the pocket with great ease and take the ball where the defence leads him.

COLLAROS-Wk-1-2022.png

https://www.cfl.ca/2022/06/14/ferguson-week-1-target-chart-analysis/

16 hours ago, JCon said:

The guy was fined. Obviously, it was an illegal and dirty hit. Despite what some will go on and on about. Despite them making up their own rules, week in, week out. 

But, seriously, just block it or stop quoting it so those that did bloxk that absolute nonsense don't have to see itt 

I don't make up rules. I post the rules. Targeting isn't a rule. It wasn't helmet to helmet. The receiver wasn't in a vulnerable position. The ball wasn't past him when he was hit. 

I'm not surprised that the DB was fined. That doesn't make it a penalty in real time.

If you don't want me to reply, then don't post 'alternate facts' IE: lies.

13 hours ago, Mark F said:

Example of Why Collaros  said that.

34 seconds in.

https://youtu.be/IyZcr9Rznpk

cfl should be ashamed.

watching this replay just makes me cringe... especially the juxtaposition of Suitor wondering aloud about Collaros having a "comeback" season followed by the clip of that hit... normally we're pretty anti-Riders around here, no matter the circumstances... but I remember everyone here agreeing what an absolutely horrible hit that was that should've seen Lawrence ejected and suspended for multiple games...

Best part about it is Zach got his revenge against Lawrence... and wearing the right colours 😁 

2 minutes ago, bearpants said:

watching this replay just makes me cringe... especially the juxtaposition of Suitor wondering aloud about Collaros having a "comeback" season followed by the clip of that hit... normally we're pretty anti-Riders around here, no matter the circumstances... but I remember everyone here agreeing what an absolutely horrible hit that was that should've seen Lawrence ejected and suspended for multiple games...

Best part about it is Zach got his revenge against Lawrence... and wearing the right colours 😁 

twice

21 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I don't make up rules. I post the rules. Targeting isn't a rule. It wasn't helmet to helmet. The receiver wasn't in a vulnerable position. The ball wasn't past him when he was hit. 

I'm not surprised that the DB was fined. That doesn't make it a penalty in real time.

If you don't want me to reply, then don't post 'alternate facts' IE: lies.

https://cfldb.ca/rulebook/fouls-and-penalties/major-fouls/

CFL Rulebook for 2022

Article 4 - Unnecessary Roughness

g. Delivering a blow to an opponent in the neck or head

Doesn't say anything about targeting, but it is absolutely in the rules that it is Unnecessary Roughness for hitting a player in the head, should have been a penalty, that's why it was fined.

2 minutes ago, Sard said:

CFL Rulebook for 2022

Doesn't say anything about targeting, but it is absolutely in the rules that it is Unnecessary Roughness for hitting a player in the head, should have been a penalty, that's why it was fined.

and contrary to some beliefs here..."targeting" is considered...looked at/for and a real thing even if not specifically worded as such in the rule book

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

and contrary to some beliefs here..."targeting" is considered...looked at/for and a real thing even if not specifically worded as such in the rule book

Is that not what they generally use to consider whether there should be a fine or not?  If they feel it was targeted, they will fine the offending player, but if it was accidental, then they usually don't issue a fine?

1 minute ago, Sard said:

Is that not what they generally use to consider whether there should be a fine or not?  If they feel it was targeted, they will fine the offending player, but if it was accidental, then they usually don't issue a fine?

basically yeah....any hit and an intent to hit the head will be fined after review of all games...even if penalty was missed...as we just seen

1 hour ago, Sard said:

CFL Rulebook for 2022

Looks like I didn't read far enough. I stopped at f when g was the answer. Based on this information, I change my opinion. It was a UR penalty.

1 hour ago, Booch said:

basically yeah....any hit and an intent to hit the head will be fined after review of all games...even if penalty was missed...as we just seen

It has nothing to do with intent.

Edited by TBURGESS

1 hour ago, bearpants said:

That was just awful. Genuinely thought that was the end of Zach’s football career. He looked so dejected after that cheap shot.