Redblacks at Back2Back Champs GDT

Nolby

Wilson had a tremendous game.  Speed, power, talent and football iq… what’s not to like?  That play where he tackled a surefire 20 yard run, while two RB blockers were trying to wash him out, is gonna get big props when they watch the film.

Rutledge made plays and flat out looks like he belongs.  

Yeah..Wilson been doing this since 2019....I think this yr he gets his recognition...guys just flat out good

Was really impressed with Rutledge...he's gonna be just fine..better than fine..and he did a great job against a Lapo offence which historically is one that keeps a SAM ultra busy...that was basically a get re-aquinted game...I bet next week is like night and day

Watching that first deep pass that Acklin dropped...safety cheated in assuming run support and Rose assumed over the top support in middle where BA should have and would have been...U also see Taylor recognized it and left his man and was in pursuit too...I chalk that up too the vets playing it as they normally would and expect help in the middle...also if u were paying attention pregame Sanchez even said expect Ottawa to attack the seams with a rookie in there...case in point on this particular one

28 minutes ago, Booch said:

Watching that first deep pass that Acklin dropped...safety cheated in assuming run support and Rose assumed over the top support in middle where BA should have and would have been...U also see Taylor recognized it and left his man and was in pursuit too...I chalk that up too the vets playing it as they normally would and expect help in the middle...also if u were paying attention pregame Sanchez even said expect Ottawa to attack the seams with a rookie in there...case in point on this particular one

Hard to tell with TSN angles but looked like Rose was on outside breaking route, Thompson on inside breaking route and Taylor covering a deep half.  Issue was when Thompson came downhill at that route Taylor had flattened out and both he and Rose realized it too late with Acklin having a running start.

The group clearly needs some time together to iron out communication.

Also wonder if Rose maybe has his mind of making the big play a little too much and jumping at the first move to try to get the ball.

7 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

From his foot and hip movement it looks like Brady has a hard-time changing direction, he's basically a straight ahead plough-horse.  He's light years behind Harris in technique at this point.

He's not as good as probably a top 5 RB of all time in only his 3rd start... bah what a crappy player :P 

9 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

I know it got discussed here last night but if you can pull a player for a headshot, why do you not assign the penalty to go with the head shot?

It's not a penalty in the CFL. When the qb is scrambling he is a RB...unless he slides feet first. Because Collaros didn't slide he was a running back and there is no helmet to helmet penalties in the CFL unless the guy being tackled is defenseless.

17 hours ago, Booch said:

I wish they’d put Taylor at S until ba is healthy. 

it’s got to be really hard for a db especially a vet to not know what to expect from their S. 

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

it’s got to be really hard for a db especially a vet to not know what to expect from their S. 

Taylor is just fine where he is.

I'm not even sure what you could do. Every position group minus the linebackers were not championship level. (receivers were okay). It was the first game though.

Getting Jeffcoat and Alexander back would be huge, but it's hard to say when that'll happen.

I think O'Shea is going to go with what he has, make corrections, and go into Ottawa with the same team but getting more out of everyone

From what I saw...the safety was always moving up and looking for the big hit on run support...or shorter crossers..and was leaving the deep middle and over top supper wide open...and I know our halbacks and corners were playing with that support supposed to be there...and that's from watching the actual field and positioning not from TV...rookie issues and communication problems obviously..I sure we see it fixed or a change this week ..we started 8 Canadians so technically we could go import at safety 

50 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

After watching the pre season games this was my biggest concern. Thompson is late to the play more than not. Alexander and Jeffcoat can't get healthy fast enough.

In Hall’s scheme all the DB’s need to be able to cover man whether in cover zero or one of the match zones where they are reading routes in combination.

That’s kind of the gap for the Canadian DBs who played more of a rover type safety coming up.  The safety in this system is basically a third halfback with more reads to make and more field to cover depending on the alignment of the offense.

The younger Hallett mostly played half at McMaster.  I would have thought he’d be a good fit for this system.  Generally though there’s no reason why we need to have a Canadian DB on the field every down with the ratio set up the way it is.  Play the best DBs we have.

I not sure why we were also playing so far off the line and recievers....maybe Hall didn't wanna show anything first game and didn't expect OTtawa to pose much a threat? I dunno but was very vanilla and passive schemes 

4 minutes ago, Booch said:

I not sure why we were also playing so far off the line and recievers....maybe Hall didn't wanna show anything first game and didn't expect OTtawa to pose much a threat? I dunno but was very vanilla and passive schemes 

I think that's part of it, but I think that's also Hall's MO....keep everything in front of you and let the pressure create opportunities. Problem is, when you don't get pressure....or the O beats the pressure you better have some play makers in the secondary. 

Watching games from last yr tho...we pressed more and didn't constantly give 10..12 yd cushions...be interesting to see if we throw a diff scheme at Lapo Friday and cause them big issues

8 minutes ago, Mike said:

If anything it’s a solid indication we don’t need to be playing a Canadian at safety. Not really sure why we went that route to be honest, it feels like we have plenty of options to see an American at safety considering Thompson was our eighth Canadian starter.

Agreed....think that experiment is done...or hope it is.

We have options to slot in there 

38 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

In Hall’s scheme all the DB’s need to be able to cover man whether in cover zero or one of the match zones where they are reading routes in combination.

That’s kind of the gap for the Canadian DBs who played more of a rover type safety coming up.  The safety in this system is basically a third halfback with more reads to make and more field to cover depending on the alignment of the offense.

The younger Hallett mostly played half at McMaster.  I would have thought he’d be a good fit for this system.  Generally though there’s no reason why we need to have a Canadian DB on the field every down with the ratio set up the way it is.  Play the best DBs we have.

Lest we forget, Richie Hall's system worked as designed for less than 1-1/2 Championship seasons, before that it was often a ****show, an improved front 7 has made the work of the D-backfield much easier.

Edited by Fatty Liver

1 hour ago, Fatty Liver said:

Lest we forget, Richie Hall's system worked as designed for less than 1-1/2 Championship seasons, before that it was often a ****show, an improved front 7 has made the work of the D-backfield much easier.

Nah.  Richie Hall’s defense made this team a contender.  The turnovers have been consistent since he joined.  The D held us in every game while the O was hit or miss.  And then with the right group of players the D was all-time dominant.

Even in this game with some breakdowns there’s no win if the D doesn’t get a two and out to get the ball back under the 3 minute warning.