Winnipeg Blue Bombers TC 2022

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

It's interesting that she went to the FreeP before she went to the cops. 

Thats not how I understood it.

"Police spokesman Jay Murray confirmed there’s an active complaint matching the incident-report number provided to the Free Press by the woman, and that it involves allegations of sexual assault."

So if she had an incident report number to provide the Freep she must have been in contact with the police beforehand. Unless the Freep told her to call back with an official complaint filed? Its unclear when exactly she spoke with either the Freep or the police but it is clear the club was informed on Tuesday

4 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

"Police spokesman Jay Murray confirmed there’s an active complaint matching the incident-report number provided to the Free Press by the woman, and that it involves allegations of sexual assault."

So if she had an incident report number to provide the Freep she must have been in contact with the police beforehand. Unless the Freep told her to call back with an official complaint filed? Its unclear when exactly she spoke with either the Freep or the police but it is clear the club was informed on Tuesday

You're right... I misinterpreted on first read. Re read it and you're right. No reason not to believe her story. 

47 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

42 minutes ago, Noeller said:

You're right... I misinterpreted on first read. Re read it and you're right. No reason not to believe her story. 

The article also says the club advised her to go to the cops so it does read as though the police were not initially involved.  

Wow the possible feel good comeback story ends terribly 

"On Tuesday, May 24, 2022, the (team) was made aware, via social media, of an alleged sexual assault involving one of our players, Jalen Saunders. Immediately, our club advised the individual who came forward to notify the Winnipeg police. At the same time, we began our internal review of the off-field incident, following the CFL policy of violence against women.

After our internal review, this player was immediately released from the roster by our organization. The Winnipeg Football Club takes violence against women and sexual assault seriously, and thanks the individuals for coming forward on this matter.”

And thanks the individuals... individuals with an S? Wow 

Edited by Goalie

How about innocent until proven guilty, folks?  Or even innocent until he’s at least charged? I’m all for listening to and protecting complainants, but to have your name splashed across the papers and labelled before charges are even brought is irresponsible journalism to me, seeing as how quickly some have already made up their mind. 

1 hour ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

How about innocent until proven guilty, folks?  Or even innocent until he’s at least charged? I’m all for listening to and protecting complainants, but to have your name splashed across the papers and labelled before charges are even brought is irresponsible journalism to me, seeing as how quickly some have already made up their mind. 

He wouldn't have been released after the Bombers did their own due diligence if he wasn't guilty. Don't kid yourself. 

7 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I believe you have the CFL mixed up with the Justice system. The CFL is under no obligation to prove anything.

Also **** Saunders. Hope a couple hours (yes this went on for hours) was worth the jail time.

6 hours ago, Goalie said:

He wouldn't have been released after the Bombers did their own due diligence if he wasn't guilty. Don't kid yourself. 

I'm guessing teams won't touch him and that he will likely be banned from signing a contract

8 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Maybe he's not guilty of a criminal offense... but there's a pretty good chance something happened... and it gives a bad look to the Bombers and the CFL... Bombers management won't stand for that... they released him and moved on... nothing more to see here, in my opinion

How does a guy who was given one last chance at continuing his pro career get himself into this situation within a week of arriving in town.   You would think he would be focused on winning a job rather then picking up young women at a bar.  

He’s not locked up.  He’s in the United States.  Who is judging guilt?  There’s no issue with terminology it’s an accusation.  But not going to help in a competitive battle for a roster spot.  The Bombers owe him nothing.

FIFO

Sexual predators rarely have more than one incident. I suspect that police in Hamilton and surrounding areas as well as the place Saunders was living are going to look at unsolved incidents to see if he fits any of them. These things are like pulling on a thread on a sweater- you don't know where you are going to wind up.

2 hours ago, blue85gold said:

Glad the Bombers acted swiftly here. Hope the days of teams covering for abusers is over (at least in the CFL, I don't have much hope for the NHL, NFL etc.)  

Truth. They did their own private investigation and found cause to dump him. That’s more than enough said. 

but of course the village contrarian is doing what he always does. 

15 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Just an FYI, Winnipeg Free Press sub can be had for $1.50 for 22 weeks due to Manitoba's 150.

Apparently incident happened during the long weekend, club found out Tuesday and he was cut the same day.

omg, thank you.

Just signed up.

1 minute ago, Wideleft said:

Meanwhile, he's back in the States and won't face justice unless he's extradited or makes the mistake of coming back to Canada if he's charged.  I hope the victim gets justice somehow.

Well, at the very least, it keeps him out of our city and likely out of professional sports.

I wonder how Walters and co. feel about bringing this into the city.