These are the good times people …

IC Khari

My low point as a Bomber fan came on the evening of September 27, 2013. As I sat alone in my section, watching some guy named Jason Boltus try to be a football player, I wondered if I was still able to do it. Could I still support what this once proud franchise had become? At that moment I never thought I'd live to see us win another Cup.

When we won last year, I didn't even know how to react. I celebrated way more this year. Last year was more like stunned silence. The nightmare was finally over.

Edited by sweep the leg

1 minute ago, sweep the leg said:

My low point as a Bomber fan came on the evening of September 27, 2013. As a sat alone in my section, watching some guy named Jason Boltus try to be a football player, I wondered if I was still able to do it. Could I still support what this once proud franchise had become? At that moment I never thought I'd live to see us win another Cup.

When we won last year, I didn't even know how to react. I celebrated way more this year. Last year was more like stunned silence. The nightmare was finally over.

100% same boat. Was so close to giving up once upon a time and legitimately believed we'd never see a GC in my lifetime. 2019 made me believe anything was possible. Absolutely anything. This year I truly expected a GC win, and was/am mad that it was even that close. Definitely celebrating way more, because I expect it now. This team isn't just good, it's a large gap better than the rest of the league. 

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

100% same boat. Was so close to giving up once upon a time and legitimately believed we'd never see a GC in my lifetime. 2019 made me believe anything was possible. Absolutely anything. This year I truly expected a GC win, and was/am mad that it was even that close. Definitely celebrating way more, because I expect it now. This team isn't just good, it's a large gap better than the rest of the league. 

Those years, the Tim Burke years, I was really close to just saying "**** it". There are other things I can do with my time and money.

21 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

My low point as a Bomber fan came on the evening of September 27, 2013. As I sat alone in my section, watching some guy named Jason Boltus try to be a football player, I wondered if I was still able to do it. Could I still support what this once proud franchise had become? At that moment I never thought I'd live to see us win another Cup.

That was by far my single lowest point as well.  I was disgusted and ashamed to be supporting that caliber of play.

I was way more excited after the win in 2019... I was hopeful but nervous as hell last year so when it happened I erupted.  Being in able to see that one in person may have also played a part in it.  No tears this year but there may have been, had we lost! 😂

42 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

Oof Boltus was bad... I don't even know if it's a made up memory of it happened... I just seem to remember him literally fumbling the ball away into the oppositions hands and not being able to make a basic throw. 

I think the lowest point though is before that time when we took a knee to go into OT despite having a tonne of time on the clock to at least attempt a few deep shots to move into field goal range.   I was in the crowd and it was a collective groan when they took the knee. 

8 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

That was by far my single lowest point as well.  I was disgusted and ashamed to be supporting that caliber of play.

I was way more excited after the win in 2019... I was hopeful but nervous as hell last year so when it happened I erupted.  Being in able to see that one in person may have also played a part in it.  No tears this year but there may have been, had we lost! 😂

In my 45 years of following the Bombers, there was only one period in their history where I checked out completely, and that was the Reinebold years.  I also was living in a foreign country and the internet was in its infancy at the time so it made it pretty easy to not pay attention to the Bombers.  I moved back a few months before Reinebold was fired so I was able to pick up the Bomber following again in the late 1990's and of course ride those few great Khari-Milt years.

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

I'm not even sure where the events would be held, and where exactly to book. Do they have Uber in Dirty Reg yet? ******' hillbillies....

Yes, they do. When we went to the LDC in 2019, we took an Uber from the East of town to the stadium. Very efficient and the horse and wagon moved remarkably quick through the dirt roads. 

3 minutes ago, JCon said:

Yes, they do. When we went to the LDC in 2019, we took an Uber from the East of town to the stadium. Very efficient and the horse and wagon moved remarkably quick through the dirt roads. 

Top 50 TV Cars Of All Time: No. 16, The Beverly Hillbillies' TruckREGINA UBER?

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

I had tickets to the 100th Grey Cup in 2012, honestly hopeful that the Bombers stood a chance to be there after a solid 2011 season. That hope vanished pretty quickly, though.
September 2012 was a traumatic month and probably the lowest I've ever felt as a fan. And that's saying something considering their 0-4 start to the season. 
I'll never forget the disgust I felt over the 52-0 blowout loss on Labour Day, watching Burke look completely lost in his new role after Mack pulled the rug out from under this team and LaPolice as though a head coaching change was somehow the solution to a roster filled with holes he chose to ignore in the off-season.
The Banjo Bowl (last ever at CanadInns Stadium) a week later was like having dirt kicked in one's face, as DeAngelis kicked the game winner. Seeing the Riders and their fans celebrate was just gross.
And then there was the 44-3 drubbing in Calgary a week after that. Brandon Collier laughing it up on the sidelines during that game was utterly infuriating to witness. I gave up on the team for a few weeks and then begrudgingly attended a game for free in what would be another pretty ugly loss at home to the Stampeders.
Fortunately GC100 in Toronto was still a fantastic time and I got to meet Chris Matthews and congratulate him on winning ROTY.

I know the following season was all kinds of ugly itself but I will say this: I had very little optimism going into 2013 with Bucko, Mack, and Burke running the show. Nothing changed in the off-season and so I had such low expectations from the get-go, as Mack once again addressed none of the issues with the roster and Burke just didn't have the traits of a competent HC. Unfortunately, that all cast an ugly shadow on the inaugural season at IGF, where the home team would manage all of one win there. Fortunately, that ended up being an absolute barn burner, watching the Riders get embarrassed by such an inept opponent. Seeing their fans leave the stadium looking as dejected as they did with the Bombers claiming victory was the highlight of that forgettable season.
All that said, Buchko and Mack were thankfully shown the door pretty early on, leaving Burke as nothing more than a placeholder and Walters to clean up the mess left by Mack's abysmal management. Miller and Walters had their work cut out for them but that ultimately became the starting point for the successful regime and winning culture now in place.

It took tons of patience but look how far this organization has come. Back-to-back champions and the class of the CFL.

2 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

All that said, Buchko and Mack were thankfully shown the door pretty early on, leaving Burke as nothing more than a placeholder and Walters to clean up the mess left by Mack's abysmal management. Miller and Walters had their work cut out for them but that ultimately became the starting point for the successful regime and winning culture now in place.

It took tons of patience but look how far this organization has come. Back-to-back champions and the class of the CFL.

I still have O'Shea's first game ever coaching for the Bombers in 2014 on my PVR, and I still fire it up once in awhile.  We kicked Toronto's butt in that game, and though we'd have a terrible season after Willy got destroyed, that game just felt different.  The abject despair was gone, replaced by a feeling that we were actually starting to build on something.  O'Shea had a pretty big learning curve and made a lot of mistakes, but you could feel the underlying culture shift.  We were starting to believe in ourselves again.  A feeling I hadn't felt in a long long time.

2 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I still have O'Shea's first game ever coaching for the Bombers in 2014 on my PVR, and I still fire it up once in awhile.  We kicked Toronto's butt in that game, and though we'd have a terrible season after Willy got destroyed, that game just felt different.  The abject despair was gone, replaced by a feeling that we were actually starting to build on something.  O'Shea had a pretty big learning curve and made a lot of mistakes, but you could feel the underlying culture shift.  We were starting to believe in ourselves again.  A feeling I hadn't felt in a long long time.

Fun day...remember it vividly. @17to85and I decided to try scotch that day, for the first time.....I still shudder at the thought. But it was a GREAT win, and just felt like the start of something special. Thank goodness for The Trinity and everything they've done...

21 hours ago, do or die said:

Still remember watching Ty in a couple of X games.....and thinking, holy cow, what do we have here.
What we had.....was a CFL Hall of Famer

Greg Battle in the middle with James West & Ty Jones on the outside. Best linebacking corps in the CFL hands down at the time.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Fun day...remember it vividly. @17to85and I decided to try scotch that day, for the first time.....I still shudder at the thought. But it was a GREAT win, and just felt like the start of something special. Thank goodness for The Trinity and everything they've done...

You both always stood up for those guys right from the start & never backed down when the majority of posters (myself included) wanted them fired. You were right & holy .... we were wrong. Props to you both for never giving up on them. Thankfully Wade Miller didn't either.

5 hours ago, sweep the leg said:

I credit the lean Bombers years with my ability to grasp probabilty so easily because week after week I would calculate their dwindly playoff percentages to get in lol.

40 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Greg Battle in the middle with James West & Ty Jones on the outside. Best linebacking corps in the CFL hands down at the time.

You both always stood up for those guys right from the start & never backed down when the majority of posters (myself included) wanted them fired. You were right & holy .... we were wrong. Props to you both for never giving up on them. Thankfully Wade Miller didn't either.

There was a Gary Lawless article shortly after Osh was hired, and he said "if you can withstand the first few years of a rebuild and show some patience, these guys WILL win you a Grey Cup"..... I will never forget that. He knew from the beginning. 

On 2021-12-13 at 1:37 PM, TBURGESS said:

Expect them to win every time they play no matter if it's at home or not. 

This is what I remember of the teams with Walby, clements, reaves..... younjust knew they were going to win.

I remember one of their playoff games..... so long ago, cant remember which one, close game, at the end they got the ball deep in their own end, and just ran the ball down the other teams's throat, one  run after another to run out the clock.

but I dont think those teams could beat this team. 

5 minutes ago, Mark F said:

This is what I remember of the teams with Walby, clements, reaves..... younjust knew they were going to win.

I remember one of their playoff games..... so long ago, cant remember which one, close game, at the end they got the ball deep in their own end, and just ran the ball down the other teams's throat, one  run after another to run out the clock.

but I dont think those teams could beat this team. 

No, the play on the line would be the difference.

6 hours ago, sweep the leg said:

I drove in all the way from Calgary to see that game. That was absolutely horrible. That was when I knew in the off season things would be blown up & they were. 

41 minutes ago, Noeller said:

There was a Gary Lawless article shortly after Osh was hired, and he said "if you can withstand the first few years of a rebuild and show some patience, these guys WILL win you a Grey Cup"..... I will never forget that. He knew from the beginning. 

And getting through those years was tough, but stopping the 3 year coaching carousel was probably the hardest job kyle walters had. It was all some people knew and were forever calling for o'shea's head.

59 minutes ago, Goldkobra said:

And getting through those years was tough, but stopping the 3 year coaching carousel was probably the hardest job kyle walters had. It was all some people knew and were forever calling for o'shea's head.

Thank God his boss knew football and knew to be patient. And, thankfully, the Board didn't panic and try to change anything.