Burke

Adrenaline_x

I repeat....what makes people believe there will be a huge surplus of money to spend before FA. If I AMA potential FA I want to see who gets hired here, who signs here and who I am playing for before I sign. All that has to happen before Dec. 31st if in fact there is Cap money left. Do you think the GM, HC situation will be resolved by then?

Walters will be around no matter what, I doubt he stays as permanent GM and likely goes back to his assistant position but, that doesn't mean he won't have authority to wheel and deal.

Oh and may I add that the man said they would spend less this year so they could make a big splash in free agency come 2014.

Did he actually say that? He knows we can cut anyone we want in the offseason, right? That statement makes no sense.

It makes quite a bit of sense actually, so I'm glad Walters/Mack put the team in this situation.

Use the leftover $$$ on guys like Etienne, Alex Hall, etc and give them bonus dollars to count against 2013 cap. Free up as much 2014 cash as possible for a guy like Collaros or some OL

Fair point, assuming those guys are willing to sign before the new CBA. All the more reason, then, to play guys like Pencer to develop them now. If we aren't spending for today, let's at least develop for tomorrow.

Speaking of the CBA, some modified form of RFA would be welcomed, IMO. Too hard to develop through the draft when a guy can just leave after two years.

Oh and may I add that the man said they would spend less this year so they could make a big splash in free agency come 2014.

Did he actually say that? He knows we can cut anyone we want in the offseason, right? That statement makes no sense.

It makes quite a bit of sense actually, so I'm glad Walters/Mack put the team in this situation.

Use the leftover $$$ on guys like Etienne, Alex Hall, etc and give them bonus dollars to count against 2013 cap. Free up as much 2014 cash as possible for a guy like Collaros or some OL

Fair point, assuming those guys are willing to sign before the new CBA. All the more reason, then, to play guys like Pencer to develop them now. If we aren't spending for today, let's at least develop for tomorrow.

Speaking of the CBA, some modified form of RFA would be welcomed, IMO. Too hard to develop through the draft when a guy can just leave after two years.

I would like to see Brody McKinght play the rest of the year. Lets see what the kid can do.

I would like to see Brody McKinght play the rest of the year. Lets see what the kid can do.

McKnight sucks but then again I haven't been impressed with Sandra either.

If cheaping out this year translates to huge signing bonuses for Muamba and maybe Collaros, it makes sense.  

January is due a bit of a raise, Hall probably due a raise although, if we need to sign Suber and Washington - yup...  try to extend Pencer before he plays too much?  Matthews should be signed...  none of these guys are going to bankrupt the club though...

Give Ian Wild a raise, Aaron Kelly is probably on a one-year deal I would think... same with Peach?  None of our NI receivers will cost big dollars, 

This really does show how cheap Mack was though...  we paid what $35,000 signing bonus to Hefney this season (?) and from the sounds of it had picked up around $200,000 of Buck's  contract... Morely is one of our higher paid OL and we haven't even 9-gamed him.  Don't be too sure that money saved won't be allocated to pick up to short fall from ticket sales.  It is Winnipeg after all...

Burke is way out of his league.  

Admittedly i thinks its fairly obvious we don't have the talent to be the best team in the league, but with essentially the same players Lapo had alot better success.

Part of Me thinks that Mack Handcuffed Burke by forcing who starts at QB and ignoring the issues with the O-line.  But Burke's in game decisions have lead to a few losses as well as calling out players and then retracting it later shows, to me atleast, that is is not the HC this team needs.

We need a HC with experience and the ability to deal with adversity as well as the ability to recongnize what isn't working and fix it.  We Need a HC that can allow the players they do have to accel and create and enviroment in which they can grow and reach their potential.

Burke hasn't shown us any of this so far.

Doug Brown I would love to slap the piss out of him... get him off the air he's arrogant, rude and downright unlikeable. 

Huh?  He's the only person on the panel not making excuses for Burke and his downright poor decisions.

Everything that happened after Edmonton's FG was crazy.  Taking a kickoff makes zero sense.  Edmonton isn't going to kick a ball that will be returnable, they aren't that stupid.  All that is going to do is waste time, and possibly lead to a scramble for the ball with (shaky) Ford back there.  Exact same thing I said about Palardy, I'll say about Goltz now.  If you don't have any confidence in him to make a throw and play quarterback, cut him and put someone else in there.  23 seconds and 1 timeout= 3 plays and a kick attempt.  Crime against humanity to take knees there.

If they want a season ticket base above 15,000 next season, Burke can't be back.

Ironically, I think Tim Burke would agree with you. Well maybe not the crime against humanity part. I really do believe in watching him he knows he's done, he wants to be done but can't bring himself to resign. Probably a mixture of his pride, management won't do it and a coach resigning during the season generally doesn't happen in the CFL so I'll hang on to the end of the year type mentaility.

Unless I am mistaken, the CFL salary cap contains a floor as well as a ceiling.  So any talk of the Bombers scrimping to make up ticket revenue shortfall doesnt hold water.  I believe the difference between the floor and ceiling is only about $200,000.  So they can realistically only save $200,000 more than any other team.

Doug Brown I would love to slap the piss out of him... get him off the air he's arrogant, rude and downright unlikeable. 

Huh?  He's the only person on the panel not making excuses for Burke and his downright poor decisions.

Everything that happened after Edmonton's FG was crazy.  Taking a kickoff makes zero sense.  Edmonton isn't going to kick a ball that will be returnable, they aren't that stupid.  All that is going to do is waste time, and possibly lead to a scramble for the ball with (shaky) Ford back there.  Exact same thing I said about Palardy, I'll say about Goltz now.  If you don't have any confidence in him to make a throw and play quarterback, cut him and put someone else in there.  23 seconds and 1 timeout= 3 plays and a kick attempt.  Crime against humanity to take knees there.

If they want a season ticket base above 15,000 next season, Burke can't be back.

Ironically, I think Tim Burke would agree with you. Well maybe not the crime against humanity part. I really do believe in watching him he knows he's done, he wants to be done but can't bring himself to resign. Probably a mixture of his pride, management won't do it and a coach resigning during the season generally doesn't happen in the CFL so I'll hang on to the end of the year type mentaility.

Pretty sure you forfeit your contract if you resign... as opposed to getting paid not to coach.  Not much of a decision there

All that has to happen before Dec. 31st if in fact there is Cap money left. 

No it doesn't. The SMS does not run on a calendar year. A new year starts in either mid-February (at the start of the FA period) or the beginning of March (I can't remember which date off the top of my head).

All that has to happen before Dec. 31st if in fact there is Cap money left. 

No it doesn't. The SMS does not run on a calendar year. A new year starts in either mid-February (at the start of the FA period) or the beginning of March (I can't remember which date off the top of my head).

The SMS runs on the calendar year.  The only way they can apply cap money from this season forward is if they convince guys they want to sign to extensions to take money up front.  High probability that Burke does not quite understand this as he spouts off.

Wrong...SMS is on the calendar year. 2013 ends Dec.31st.

CFLdb (which is a damn good website) indcates the SMS year is based on player's contracts which run from Feb 16 of one year to Feb 15 of the next.

Players get paid by the game (with roster and performance bonuses paid in lump sums on specified dates).  When contracts begin and end isn't relevant to the SMS.

Huh? He's the only person on the panel not making excuses for Burke and his downright poor decisions.

Everything that happened after Edmonton's FG was crazy. Taking a kickoff makes zero sense. Edmonton isn't going to kick a ball that will be returnable, they aren't that stupid. All that is going to do is waste time, and possibly lead to a scramble for the ball with (shaky) Ford back there. Exact same thing I said about Palardy, I'll say about Goltz now. If you don't have any confidence in him to make a throw and play quarterback, cut him and put someone else in there. 23 seconds and 1 timeout= 3 plays and a kick attempt. Crime against humanity to take knees there.

Ironically, I think Tim Burke would agree with you. Well maybe not the crime against humanity part. I really do believe in watching him he knows he's done, he wants to be done but can't bring himself to resign. Probably a mixture of his pride, management won't do it and a coach resigning during the season generally doesn't happen in the CFL so I'll hang on to the end of the year type mentaility.

Pretty sure you forfeit your contract if you resign... as opposed to getting paid not to coach. Not much of a decision there

This. I'm not making accusations or anything, but its crosses my mind that perhaps Burke knows he's a goner and has to a certain degree checked out, but wouldn't resign as it would let the Bombers off the hook for paying him. If they are going to let him go, I say demote him if possible, and if he doesn't want to do it, he can quit. At least then we aren't paying yet another coach to sit at home.

Players get paid by the game (with roster and performance bonuses paid in lump sums on specified dates).  When contracts begin and end isn't relevant to the SMS.

I'm trying to get confirmation on when the SMS year starts but in the meantime do you or anyone else have any proof the SMS runs the calendar year? 

Huh? He's the only person on the panel not making excuses for Burke and his downright poor decisions.

Everything that happened after Edmonton's FG was crazy. Taking a kickoff makes zero sense. Edmonton isn't going to kick a ball that will be returnable, they aren't that stupid. All that is going to do is waste time, and possibly lead to a scramble for the ball with (shaky) Ford back there. Exact same thing I said about Palardy, I'll say about Goltz now. If you don't have any confidence in him to make a throw and play quarterback, cut him and put someone else in there. 23 seconds and 1 timeout= 3 plays and a kick attempt. Crime against humanity to take knees there.

Ironically, I think Tim Burke would agree with you. Well maybe not the crime against humanity part. I really do believe in watching him he knows he's done, he wants to be done but can't bring himself to resign. Probably a mixture of his pride, management won't do it and a coach resigning during the season generally doesn't happen in the CFL so I'll hang on to the end of the year type mentaility.

Pretty sure you forfeit your contract if you resign... as opposed to getting paid not to coach. Not much of a decision there

This. I'm not making accusations or anything, but its crosses my mind that perhaps Burke knows he's a goner and has to a certain degree checked out, but wouldn't resign as it would let the Bombers off the hook for paying him. If they are going to let him go, I say demote him if possible, and if he doesn't want to do it, he can quit. At least then we aren't paying yet another coach to sit at home.

Yeah that's not legal.

Anyone who wants Burke fired right now is not thinking things through.

What's not to think through?

MB becomes interim HC until the end of the season. Bump his pay a bit and know he is gone to Ottawa. Tell him not to throw players under the bus in press conferences.

Burke is going to end more than his own carreer if he shows that little faith in his offence and tosses good defensive players under the bus. He is doing more harm than good by being kept around. Yeah, I get that he isn't going to quite (and I don't blame him) but he is not adding anything these days.

Anyone who wants Burke fired right now is not thinking things through.

What's not to think through?

MB becomes interim HC until the end of the season. Bump his pay a bit and know he is gone to Ottawa. Tell him not to throw players under the bus in press conferences.

Burke is going to end more than his own carreer if he shows that little faith in his offence and tosses good defensive players under the bus. He is doing more harm than good by being kept around. Yeah, I get that he isn't going to quite (and I don't blame him) but he is not adding anything these days.

You really think MB wants to take on HC as well as OC duties?  And do you really think, at this point, he's going to make that much of a difference?

Bumping up his pay would just mean that they'd be now not only be paying for Burke's position, but whatever they bump MB's pay up to as well.  And, as others have stated, we'd lose our only decent Defensive coach.

This year is a write off so why fire Burke. He's toast anyway. Blaming a player for a freak play does not say much about the man.  He reacted to the ball like most players would do. Why not take the time to find out who's the best GM they can get than set a plan to get him at his price. Getting unexperienced guys has not worked and it has not been cheap by any means. We have to get off this train of not wanting to pay for a good GM because we have another GM still on payroll.

Then that GM is instructed to get the best HC available again at his price then buy us a QB. People will say we can't afford it. Other teams are paying this guy, why can't we?  Our management expense right now is probably over what BC is paying only because we are paying for dead horses.