2021 (??) CFL Season

Noeller

29 minutes ago, bryan35 said:

Friend of mines Uncle was in the air force during WW2. Ironically he got sick with the German measels which prevented him from flying. His entire squadron got shot down while he was sick.

He drank every day...alcoholic. He never spoke much about war.

My Dad & uncles were the same. No one talked about the war. No one asked either. Kinda taboo without saying it. 

17 hours ago, Tracker said:

To validate what some have shared here: the father of a good friend served on the bomber crew that flew the most missions over Germany in WW2. Every one of the air crew turned to alcohol to anesthetize the memories and associated feelings and this produced a horrible childhood for my friend and his siblings all of whom succumbed to addiction as well. They were the walking wounded and far from few.

The children of these vet. heroes (I call them all heroes for their dedication to the country) were subjected to the same 'shell shock' (PTSD they call it now)...The offspring carry the same traits as their fathers, another fact that govt. fails to recognize...I know my mother went through hell and for a young woman carried a heavy burden for a lot of years...War ruins and take lives, more than we care to admit 

37 minutes ago, Stickem said:

The children of these vet. heroes (I call them all heroes for their dedication to the country) were subjected to the same 'shell shock' (PTSD they call it now)...The offspring carry the same traits as their fathers, another fact that govt. fails to recognize...I know my mother went through hell and for a young woman carried a heavy burden for a lot of years...War ruins and take lives, more than we care to admit 

This is going a bot off-topic, but someone proposed that if a country is thinking of going to war, it should be under three conditions:

All of the politicians who vote for a war will have the names of 10 of their closest friends/family put into a draw where 1 of these 10 will be drafted and sent to front-line positions,

All citizens and corporations will have a visible "war tax" put onto their income statements and,

No corporation would be allowed to make profit on the war and must supply all goods and services at cost. 

Thanks to Noeller & 17 to 85 for starting this side tracked conversation about fathers with PTSD leading to alcoholism from WW2 when they started talking about generations. I honestly thought I was the only one who suffered thru something like this when I was young. It's comforting to know some of you understand.  Just as I understand what you have been through.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

16 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Thanks to Noeller & 17 to 85 for starting this side tracked conversation about fathers with PTSD leading to alcoholism from WW2 when they started talking about generations. I honestly thought I was the only one who suffered thru something like this when I was young. It's comforting to know some of you understand.  Just as I understand what you have been through.

There's so many who can relate. I'm a grandson to a ww2 vet. And my dad has similar stories to what was shared here. My grandfather never talked about the war, turned to alcohol (for many reasons but it started when he got back) and his relationships suffered. This also had an impact on my relationship with my father (as I'm sure it has for many people). 

It wasn't until I was an adult that these things were discussed openly. But because they were I understand that some of the things my dad said or did aren't conductive to a healthy relationship between father and son, but it was what he knew...it was what he was exposed to. Knowing more, I have been able to adapt my fathering style to my kids. Likewise as he's gotten older, he's become much more emotionally available especially when grand kids arrived. He's said on multiple occasions, that he feels so lucky to have them because he can try to make up for the mistakes he made raising us.

These discussions are extremely important to help break these cycles trauma can create. 

5 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

There's so many who can relate. I'm a grandson to a ww2 vet. And my dad has similar stories to what was shared here. My grandfather never talked about the war, turned to alcohol (for many reasons but it started when he got back) and his relationships suffered. This also had an impact on my relationship with my father (as I'm sure it has for many people). 

It wasn't until I was an adult that these things were discussed openly. But because they were I understand that some of the things my dad said or did aren't conductive to a healthy relationship between father and son, but it was what he knew...it was what he was exposed to. Knowing more, I have been able to adapt my fathering style to my kids. Likewise as he's gotten older, he's become much more emotionally available especially when grand kids arrived. He's said on multiple occasions, that he feels so lucky to have them because he can try to make up for the mistakes he made raising us.

These discussions are extremely important to help break these cycles trauma can create. 

Hurt people hurt people. There are four non-negotiable steps to change and healing: awareness, closure, modeling of new behaviours and integration.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For those in Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, the city between them, and Montreal, would you go to a game that didn't involve the hometown team (or Bombers, if you're outside Winnipeg)? 

Seeing as the Ontario has already stated that they won't any crowds until September and BC has not approved the CFLs return to play plan, I wonder if we could host a select few games that don't involve the home team? 

I would go to support the CFL and to watch live football. I would likely boo both teams, though. 

8 minutes ago, JCon said:

For those in Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, the city between them, and Montreal, would you go to a game that didn't involve the hometown team (or Bombers, if you're outside Winnipeg)? 

Seeing as the Ontario has already stated that they won't any crowds until September and BC has not approved the CFLs return to play plan, I wonder if we could host a select few games that don't involve the home team? 

I would go to support the CFL and to watch live football. I would likely boo both teams, though. 

Honestly, no and I've had season tickets in both Calgary and Vancouver.

23 minutes ago, JCon said:

Sure, I'd just wear my Bomber gear, irritate the hell out of people (in a loving way of course) and carry a sign that says I'm here for the standings.

Alberta will approve it for sure. They will approve ANYTHING.... right now it's just about optics for them. But I have zero doubts that Alberta will be among the first (if not THE FIRST) to sign off on having the CFL fire up with fans in the stands. 

1 hour ago, JCon said:

Since I can see all the games for free on TV, I doubt I would unless it was the Bombers. Add in the fact that I live out of town and the practical likelihood is low. But if they had really cheap ticket prices ($5-10) or free and free parking it could be a fun time, and the team would probably soak me on concessions. As long as the league covered the cost of hosting the game and the Bombers did not have to eat the cost of game production, it might be an idea to consider. As has been said, getting out to do anything social would be a welcome change. 

We're talking one or two games max. Just a way to get in 14 games. I really don't want Al  the Bombers home games concentrated into August with only one or two at home through September/October/November. Although the weather can sometimes be dodgy, I love fall games at the stadium.  

Actually, I love summer games there too. But, I like it spread out. 

50 minutes ago, bryan35 said:

Really hope the season gets going by Labour Day. Right now things are moving in the wrong direction.

nah, it's trending the right way for most of Canada. Manitoba is in the absolute worst of it right now, and they're the last province to see this part of the pandemic. It's going to start looking MUCH better within weeks. I feel, based on vaccine uptake, we're going to be looking really good for a Labour Day start at the very latest....

7 hours ago, Noeller said:

Alberta will approve it for sure. They will approve ANYTHING.... right now it's just about optics for them. But I have zero doubts that Alberta will be among the first (if not THE FIRST) to sign off on having the CFL fire up with fans in the stands. 

They didn't approve fans for Oilers games.

4 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

They didn't approve fans for Oilers games.

coming soon -- COVID was raging out of control. Word on the street is 2nd round of playoffs (should they make it that far) would see fans in stands. As long as the numbers keep trending in the right direction...

On 2021-05-20 at 9:57 AM, TBURGESS said:

Alberta government has not issued official approval of CFL return-to-play protocols - https://3downnation.com/2021/05/19/alberta-government-has-not-issued-official-approval-of-cfl-return-to-play-protocols/

That leaves Winnipeg and Regina. Hard to see how that works for the CFL.

Last year they had it all figured out to operate just out of winnipeg, im not worried about the logistics in that way soo much. 

18 hours ago, bryan35 said:

Really hope the season gets going by Labour Day. Right now things are moving in the wrong direction.

QFT. A LD kick off to the season would be interesting. Do we play the riders or the cats? If we started the week before itd be the most intense first month of games ever. GC re match, LD, banjo bowl, and hope fully a buy week lol. 

I fully believe that once we get through this current wave of the pandemic, we're going to be through it for good. People will be vaccinated to protect us against future waves. Manitoba is the last province to see the crest of the wave, and once they're through it, things are going to look pretty good across the country. We'll start looking like the States are right now. I really believe that's about a month or two away. Labour Day CFL start is still very much in play, if not a certainty....

47 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I fully believe that once we get through this current wave of the pandemic, we're going to be through it for good. People will be vaccinated to protect us against future waves. Manitoba is the last province to see the crest of the wave, and once they're through it, things are going to look pretty good across the country. We'll start looking like the States are right now. I really believe that's about a month or two away. Labour Day CFL start is still very much in play, if not a certainty....

100%.