2021 (??) CFL Season

Noeller

3 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I really dont get how people talk about maas, their wrs and all these issues involving their deep ball. CF tosses horrible deep balls, he's been missing guys by a mile. Their ol sucks. But it sucked in 19. He buys time with his feet and still misses down field. Teams have adjusted to what he does and have taken away his strength. He hasnt grown or adjusted at all. 

I believe the game film will show that the receivers are getting open downfield and Faj just can't hit them. I'm looking forward to reading the article. 

11 minutes ago, JCon said:

I believe the game film will show that the receivers are getting open downfield and Faj just can't hit them. I'm looking forward to reading the article. 

I hope its an honest look and not some primping of the situation for rider fan clicks. Mcadoo was run out of town on a rail for CFs failing. Maas, despite being a world class dbag, is a great oc. Right now CF is rick mirer  2.0 He got by on a lot of support and simple plays. When teams adjusted to what he did and really studied game film the holes were gigantic. Its all on CF right now, he has to improve if his career is going to be any thing more than a flash in the pan. 

If any thing the quality of this article will be a major judgement of ferguson. The CFL needs good reporting in the worst way. My fingers are crossed for a great piece. 

2 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I hope its an honest look and not some primping of the situation for rider fan clicks. Mcadoo was run out of town on a rail for CFs failing. Maas, despite being a world class dbag, is a great oc. Right now CF is rick mirer  2.0 He got by on a lot of support and simple plays. When teams adjusted to what he did and really studied game film the holes were gigantic. Its all on CF right now, he has to improve if his career is going to be any thing more than a flash in the pan. 

If any thing the quality of this article will be a major judgement of ferguson. The CFL needs good reporting in the worst way. My fingers are crossed for a great piece. 

I feel like Ferguson does good analysis but pull his punches when publishing articles. He's in a tough spot with his role as play by play for TSN but also trying to be an objective journalist. 

About to read it: https://www.cfl.ca/2021/11/05/ferguson-getting-sasks-offence-playoff-ready/

5 minutes ago, JCon said:

I feel like Ferguson does good analysis but pull his punches when publishing articles. He's in a tough spot with his role as play by play for TSN but also trying to be an objective journalist. 

About to read it: https://www.cfl.ca/2021/11/05/ferguson-getting-sasks-offence-playoff-ready/

EH it was so so imop. He says a lot with out actually saying any thing. The fact he doesnt list half the rider alignments is pretty lame. He has 9 formation alignments where he doesnt list them. And only lists 3. He doesnt list the heavy 11 set either team uses. And he clearly isnt factoring in the amount of times the bombers come out in a single back set and motion to an empty back field. The bombers use motion in the formation a LOT. From wr sweep, to pinching guys into a TE slot or flexing backs out of the back field. The riders variety comes more directly. 

The amount of times we pinch woli or adams into an 11 formation for runs is gigantic. If you factored motion in the splits would actually look very similar for 5-1 and 4-2/11 formations. We very seldom run any one from the fb positions. Its not even an Hback role, its a blocking te. 

The bombers offense has diversified in scheme usage. Yankee concept using play action and timing routes at the vacated Lbers positions to guys like bailey and demski.  Weve added dagger, a spread buck sweep, stick and more. The riders have done so by just adding packages and formations. 

The real big difference in the bomber offense is that its unpredictable. You used to be able to anticipate the run calls with tremendous accuracy under plop. Now, not only will we pass or run in any situation, we PA a lot, and we will run the same play out of any formation. That works because we have multiple effective offensive schemes. Fast screens to wrs, sweeps, runs, timing in/outs to guys like lawler, etc. The riders in 19 had 1 major hot route and a running game. With the ability to buy time and chunk yards with CF legs. Teams have covered the timing slant differently, the riders dont have the OL to focus on the run (or the rb), and teams arent bum rushing CF and letting him spin to freedom. 

29 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

this line is fantastic and hilarious... but sooo true

25 minutes ago, bearpants said:

this line is fantastic and hilarious... but sooo true

well.....he has quit throwing his headset......seems to have controlled his temper....BUT his coaching overall is  so esks.....er I mean elks......Wasn't all that successful there or he'd still be head man.....Faj is the beneficiary of his  experience as a coach but the sideline argumentative banter they have on the sideline makes me wonder if they're a good fit

Edited by Stickem

1 minute ago, Sard said:

Don Matthews?

I considered him, but honestly I didnt dislike the don. I know plenty of people do, but he was a very early players coach and you knew what to expect with him. The mtl bomber rivalry was great and heated as can be back then. I hated some als players, like philion. But I kind of appreciated the dons style of coaching and strategy. Play hard hyper aggressive football for the whole game. They played a TON of cover 0 and if teams didnt like it, they could come up with ways to beat it. Imo that defense was a big reason why the 5wide spread is soo popular now. Teams tried every thing to beat that rush and what really ended up doing it was spreading the field and throwing quick patterns. 

3 hours ago, wbbfan said:

I really dont get how people talk about maas, their wrs and all these issues involving their deep ball. CF tosses horrible deep balls, he's been missing guys by a mile. Their ol sucks. But it sucked in 19. He buys time with his feet and still misses down field. Teams have adjusted to what he does and have taken away his strength. He hasnt grown or adjusted at all. 

Yeah. Exactly. 

5cd699d02100005900c63b2c.gif?ops=scalefi

I include this image not to poke fun, but rather because it encapsulates a lot of the player and the man in one clip. And like the clip and the full story, there was more to the man than meets the eye. 

I will honestly say i was never a fan of Angelo Mosca, and I don’t feel bad saying that upon his death. Angelo himself would not be offended, he probably would have chuckled and been proud that he could still garner such an opinion, because everything about him was to make an impression, to be memorable, whatever you thought of him. 

As a player, he was a beast, appearing in a record 9 Grey Cups and earning 5 rings. But he was also one the original “dirtiest player around” candidates in football. His late out of bounds hit on BC’s Willie Fleming knocked the star running back out of the 1963 Grey Cup and changed the course of the whole game. Mosca was also a mouthy guy, the kind of player you would love if he was on your team but also the guy you would hate if he was an opponent. In part because he was so good. 

As I was just a bit too young to see him as a player, I first became familiar with him as a pro wrestler. And there is likely where a lot of the hate came in, as he revelled in playing the heel. Then I went back to his playing career, already influenced by my dislike of the “King Kong Mosca” persona, and every thing I took into account about his style of play in hindsight served as confirmation bias that he was a dirty SOB. Plus, he was a Tiger Cat, the mortal enemy of the Blue Bombers. 

So when I saw the Joe Kapp beat down, it made me smile. Mosca again the heel, refusing the peace offering and swinging a cane at a guy. Then getting knocked on his ass. FAFO. Nice revenge for the dirty hit in ‘63. 

But in between that I saw the guy who did charity work, was a tireless devotee, promoter and champion of the CFL after his playing days were done, and was an outgoing gregarious character with a great sense of humour. So it made my relationship with this “enemy” more complicated. A lot of my childhood assumptions about fandom and love and hate of players got a harsh reality check. I have been told I am overprotective of players, and someone like Mosca is part of the reason why. I frequently remind myself that behind the jersey, behind the number is a human being just trying to keep a temp job where being fired or injured for life is just a play away, all the while having to deal with indignant fans who hate your guts because of the colour of your uniform or what you do in your worst moment rather than because of who you are. And who just wants to perform, to entertain.

One footnote to the Joe Kapp scrap. Mosca sold the cane from that incident at an auction for just under $8,000, and donated the money to the CFL Alumni Association to help former players in financial distress. Once again defying my expectations.

So farewell to Angelo Mosca, a giant of a player and a giant of a man. You will not be forgotten. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

1 minute ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

5cd699d02100005900c63b2c.gif?ops=scalefi

I include this image not to poke fun, but rather because it encapsulates a lot of the player and the man in one clip. And like the clip and the full story, there was more to the man than meets the eye. 

I will honestly say i was never a fan of Angelo Mosca, and I don’t feel bad saying that upon his death. Angelo himself would not be offended, he probably would have chuckled and been proud that he could still garner such an opinion, because everything about him was to make an impression, to be memorable, whatever you thought of him. 

As a player, he was a beast, appearing in a record 9 Grey Cups and earning 5 rings. But he was also one the original “dirtiest player around” candidates in football. His late out of bounds hit on BC’s Willie Fleming knocked the star running back out of the 1963 Grey Cup and changed the course of the whole game. Mosca was also a mouthy guy, the kind of player you would love if he was on your team but also the guy you would hate if he was an opponent. In part because he was so good. 

As I was just a bit too young to see him as a player, I first became familiar with him as a pro wrestler. And there is likely where a lot of the hate came in, as he revelled in playing the heel. Then I went back to his playing career, already influenced by my dislike of the “King Kong Mosca” persona, and every thing I took into account about his style of play in hindsight served as confirmation bias that he was a dirty SOB. Plus, he was a Tiger Cat, the mortal enemy of the Blue Bombers. 

So when I saw the Joe Kapp beat down, it made me smile. Mosca again the heel, refusing the peace offering and swinging a cane at a guy. Then getting knocked on his ass. FAFO. Nice revenge for the dirty hit in ‘63. 

But in between that I saw the guy who did charity work, was a tireless devotee, promoter and champion of the CFL after his playing days were done, and was an outgoing gregarious character with a great sense of humour. So it made my relationship with this “enemy” more complicated. A lot of my childhood assumptions about fandom and love and hate of players got a harsh reality check. I have been told I am overprotective of players, and someone like Mosca is part of the reason why. I frequently remind myself that behind the jersey, behind the number is a human being just trying to keep a temp job where being fired or injured for life is just a play away, all the while having to deal with indignant fans who hate your guts because of the colour of your uniform or what you do in your worst moment rather than because of who you are. And who just wants to perform, to entertain.

One footnote to the Joe Kapp scrap. Mosca sold the cane from that incident at an auction for just under $8,000, and donated the money to the CFL Alumni Association to help former players in financial distress. 

So farewell to Angelo Mosca, a giant of a player and a giant of a man. You will not be forgotten. 

6 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I just think it's sad that Angie & Kapp will be remembered for that fight than for their football careers. As Mosca was a former WWE wrestler I wonder if fans thought it was a shoot. 

Mosca was promoting a book at the time, so there are rumours that this was staged. And neither player has ever confirmed or denied it when it has been brought up. 

1 hour ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Mosca was promoting a book at the time, so there are rumours that this was staged. And neither player has ever confirmed or denied it when it has been brought up. 

I definitely thought it was a work (not a shoot) because of his wrestling background...