Bomber Free Agent Discussion

M.O.A.B.

52 minutes ago, Stickem said:

As well,,,does Streveler want to play another position orrrr is/was his dream always to be the guy behind centre ...I know some will say ...hey it's the money man BUT what is going on in Chris's mind ..especially if it means his dream of being a no 1 quarterback will most likely elude him down south...If the nfl looks at him as nothing more than a glorified running back, maybe that's something he will have to come to grips with...Could he become a very well paid qb. in our league eventually (reilly money) or is the draw of mega money down south just too strong...His decision and one I'm sure that has crossed his mind

From what I know Chris really wanted to put the time and effort into becoming a top starter a a QB and was more than happy to have a long CFL career doing so, and had no interest/intent of bouncing around in NFL camps...on and off PR's

Possibly this has changed, but I doubt it, and if he plays his cards right and further develops in Canada he can parlay that, even this year in contract money that would equal, and likely surpass what he would get as a PR guy down there, as that is what most likely he will be this year, and basically have minimal reps/opportunity to grow his QB skills in the NFL....I think also he needs to fight the right situation for what he offers, which isn't a big thing there yet...he's be getting beat up a heck of a lot more there trying to earn his keep than he would in Winnipeg as the quarter back 1b

2 hours ago, Booch said:

From what I know Chris really wanted to put the time and effort into becoming a top starter a a QB and was more than happy to have a long CFL career doing so, and had no interest/intent of bouncing around in NFL camps...on and off PR's

Possibly this has changed, but I doubt it, and if he plays his cards right and further develops in Canada he can parlay that, even this year in contract money that would equal, and likely surpass what he would get as a PR guy down there, as that is what most likely he will be this year, and basically have minimal reps/opportunity to grow his QB skills in the NFL....I think also he needs to fight the right situation for what he offers, which isn't a big thing there yet...he's be getting beat up a heck of a lot more there trying to earn his keep than he would in Winnipeg as the quarter back 1b

If that was really the case he would have already re-signed in Wpg. and wouldn't have put his name down for a "bunch" of NFL tryouts, being as intelligent as he is he probably already knows  how NFL teams intend to make use of his talent.   I doubt any will seriously consider letting him read a D or throw the ball.  I think he'll do whatever is asked, for the maximum payment that can be achieved, no matter the location.......no different than most football players. 

6 hours ago, Mike said:

Streveler is almost definitely gone, he doesn't need to be a quarterback in the NFL, he can be an athlete and teams will find ways to use him. 

The NFL is loaded with athletes though,  he's not *that* freakish in his athletic abilities.    If it was all about being a great athlete then Whitehead would still be in the NFL.     

55 minutes ago, Brandon said:

The NFL is loaded with athletes though,  he's not *that* freakish in his athletic abilities.    If it was all about being a great athlete then Whitehead would still be in the NFL.     

also nick what's his name former Bomber running back.

3 hours ago, Brandon said:

Whitehead is 180 lbs speed guy who can't run routes, has average hands and doesn't play through contact.  Whitehead has exactly one skill.

Streveler is 230 lbs, runs sub 4.4 40 and is a football player.  He willed the Bombers to wins against the other top two teams in the West this season.  We're talking about a guy who has the athletic ability and the intangibles.  Everybody in the world knows what's coming and he can run through and past a defense that knows exactly what he's going to do.  That's a freak.

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Whitehead is 180 lbs speed guy who can't run routes, has average hands and doesn't play through contact.  Whitehead has exactly one skill.

Streveler is 230 lbs, runs sub 4.4 40 and is a football player.  He willed the Bombers to wins against the other top two teams in the West this season.  We're talking about a guy who has the athletic ability and the intangibles.  Everybody in the world knows what's coming and he can run through and past a defense that knows exactly what he's going to do.  That's a freak.

Against CFL level of talent...  he was running through guys in his college year also and didn't get a sniff.   

I'm not knocking the guy but I think people are vastly over rating what he is.   He clearly won't be a QB in the NFL,   he would need to put on 30 - 40 lbs to be a tight end or full back....    He won't be a RB....  so where does he fit?  Receiver?  Somewhere on D?  

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

Against CFL level of talent...  he was running through guys in his college year also and didn't get a sniff.   

I'm not knocking the guy but I think people are vastly over rating what he is.   He clearly won't be a QB in the NFL,   he would need to put on 30 - 40 lbs to be a tight end or full back....    He won't be a RB....  so where does he fit?  Receiver?  Somewhere on D?  

He'd play RB & slot. An NFL team would move him around. 

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Not true.  After his pro day, he had interest from a few NFL teams but he wanted something more substantial than mini-camp invites.  

Where does Taysom Hill fit in? He fits in like that.

New Bombers QB Chris Streveler has off the charts athleticism

Justin Dunk Justin Dunk
2 years ago

Chris Streveler is an athletic freak.

He’s turned in a 4.45-second 40-yard dash, posted a 38.5-inch vertical, and fired off a 10-foot, five-inch broad jump – all at six-foot-two, 209 pounds.

Each of the three testing results would have been top among all quarterbacks who attended the 2018 NFL Combine. But take the QB position designation away for a second, and those numbers would be high among any skill position group – and they are certainly elite for signal callers.

vs 

Hill showed impressive athletic ability at BYU's pro day. His 40-yard dash of 4.44 seconds and 38.5-inch vertical jump would have finished first among all participating quarterbacks at the 2017 NFL Combine, beating Texas A&M's Trevor Knight's 4.54-second 40-yard dash and 35.5-inch vertical.[22]m

Also, Streveler actually played TE/WR in college, which Hill did not do.

9 hours ago, Brandon said:

Football player. 

10 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

ACtually Strev is not 230....he is about 220 on a heavy day...and doesnt run a sub 4,40...his make up is a dime a dozen in the U.S....And many are slightly more polished...even the ones coming out of top NCAA programs even though Strev has 2 years of pro experience...he may get a sniff....but be hard pressed to make an active roster there and doubt wants to bounce around on PR's...he has already said that 

He also has never played teams...and sure he can learn but why would a team roster him for that and have him learn on the fly, and not be very proficient at it when they have umpteen other prospects to choose from who can do it..and do it well

I think a lot of guys think he's massive like how Sellers was.... he's to small to play FB/TE but also to big to play RB.   His only chance would be at receiver in which he would also be extremely raw.   People forget that the NFL really is black and white with their guys unlike the CFL.   They will not modify the offense like LaPo for a guy like Strev.  

One thing that bothers me about Chris's tryouts....how is he performing at a 100 per cent and really showing his abilities to a prospective team down south....We know he was hobbled and you would think that this is still hampering him some what...Would an nfl team sign him and hope ....just go by video clips of his game up here....If I was management of a club wanting to sign him I would definitely be ...just say a little tenuous without seeing him at his best up close and personal before inking him to big dollars...Just curious

The #Bombers have added 6’5” 256lb defenesive end Justin Alexandre , according to the CFL Transaction wire. Alexandre spent time with the NY Jets as an undrafted free agent in 2019 out of the University of the Incarnate Word.

9:52 PM · Jan 13, 2020 from Winnipeg, Manitoba·Twitter for iPhone

29 minutes ago, Stickem said:

One thing that bothers me about Chris's tryouts....how is he performing at a 100 per cent and really showing his abilities to a prospective team down south....We know he was hobbled and you would think that this is still hampering him some what...Would an nfl team sign him and hope ....just go by video clips of his game up here....If I was management of a club wanting to sign him I would definitely be ...just say a little tenuous without seeing him at his best up close and personal before inking him to big dollars...Just curious

Theyve seen his athleticism and have tons of tape on it.  I would think they are much like draft interviews with some tossing of the ball. More about reading a D, play break downs etc with a chance to see his throwing mechanics up close. 

I think a lot of guys think he's massive like how Sellers was.... he's to small to play FB/TE but also to big to play RB.   His only chance would be at receiver in which he would also be extremely raw.   People forget that the NFL really is black and white with their guys unlike the CFL.   They will not modify the offense like LaPo for a guy like Strev.  

No one employs a sellers esq H-back though. A big fb today is 20lbs lighter then sellers in his cfl days. I dont see that roll being a good fit either though. More like a wing back as we use demski if any thing. The nfl does far more micro managing of packages based around play subs. 

56 minutes ago, Stickem said:

I don't believe Streveler is able to participate in workouts yet, he's still recovering from what sounded like ankle surgery.

13 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

4-8.

20 hours ago, Booch said:

My understand was that he didn't want to be camp fodder which he would have been. His agent encouraged him to come up to the CFL and work his way towards a future shot at the NFL.  You can bet that if there's a team who seriously wants gimmick QB like the Saints have in Hill and were offering a decent bonus to Streveler to compete for that role he'd be interested.