Bomber Free Agent Discussion

M.O.A.B.

1 hour ago, Booch said:

3rd time through the grinder there for Sayles..I'd say its make an active roster or nothing for him..doubt he is a PR candidate anymore

Here is the problem. We can't sit around hoping these guys free up in August or September.

The money will be spent elsewhere, and the Bombers may not be in a position to sign them

1 hour ago, Geebrr said:

Here is the problem. We can't sit around hoping these guys free up in August or September.

The money will be spent elsewhere, and the Bombers may not be in a position to sign them

No I sure we wont stand pat..Mike Jones has emerged and can easily replace one or other..also Alexander can play either spot too..if we flip the safety back to a National spot (not named Hecht)

Rios as well has great potential and tho exposed a bit late in yr that was more due to inexperience and the fact our safety at the time couldn't cut it.

Not too worried about the defensive back losses to be honest...it sucks but that's the business...

18 hours ago, Booch said:

No I sure we wont stand pat..Mike Jones has emerged and can easily replace one or other..also Alexander can play either spot too..if we flip the safety back to a National spot (not named Hecht)

Rios as well has great potential and tho exposed a bit late in yr that was more due to inexperience and the fact our safety at the time couldn't cut it.

Not too worried about the defensive back losses to be honest...it sucks but that's the business...

It definitely sucks losing 2 all-stars from your secondary.

Legit play makers. 

16 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

It definitely sucks losing 2 all-stars from your secondary.

Legit play makers. 

True, but look at the recent past- Bombers lost a starting QB and played without their all-star MLB for weeks but still rallied to win it all. Walters has a way to go to be another John Hufmagel, but he has done very well in filling needs, and kudos to the scouting staff.

defensive backfield has been an ongoing problem, and only got good later in the season, easy to blame it on replacing Hecht but, probably a bit more to it than that.

This group smothered league's best receivers. losing part of it is not easy to fix.

Edited by Mark F

Hecht being replaced was a huge upgrade...he was such a liability out there in coverages.

The two guys we are losing will hurt, but we could have a TC surprise, plus there are a whack of good DB's available who would prob love to come here and play.

Personally I would look to target Ciante Evans as a Rose replacement, and prob will cost us about the same price, Even Jonathon Rose outta Ottawa would be a decent replacement at a cheaper price tag.

Mincey as well is available and one I would look at if I was Walters at the HB spot, as well as Dozier in BC...he'd be the perfect replacement for Alexander at safety (if our ratio can allow it) and a backfield of one of Evans/J.Rose and Mike Jones on the corners with Alexander and Mincey at the Half's would not be too shabby in the least..Plus we may still have Taylor in the mix, and though he is over 30 now hasn't lost a step yet and played well...plus consistency is important too while we fine tune the backfield, much like we did this year

14 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

DBs have been also really easy to pick up in FA.

Yep, and while losing Rose & Sayles is a definite loss, Walters can use that money towards picking up a DB in FA.  He also doesn't have to worry about the pay raises both guys were (deservedly) going to want next season.

1 minute ago, bigg jay said:

Yep, and while losing Rose & Sayles is a definite loss, Walters can use that money towards picking up a DB in FA.  He also doesn't have to worry about the pay raises both guys were (deservedly) going to want next season.

Yeah forgot to mention in my post cost wise we can prob save a few bucks with a free agent pickup who can give us similar production, and still allow us to have that NFL cut-down money to possibly bring one of them back if they are freed up after NFL camps...

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

Hecht being replaced was a huge upgrade...he was such a liability out there in coverages.

The two guys we are losing will hurt, but we could have a TC surprise, plus there are a whack of good DB's available who would prob love to come here and play.

Personally I would look to target Ciante Evans as a Rose replacement, and prob will cost us about the same price, Even Jonathon Rose outta Ottawa would be a decent replacement at a cheaper price tag.

Mincey as well is available and one I would look at if I was Walters at the HB spot, as well as Dozier in BC...he'd be the perfect replacement for Alexander at safety (if our ratio can allow it) and a backfield of one of Evans/J.Rose and Mike Jones on the corners with Alexander and Mincey at the Half's would not be too shabby in the least..Plus we may still have Taylor in the mix, and though he is over 30 now hasn't lost a step yet and played well...plus consistency is important too while we fine tune the backfield, much like we did this year

I was just looking at the FA list... Evans and Mincey were two of the names that stood out to me the most.  Nick Marshall too but the stink of Regina is too strong!

5 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

I was just looking at the FA list... Evans and Mincey were two of the names that stood out to me the most.  Nick Marshall too but the stink of Regina is too strong!

Evan's ..Mincey and Dozier would be great fits I think....even Kahheh would be a nice addition for the 2 open spots now

Marshall I think is a bit overated, also tends to be a selfish player...would need an attitude check to play in Winnipeg

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

Marshall I think is a bit overated, also tends to be a selfish player...would need an attitude check to play in Winnipeg

I would have said the same thing about Jefferson when we signed him!

Training camp with Marshall and Darvin would be fun to watch... they've had some pretty intense match-ups the last couple years.

40 minutes ago, Mark F said:

defensive backfield has been an ongoing problem, and only got good later in the season, easy to blame it on replacing Hecht but, probably a bit more to it than that.

This group smothered league's best receivers. losing part of it is not easy to fix.

It was alexander for hecht and getting Taylor in that solidified the group. Jones developing too. 

But yeah losing sayles and rose, probably the two best is gonna be a tall task.

1 hour ago, Booch said:

So, you're saying a Rose by any other name would smell as sweet?

Sorry.