Don Cherry fired from HNIC

GOLD MEMBER

1 minute ago, Floyd said:

He’s 85...  I get the outrage but man...

That’s was my initial reaction too. I’m surprised he was fired to be honest.  But it sounds like he refused to apologize which actually makes it worse.  I could understand someone, especially of his age, misspeaking but he owned it later so what can ya do.  

• Rich locked and unlocked this topic
18 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

That’s was my initial reaction too. I’m surprised he was fired to be honest.  But it sounds like he refused to apologize which actually makes it worse.  I could understand someone, especially of his age, misspeaking but he owned it later so what can ya do.  

If Cherry had been willing to make an apology, either in person or writing, Rogers might've given him a pass. The fact that he didn't and he felt he said nothing wrong shows how much times have passed him by. Although I don't agree with his opinion or stance, it doesn't surprise me that he stuck to his guns, (and opinion), however bigoted or dated they may be.

3 minutes ago, Goalie said:

So.. People didnt actually watch what he said did they? He didn't say "You people" he said "You new people to Canada" 

Oh and judging by Twitter.. The immigrants arent really offended by this but the White PC Police Sure are. 

There are plenty of "old people to Canada" who don't wear poppies.  Why are they immune to the rant.  Even worse for them because they grew up being taught the history and significance.

If the rant was about "people" not wearing poppies, I don't think the same outrage would be there.

20 minutes ago, Goalie said:

So.. People didnt actually watch what he said did they? He didn't say "You people" he said "You new people to Canada" 

Oh and judging by Twitter.. The immigrants arent really offended by this but the White PC Police Sure are. 

Actually he did not say you “new” people.  He clearly said “you people”. 

Ive seen a lot of minorities on social media express their negative feelings about this so I’d say you’re wrong on that point too.  Regardless, Rogers can hire and fire whomever they want.  

48 minutes ago, Goalie said:

You're splitting hairs here, either statement is pointing fingers and creates divisiveness.

It is mildly ironic  that you defend his prejudice statement with a prejudice statement of your own. You are assuming that the only individuals offended are a certain group of people ("the White PC Police", your words), and yet like Cherry, you have nothing to substantiate or backup those claims.

13 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

I just hope that all the people who busy supporting Cherry & sharing memes and rants - actually wore a poppy this year...

Yup.  Had a couple buddies bitching about Cherry getting canned and they got kinda quiet when I asked if they had bought any.

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

I just hope that all the people who busy supporting Cherry & sharing memes and rants - actually wore a poppy this year...

Buddy ,every year I actually buy a poppy ,and I wear it with pride. Don did NOT say a damn thing wrong. PERIOD. Its whats wrong with society. If you dont agree wit what he said . Go back where you came from......rant over.

40 minutes ago, Piggy 1 said:

Buddy ,every year I actually buy a poppy ,and I wear it with pride. Don did NOT say a damn thing wrong. PERIOD. Its whats wrong with society. If you dont agree wit what he said . Go back where you came from......rant over.

In absolutely NO CONTEXT is it okay to say "you people"..... Or "you people new to Canada" (that's even worse). This is not the worst thing he's ever said, but when he's made the ice that thin, you better not say something that stupid... 

Okay, to everyone here who criticize people who don't wear poppies. How come people who do criticize don't get upset when businesses make their employees work on Remembrance Day but can have an extra day off at Christmas in exchange? When retailers are open? Grocery stores that are open? When I was in elementary school, the only businesses allowed to stay open were grocery stores & all they were allowed to sell was bread & milk as those were considered food staples.  Gas stations were closed.

I worked in insurance industry as a claims adjuster for many years here in Calgary. I had to work on Remembrance Day. We got an extra day off at Xmas instead. Being the son of a WW2 veteran & having family members who fought overseas, I wasn't very happy & resented having to work. I didn't care about an extra day at Xmas. I thought it was disrespectful to work on Remembrance Day.  The company's head office was in Montreal & apparently (true story) they didn't care about about Remembrance Day so they made us work. 

If it was up to me, the old rules would apply for what can be bought & sold: bread & milk. No companies would be allowed to be open. You couldn't fill your vehicle with gas. Couldn't go shopping. If companies were , they'd be subject to heavy fines. Yet, no one thinks buying groceries or doing business on Remembrance Day is disrespectful. Remembrance Day was never meant to be a holiday. But it's treated like any other. Where's the outrage for that? 

The way I see it, our veterans sacrificed for the right we have to choose to or not to wear a poppy. In other word, freedom of choice. just like they sacrificed for freedom of speech. Which we don't have anymore. Political correctness has replaced freedom of speech  today.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

3 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

As soon as this story broke all I could picture in my head was this.

Someone actually videochopped this to include Ron and Don. I'll have to find it.

You want to wear a poppy? Great! You don't want to wear a poppy? Great!

Don't tell me what to do.

Found it.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

12 hours ago, Noeller said:

Regarding the JPT comparison, the difference is its not the norm for him. It was a couple of incidents... Whereas with Cherry, this is just who he is. Also, JPT apologized... Fiercely and sincerely. Grapes not only didn't apologize, he spoke out saying he refused to apologize because he believes strongly in what he said. I like Cherry and his hockey takes... He's a staple of my hockey viewing life... But his politics finally went too far. Snet did the right thing. 

Actually Grapes was given the opportunity to back track his comments and apologize.  However he decided he didn't want to do that, and stood by his comments.  The guy is old school and very much stuck in his ways. He doesn't care about political correctness, or phrasing his opinions in a political correct manor.   If he rephrased his comments, then likely he still has his job.

On a personal note, watching HNIC since the 1980's, I believe the guy is just a blathering idiot.   I've almost always changed the channel, done an errand, or something else every-time he comes on the air.  I won't lose any sleep over his dismissal.

Edited by captaincanuck12

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The way I see it, our veterans sacrificed for the right we have to choose to or not to wear a poppy. In other word, freedom of choice. just like they sacrificed for freedom of speech. Which we don't have anymore. Political correctness has replaced freedom of speech  today.

I won't even begin to try and understand the incoherent rant about business hours and how irrelevant any of that is here, but I will address this part that's completely off base.

Canada has what's called freedom of expression. It is a fundamental and protected right under section 2 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. (https://www.canada.ca/en/canadian-heritage/services/how-rights-protected/guide-canadian-charter-rights-freedoms.html#a2b)

Don Cherry is no exception and he's free to say whatever he wants - as he's done for years, often in his own crude and uncouth way. However, freedom of expression does not mean freedom from the consequences of what's expressed.

Political correctness hasn't replaced anything, especially freedom of expression. Being held accountable for saying stupid things is nothing new.

13 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Actually he did not say you “new” people.  He clearly said “you people”. 

Ive seen a lot of minorities on social media express their negative feelings about this so I’d say you’re wrong on that point too.  Regardless, Rogers can hire and fire whomever they want.  

And despite what you are pretending to do, you dont tell me what I find offensive or not. I am the grandson of immigrants, my uncle is an immigrant. Im not offended by what he said, my grandparents wouldn't be, my uncle isnt... 

Why are the ppl who get most offended of the Caucasian variety? This is insane how PC we are becoming, when does it stop? Cuz i was on a trip a few weeks back and on the plane.. They didn't say welcome aboard ladies and gentlemen like they did 2 years ago, they now say welcome aboard everyone cuz god forbid someone who doesn't identify as a man or woman is on the flight.  

You people? You are offended by the words you people? WTF.. 

14 hours ago, Brandon said:

Cherry will be remembered as Canadian hockey royalty,   this hack job journalist will get a few hits from modern day snowflakes and will never amount to anything. 

for the last 15- 20 years,I have been rememebering CHerry as the Load Mouthed batshit crazy  racist Grampa that shows up for each holiday dinner... He's entertaining brash opinionated and racist as hell- but you give him a pass because he's Canadian Hockey Royalty. 

Snowflakes? Jesus... Yeah, **** them for not being intolerant of racists.

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy