Don Cherry fired from HNIC

GOLD MEMBER

16 hours ago, Floyd said:

I thought Dave Hodges pen flip was what made Maclean ha... Hodge was the original HNIC/coach’s corner guy

Hodge was a stronger personality than MacLean. The pen flip proved that. He'd have never let Cherry get away with the things he has said over the years like MacLean did. The CC segments would have been different, I think. MacLean should just stick to hosting. That's his strong point. He works well with Hrudy, Elliott & whoever else is on the panel. Just let him do that. 

6 minutes ago, JCon said:

Because there are a whole lot of racist people in this country. You really don't have to look far. 

I think in Cherry's case it wasn't so much racism as it was his ego. Over the years CC became all about Cherry & his larger than life personality. The suits he wore & the buzz he got knowing people were tuning in to watch what he was going to say. That fed into his already huge ego. He felt he could say whatever he wanted & that it was relevant when it really wasn't.

Cherry is a narcissist. Everything is about him. He turned a symbol of respect & remembrance that was at least 65 years old for veterans & the wars they fought into a political circus. Like, if you aren't with me then you're against me mentality & that's wrong. Not from the viewpoint of being a racist but from the point of being a narcissist thinking he had this huge influence over people when he didn't. Had the CBC & later Sportsnet put their foot down with Cherry years ago when he talked out of turn then this event likely wouldn't have happened. He needed a host that would have reacted negatively off camera to when he said something outrageous like, "Don quit being an ******* & shut up". Or at the very least give the guy grief after a segment aired for what he said. That never happened. Cherry needed a tight leash & was never given one. 

26 minutes ago, JCon said:

Because there are a whole lot of racist people in this country. You really don't have to look far. 

I'm assuming you're either referencing yourself or Trudeau? 

To suggest Canada is a racist country is ridiculous and insulting.   I'd say it's one if not the least racist country across the world.

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I think in Cherry's case it wasn't so much racism as it was his ego. Over the years CC became all about Cherry & his larger than life personality. The suits he wore & the buzz he got knowing people were tuning in to watch what he was going to say. That fed into his already huge ego. He felt he could say whatever he wanted & that it was relevant when it really wasn't.

Cherry is a narcissist. Everything is about him. He turned a symbol of respect & remembrance that was at least 65 years old for veterans & the wars they fought into a political circus. Like, if you aren't with me then you're against me mentality & that's wrong. Not from the viewpoint of being a racist but from the point of being a narcissist thinking he had this huge influence over people when he didn't. Had the CBC & later Sportsnet put their foot down with Cherry years ago when he talked out of turn then this event likely wouldn't have happened. He needed a host that would have reacted negatively off camera to when he said something outrageous like, "Don quit being an ******* & shut up". Or at the very least give the guy grief after a segment aired for what he said. That never happened. Cherry needed a tight leash & was never given one. 

Okay, but he's a racist. I suppose if CBC just fired him thirty years ago for his racist rants, we would heave been fine but he's still a racist. He was enabled by the CBC and Rogers. 

Why couldn't anyone just keep him on his stupid hockey rants, I will never know. A failure of leadership on so many occasions. 

But here we are. 

2 hours ago, JCon said:

Okay, but he's a racist. I suppose if CBC just fired him thirty years ago for his racist rants, we would heave been fine but he's still a racist. He was enabled by the CBC and Rogers. 

Why couldn't anyone just keep him on his stupid hockey rants, I will never know. A failure of leadership on so many occasions. 

But here we are. 

Agree. ratings, I guess. When he'd go ff on Euro hockey players or Russians back in the 80's people loved it. The same with the soldiers. All that praise fed his ego. 

3 hours ago, JCon said:

Yup.  Canada is obviously no where near the worst places in the world. But we’re also not nearly good enough.   It’s always great when white males tell you there is no racism though.   Walk in the shoes of a minority for one hour and they’ll see....

The alt right has made it far too acceptable to be racist now.  And then in turn when someone like Trudeau does blackface, liberals feel like it’s okay cause they’re getting away with one too. 

anyway back on the subject of Cherry and whether he meant what he said or always felt this way:

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Yup.  Canada is obviously no where near the worst places in the world. But we’re also not nearly good enough.   It’s always great when white males tell you there is no racism though.   Walk in the shoes of a minority for one hour and they’ll see....

The alt right has made it far too acceptable to be racist now.  And then in turn when someone like Trudeau does blackface, liberals feel like it’s okay cause they’re getting away with one too. 

anyway back on the subject of Cherry and whether he meant what he said or always felt this way:

A big act. All for show. All for ratings. Promoting the Don Cherry Brand. That's all this was. Talk tough. Act tough. Say what they want to hear. People will love you. I saw through this 30 years ago. His arrogance just got worse the longer he stayed on CC & the older he got. Notice he wasn't wearing drapes for suits yet. 

10 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I agree that Cherry went too far, as did Jess Allen on the Social, but to call Don Cherry a racist is ridiculous.  Shame on you.

You are showing your ignorance when you equate what Cherry said and what Allen said, when you completely neglect the context.

9 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

What is with this constant obsession with virtue signaling over nonsense like this. There are also years of evidence of Don supporting women's hockey and not being racist or a bigot at all. Why the incessant need to be labeling people in this black and white way?

Virtue signaling? lazy argument and also not really applicable here, please brush up on your definitions if you are going to sling 'em around to stifle debate. 

It often feels like such a waste of time, because I am 99% sure you are not even going to click on the links provided- but there is still that 1% possibility that you will. I even quoted a few lines from each link, so even if you didn't want to click on the link, there are still some nuggets for you to read.

https://www.adamsmith.org/blog/stop-saying-virtue-signalling

"At best, virtue signalling is a pretentious way of saying 'showing off'. At worst, it is mental armour against self-doubt. People should stop saying it."

https://www.ft.com/content/cf4d3d5c-7129-11e9-bf5c-6eeb837566c5

"the term is used increasingly to silence those who support causes the critic dislikes.... It is instead the insult of choice for people who don’t want to have to engage with the issue itself. In truth, what the critic dislikes is rarely the signalling; it is the virtue."

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jan/20/virtue-signalling-putdown-passed-sell-by-date

"What started off as a clever way to win arguments has become a lazy put down. It’s too often used to cast aspersions on opponents as an alternative to rebutting their arguments. In fact, it’s becoming indistinguishable from the thing it was designed to call out: smug posturing from a position of self-appointed authority."

Where is your moral outrage of the bigoted nonsense that Jess Allen said?

What group was she bigoted about? Serious question. 

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

11 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Don Cherry is a proud-boy Canadian.  How many hours must i wait before someone takes his voice and puts it over a Trump video.

11 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

In that video, context should be provided to what happened to the Atlantic cod industry in the 1980-1990s.

4 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

You are showing your ignorance when you equate what Cherry said and what Allen said, when you completely neglect the context.

Virtue signaling? lazy argument and also not really applicable here, please brush up on your definitions if you are going to sling 'em around to stifle debate. 

It often feels like such a waste of time, because I am 99% sure you are not even going to click on the links provided- but there is still that 1% possibility that you will. I even quoted a few lines from each link, so even if you didn't want to click on the link, there are still some nuggets for you to read.

https://www.adamsmith.org/blog/stop-saying-virtue-signalling

"At best, virtue signalling is a pretentious way of saying 'showing off'. At worst, it is mental armour against self-doubt. People should stop saying it."

https://www.ft.com/content/cf4d3d5c-7129-11e9-bf5c-6eeb837566c5

"the term is used increasingly to silence those who support causes the critic dislikes.... It is instead the insult of choice for people who don’t want to have to engage with the issue itself. In truth, what the critic dislikes is rarely the signalling; it is the virtue."

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jan/20/virtue-signalling-putdown-passed-sell-by-date

"What started off as a clever way to win arguments has become a lazy put down. It’s too often used to cast aspersions on opponents as an alternative to rebutting their arguments. In fact, it’s becoming indistinguishable from the thing it was designed to call out: smug posturing from a position of self-appointed authority."

What group was she bigoted about? Serious question. 

Rich white boys? Do you need a map?But wait maybe i am wrong there is only white people that play in the NHL right?🙄

Edited by bb1

Lol at Unknown saying white males can't ever say their is no racism. That's a load of baloney.

I've seen that excuse used only online and usually by liberal minded folks who are way out of touch of the real world and who reads and believes everything they see on line.

For a bad country I sure have seen and read many testimonials of the Bombers and other CFL players who have said they loved their time in Canada and that  everyone is so loving and accepting.

The only group I've ever seen claim racism is the Indigenous and in Quebec it's a bit messed up where they have everyone including white folks.

To paint the brush that Canada is racist and because a white person disagrees it somehow negates their opinion is ridiculous.

Jeeze next time I go to Folklorama I'll be sure to try to see all that racism and white folks shitting on other cultures like JCon claims to happen.

On 2019-11-11 at 3:12 PM, The Unknown Poster said:

Blackface wasn’t fine 20 years ago.  

Fact is 20 years ago, very few Canadians knew the origins of blackface. Heck, I doubt if most did until a few months ago. That's the first time I ever heard about how it began as a mockery in Hollywood.  Only Canadians who studied drama or black history in the USA knew.  As far as Cherry, I liked watching him, but his comments were definitely racist though he probably didnt even realize they were.  For those who still don't know the origins of blackface:  https://qz.com/1544324/cork-shoe-polish-and-the-history-of-blackface/     Did Trudeau as a younger man know? I have no idea.

Edited by In Motion
Adding information

6 minutes ago, In Motion said:

Fact is 20 years ago, very few Canadians knew the origins of blackface. Heck, I doubt if most did until a few months ago. That's the first time I ever heard about how it began as a mockery in Hollywood.  Only Canadians who studied drama or black history in the USA knew.  As far as Cherry, I liked watching him, but his comments were definitely racist though he probably didnt even realize they were.  

He had something like a Grade 9 education. I don't think he finished high school so I don't think he understood why people got upset. That being said, partisanship is a fact of life on social media. Cherry was a known Conservative supporter so there were a lot of people who wanted to take him out & destroy his career. I really think rather than racism, it was really him acting like a tough guy & reinforcing his brand. 

33 minutes ago, In Motion said:

Fact is 20 years ago, very few Canadians knew the origins of blackface. Heck, I doubt if most did until a few months ago. That's the first time I ever heard about how it began as a mockery in Hollywood.  Only Canadians who studied drama or black history in the USA knew.  As far as Cherry, I liked watching him, but his comments were definitely racist though he probably didnt even realize they were.  For those who still don't know the origins of blackface:  https://qz.com/1544324/cork-shoe-polish-and-the-history-of-blackface/     Did Trudeau as a younger man know? I have no idea.

Oh come on 20 years ago people knew what black face was.    People were not that naive.   Jeeze Chappelle show used to make fun and had himself in white face to make fun of it.   That's nearly 20 years ago.