Don Cherry fired from HNIC

GOLD MEMBER

The same people that called for his hide are the same ones who didn't seem to care about Trudeau's blackface. As long as their boy got in, that's all that matters. Liberal hypocrites. As far as Cherry goes, immigrants have served this country & do wear poppies so he's wrong. But he's 83, he should have been retired a decade ago. 

6 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Black Face? Dude dressed up as Aladdin 20 years ago. 

Don Cherry was 2 days ago. 

How can you possibly compare 20 years ago to 2 days ago. Guess what, 20 years ago... Both "blackface" and cherry were fine. 

It was not all right 20 years ago to dress up in blackface. Seriously do some reading about the history of blackface and then comment.

2 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Don Cherry was 2 days ago. 

How can you possibly compare 20 years ago to 2 days ago. Guess what, 20 years ago... Both "blackface" and cherry were fine. 

Because you can & it's done all the time. People are being called out on social media for what they did & said years ago all the time. Especially politicians. Look, I don't take Cherry seriously & no one else should. Coaches Corner morphed into Cherry's huge ego where he felt he could act & say whatever he wanted. It didn't help that Ron MacLean was spineless & Cherry never really respected him as a partner.

Look at his suits. If that isn't a narcissist, I don't know what is. His ego finally caught up with him. He decided he didn't want to stick to hockey. That he had some kind of a pulpit from which he could speak on any subject. Well, he couldn't. I'm sure he was told to watch what he said but he didn't listen. But he's 83 & it should have been over years ago.

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

Finally, that racist old man is off the air. I'm sure he'll reemerge on the Rebel where he'll be welcomed with open arms. 

I actually think this could kill him. He has been the centre of attention for 30 years & suddenly it's been taken away. At 83, that could be a huge shock that he may never get over. 

41 minutes ago, Goalie said:

"You new people to Canada". 

I really dont see much of a problem with what he said as I've known for years hes a bat **** crazy racist old man... Honestly, of all the stuff hes said over the years this is what gets him fired? Seems pretty weak actually. 

You don’t see a problem with what he said or you think he’s a racist old man?  

Had he made his point about Canadians in general bot wearing the poppy it would have been a strong point.  He chose to single out immigrants.  

As for the firing it wasn’t just this. This was just the final straw.  I sort of feel bad for him because as you said he’s an old nut job. But he said it. And it was the right call to can him. 

I’d respect him if he had the balls to apologize.  But...

”Don Cherry says he has been fired from Hockey Night in Canada by Sportsnet.

And the legendary star of Coach’s Corner says he will not walk back what he said on Saturday.

“I have just learned I’ve been fired by Sportsnet for comments made on Coach’s Corner Nov. 9,” Cherry told me in a phone interview. “No problem.”

Cherry added: “I know what I said and I meant it. Everybody in Canada should wear a poppy to honour our fallen soldiers.”

and here is a good example of what is wrong with the conservatives today 

Cherry is going to become a martyr for the subtle (or not so subtle) racism of the “right”.  Gross. 

Edited by The Unknown Poster

Love Don Cherry, but I'm not surprised. This isn't the worst thing he's ever said, but it's bad. You can't say "you people" in pretty much any context. That's a non starter. The number of complaints broke the CBSC hotline. Very curious what he does now... Retire or pop up someplace else... 

3 hours ago, Goalie said:

Personally, with Trudeau although the act itself was despicable, it was the fact that when asked how many times he wore blackface he couldn't recall. To me, that shows no respect for the racial issues at hand, he couldn't even use the "there was that one time in college" argument at that point. It's not the outlier, it's the norm for him.

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I actually think this could kill him. He has been the centre of attention for 30 years & suddenly it's been taken away. At 83, that could be a huge shock that he may never get over. 

He's actually 85.  I don't know why he's still on the air at that age.  Kudos to him though for staying on the air this long, but he finally went too far.  There was no going back.

4 hours ago, JCon said:

Finally, that racist old man is off the air. I'm sure he'll reemerge on the Rebel where he'll be welcomed with open arms. 

At least twenty five years too late. Can not and never could stand the guy. Only in Canada would such a sports blowhard be held in high esteem.

I can't give you any quotes, but I thought he was one of the guys, along with Howie "complete the check" Meeker, who promoted things that allowed crappy players to have an NHL career, and that slowed that game down, and made it boring.

remember when Cherry used to spew about how European players shouldn't be in the NHL?

Great call Don.

good riddance, and he can take his boring, useless sidekick with him.

Edited by Mark F

2 minutes ago, Mark F said:

At least twenty five years too late. Can not and never could stand the guy. Only in Canada would such a sports blowhard be held in high esteem.

I can't give you any quotes, but I thought he was one of the guys, along with Howie "complete the check" Meeker, who promoted things that allowed crappy players to have an NHL career, and that slowed that game down, and made it boring.

remember when Cherry used to spew about how European players shouldn't be in the NHL?

Great call Don.

good riddance, and he can take his boring, useless sidekick with him.

3 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:
and here is a good example of what is wrong with the conservatives today 

Seriously, what is wrong with her brain?

Grapes has gone off on senseless rants often. This most recent one appeared to be the last straw for many, including his employer. 

"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes." It's that simple.

Edited by blue_gold_84

1 minute ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Seriously, what is wrong with her brain?

Grapes has gone off on senseless rants often. This most recent one appeared to be the last straw for many, including his employer. 

"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes." It's that simple.

Got a nasty message from a buddy about this. He thinks everyone is being too PC and there is nothing wrong with what cherry said.  I just don’t get it.  And all this stuff about Trudeau...they have nothing to do with each other. I think JT was wrong and I think Cherry is wrong.  The right wing movement is getting really gross.  It’s almost embarrassing to admit to being a conservative.  Sadly. 

I grew up on Cherry.  When it was a game I didn’t care about I’d still record HNIC just for coaches corner.  I’d like to be able give him a pass cause he’s 85 and how sharp can his mind be?  But it’s par for the course for him.   The above article I posted is excellent.   Cherry romanticizes hockey and Canada of his youth and hates change.   I’ve shed tears right along with him on some episodes and he truly cares about the military and kids etc.  It’s sad really.  But it’s the right call by Rogers.  

4 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Absolute terrible article,   that person should be ashamed of writing that piece of garbage.

Don Cherry is old and out of touch, but to **** on him when he's down is cowardly.    For a man who apparently was so terrible and hated back in the day.... it's odd that many years back their was a massive backlash of when CBC was going to let him go and move on.  

Jeeze these people sure like to re-write history and criticize people during different eras.  

Cherry will be remembered as Canadian hockey royalty,   this hack job journalist will get a few hits from modern day snowflakes and will never amount to anything. 

Just now, Brandon said:

Absolute terrible article,   that person should be ashamed of writing that piece of garbage.

Don Cherry is old and out of touch, but to **** on him when he's down is cowardly.    For a man who apparently was so terrible and hated back in the day.... it's odd that many years back their was a massive backlash of when CBC was going to let him go and move on.  

Jeeze these people sure like to re-write history and criticize people during different eras.  

Cherry will be remembered as Canadian hockey royalty,   this hack job journalist will get a few hits from modern day snowflakes and will never amount to anything. 

He won’t be remembered that way in my opinion (and I say that as a long time fan). 

And while there was a backlash to keep Don years ago, there was always a mixed feeling towards him for a long time.  It would revisionist history to suggest he was always universally loved. 

Regarding the JPT comparison, the difference is its not the norm for him. It was a couple of incidents... Whereas with Cherry, this is just who he is. Also, JPT apologized... Fiercely and sincerely. Grapes not only didn't apologize, he spoke out saying he refused to apologize because he believes strongly in what he said. I like Cherry and his hockey takes... He's a staple of my hockey viewing life... But his politics finally went too far. Snet did the right thing.