Don Cherry fired from HNIC

GOLD MEMBER

5 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

for the last 15- 20 years,I have been rememebering CHerry as the Load Mouthed batshit crazy  racist Grampa that shows up for each holiday dinner... He's entertaining brash opinionated and racist as hell- but you give him a pass because he's Canadian Hockey Royalty. 

Snowflakes? Jesus... Yeah, **** them for not being intolerant of racists.

What did he do that’s racist? 

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I won't even begin to try and understand the incoherent rant about business hours and how irrelevant any of that is here, but I will address this part that's completely off base.

Canada has what's called freedom of expression. It is a fundamental and protected right under section 2 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. (https://www.canada.ca/en/canadian-heritage/services/how-rights-protected/guide-canadian-charter-rights-freedoms.html#a2b)

Don Cherry is no exception and he's free to say whatever he wants - as he's done for years, often in his own crude and uncouth way. However, freedom of expression does not mean freedom from the consequences of what's expressed.

Political correctness hasn't replaced anything, especially freedom of expression. Being held accountable for saying stupid things is nothing new.

Of course, you won't address the "rant" about business hours on Remembrance Day.  That's because you want to be able to shop & do the things you want to do when you want to do them. Soldiers who fought & died for your right to do that never had such freedoms. Your somewhat heated response tells me that you  just don't get it. The reason everything was shut down was to symbolize sacrifice. If you needed gas & didn't fill up the night before, you couldn't have it. Bars, pubs & restaurants were closed. If you wanted to eat out on Remembrance Day then forget it as you didn't. If you needed groceries & didn't go shopping the day before then you didn't shop & went hungry. If you wanted to see a movie then you couldn't. Good & services were not available so the general public could get an understanding of what sacrifice was about. Over the years, as people aged & the WW1 & 2 veterans passed away, commercial & business interests took over Remembrance Day. Why shouldn't retailers be open, they asked? Why shouldn't stores be allowed to sell everything? Why shouldn't people be allowed to watch a movie or go to a restaurant? And governments bowed to pressure & relaxed the Remembrance Day laws. Sacrifice means nothing today. Yet, we're hung up on wearing poppies. Maybe because that's the only thing left. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

36 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Of course, you won't address the "rant" about business hours on Remembrance Day.  That's because you want to be able to shop & do the things you want to do when you want to do them. Soldiers who fought & died for your right to do that never had such freedoms. Your somewhat heated response tells me that you  just don't get it. The reason everything was shut down was to symbolize sacrifice. If you needed gas & didn't fill up the night before, you couldn't have it. Bars, pubs & restaurants were closed. If you wanted to eat out on Remembrance Day then forget it as you didn't. If you needed groceries & didn't go shopping the day before then you didn't shop & went hungry. If you wanted to see a movie then you couldn't. Good & services were not available so the general public could get an understanding of what sacrifice was about. Over the years, as people aged & the WW1 & 2 veterans passed away, commercial & business interests took over Remembrance Day. Why shouldn't retailers be open, they asked? Why shouldn't stores be allowed to sell everything? Why shouldn't people be allowed to watch a movie or go to a restaurant? And governments bowed to pressure & relaxed the Remembrance Day laws. Sacrifice means nothing today. Yet, we're hung up on wearing poppies. Maybe because that's the only thing left. 

You're right about businesses and Remembrance Day but it's not really relevant to the discussion of Cherry. Two separate topics. 

I think Remembrance Day should be a school day focused entirely on the remembering those that fought for our freedoms, sacrificed their lives, and how we protect those freedoms going forward. There is lots we can teach the next generation and lots more we can learn from those that fought and those that serve today. 

But this topic is about the racist crap Cherry said and not about Remembrance Day (because Cherry's rant was really about Remembrance Day or Poppies either). 

53 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I stayed in all day yesterday and watched coverage of Remembrance Day ceremonies held across the country - same as I've done every November 11th as far back as I can remember. I then spent the evening finishing up the vinyl flooring in my basement with the help of my Dad. It does say a lot about a person who jumps to baseless conclusions about a complete stranger's views, though. I chose not to address your rant about business hours because it's an entirely separate issue from Cherry's firing and has literally nothing to do with it. There's nothing to gain by having that discussion in this thread.

I then proceeded to tell you what's inaccurate with your statements about freedom of expression and political correctness and you choose to acknowledge none of it, instead getting defensive - as usual - and then ranting some more.

And last I checked, the person hung up on wearing poppies lost his job yesterday for how he chose to broach the subject on national TV.

It's clear as day who doesn't get it in this thread.

1 hour ago, Jpan85 said:

A lot of those "you people" fought along side Canadians in both Wars, even though they were marginalized they too gave their blood and lives.

Jagmeet SIngh's post about this was fabulous yesterday. I really wish that guy wasn't such a hippie...he'd make a good Centrist leader.

7 hours ago, Goalie said:

And despite what you are pretending to do, you dont tell me what I find offensive or not. I am the grandson of immigrants, my uncle is an immigrant. Im not offended by what he said, my grandparents wouldn't be, my uncle isnt... 

Why are the ppl who get most offended of the Caucasian variety? This is insane how PC we are becoming, when does it stop? Cuz i was on a trip a few weeks back and on the plane.. They didn't say welcome aboard ladies and gentlemen like they did 2 years ago, they now say welcome aboard everyone cuz god forbid someone who doesn't identify as a man or woman is on the flight.  

You people? You are offended by the words you people? WTF.. 

What am I pretending to do?   I don’t understand your point. No one is telling you to be offended or not.  I merely pointed out you were factually wrong. 

Don’t forget, also, that in the wake of the backlash Cherry had the opportunity to clarify what he meant.  He confirmed that he meant exactly what people thought he meant.   So it’s not even a misunderstanding.  He was being critical of immigrants.  He might not be racist but he’s sure ignorant.   

6 hours ago, JCon said:

You're right about businesses and Remembrance Day but it's not really relevant to the discussion of Cherry. Two separate topics. 

I think Remembrance Day should be a school day focused entirely on the remembering those that fought for our freedoms, sacrificed their lives, and how we protect those freedoms going forward. There is lots we can teach the next generation and lots more we can learn from those that fought and those that serve today. 

But this topic is about the racist crap Cherry said and not about Remembrance Day (because Cherry's rant was really about Remembrance Day or Poppies either). 

For sure. I was just pointing out how things have changed since I was a kid. The people who get upset when someone doesn't wear a poppy is seemingly okay to go shopping on Remembrance Day as stores are open. I find that contradictory. I don't think I even mentioned Cherry so I wasn't defending him. I honestly didn't hear what he said so it's difficult for me to criticize or defend the guy.  However,  I do feel strongly about freedom of speech vs political correctness today. Reminds me of the old adage, "I may not agree with what you say but I'll fight for your right to say it". We've certainly got away from that. 

5 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I stayed in all day yesterday and watched coverage of Remembrance Day ceremonies held across the country - same as I've done every November 11th as far back as I can remember. I then spent the evening finishing up the vinyl flooring in my basement with the help of my Dad. It does say a lot about a person who jumps to baseless conclusions about a complete stranger's views, though. I chose not to address your rant about business hours because it's an entirely separate issue from Cherry's firing and has literally nothing to do with it. There's nothing to gain by having that discussion in this thread.

I then proceeded to tell you what's inaccurate with your statements about freedom of expression and political correctness and you choose to acknowledge none of it, instead getting defensive - as usual - and then ranting some more.

And last I checked, the person hung up on wearing poppies lost his job yesterday for how he chose to broach the subject on national TV.

It's clear as day who doesn't get it in this thread.

The entire discussion was about Cherry telling people to wear a poppy. Apparently he got the message across in a negative way. So then, this discussion is about poppies & how people celebrate Remembrance Day. So don't say it had nothing to do with that or Cherry never would have said it. I just pointed out that society seemed to care less & less about remembering our veterans compared to when I was a kid as we were one generation away from our parents & family members serving in WW2. We were taught in school to remember the sacrifices our family members made overseas & the Remembrance Day Act in Manitoba reminded us of it.  I'll tell you, up until Canadians served & were killed in Afghanistan, most Canadians were apathetic about Remembrance Day.  Most did not care because the wars this country served in were long ago & a majority of veterans had passed away. It took Canadians dying in the Middle East fighting terrorism to wake up Canadians with a jolt to appreciate what our military people do. Yet, no one wants to go back to the way it used to be with retailers & businesses closed. I would welcome those days again. Since I never talked about Cherry I have no idea why your feathers are getting so ruffled. Maybe you should chill & just take in this conversation with a deep breath. I neither support or criticize Don Cherry so why do you seem bent on having a verbal fight? He said what he said & now he has to live with it. 

9 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

That was wrong. 

We ran a quote from him in our news today where he said "if I could do it again, I'd use different words" and that's exactly it. He used the wrong words entirely and it finally bit him. If he'd walk it back and apologize, I think they'd have moved on and let it be. Apologizing sincerely is the only thing that saved Trudeau and it could have saved Cherry....but...he's made his bed and we all have to move on.

10 minutes ago, Noeller said:

We ran a quote from him in our news today where he said "if I could do it again, I'd use different words" and that's exactly it. He used the wrong words entirely and it finally bit him. If he'd walk it back and apologize, I think they'd have moved on and let it be. Apologizing sincerely is the only thing that saved Trudeau and it could have saved Cherry....but...he's made his bed and we all have to move on.

Was he given a chance to apologize ir was he just run out on a rail by Sportsnet. If he had the chance & refused then that's just Cherry being a stubborn old goat. If they didn't give him that chance then Sportsnet is wrong. 

14 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Was he given a chance to apologize ir was he just run out on a rail by Sportsnet. If he had the chance & refused then that's just Cherry being a stubborn old goat. If they didn't give him that chance then Sportsnet is wrong. 

https://globalnews.ca/news/6157232/don-cherry-poppy-controversy/

20 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

truth...but not surprising if you have followed his career...he is a stubborn guy even when younger.