Don Cherry fired from HNIC

GOLD MEMBER

34 minutes ago, JCon said:

Just one? Or years and years of racist, bigoted comments? 

Regardless, the double standard is pretty ridiculous. She made ignorant comments based on her own experience (anecdotal evidence) no differently than Cherry did. Neither is reasonable but there seems to be way less outrage over what she said. How is that right or fair?

Now, Bobby Orr's come out of the woodwork to go die on the same hill as Cherry did (https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/don-cherry-dismissal-reaction-bobby-orr-nov-14-1.5360086) and some yahoo who vandalized a cenotaph claims he did it in Cherry's defense (https://toronto.citynews.ca/2019/11/15/suspect-arrested-toronto-cenotaph-vandalism/).

This is all kinds of absurd.

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

MacLean is spineless. He was right there nodding his head in agreement & giving Cherry the thumbs up. Then 24 hrs later he was throwing his friend under the bus. Cherry's comments were dumb but I have no respect for Ron anymore.  At least Orr said how he felt. 

Yeah, I have to agree with you there.  If I hadn't seen the clip of the 'thumbs up' his apology would have sounded sincere.  He basically made it sound like he didn't agree with Don Cherry but chose to ignore his comments.  Unless he wants us to believe he doesn't know what 'thumbs up' means. 

I’d take Ron at his word that he didn’t catch what Don said or didn’t realize what he meant in the moment.  He could have been thinking about his next line or listening to something in his ear.  I’ll take at face value his thumbs up was in regards to the general idea of people showing respect.  No reason not to believe ron when he said that.  And he apologized.  

Im sure he felt truly awful about the whole thing.   The idea he shouldn’t have apologized would only have made him a party to pushing Don’s negative opinion. 

Don was wrong.  Ron did the right thing.  Apologizing isn’t spineless.  

12 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I’d take Ron at his word that he didn’t catch what Don said or didn’t realize what he meant in the moment.  He could have been thinking about his next line or listening to something in his ear.

this is 100% what happened. His IEM is constantly going with producers talking...he's not listening to a word Grapes says because he's always gotta be thinking about what's coming up next...

3 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Sure, apologizing is always the right thing to do.  He said something like "I was there but I didn't say anything."  I just think there's a big difference between not saying anything and giving Don a thumbs up. 

5 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I’d take Ron at his word that he didn’t catch what Don said or didn’t realize what he meant in the moment.  He could have been thinking about his next line or listening to something in his ear.  I’ll take at face value his thumbs up was in regards to the general idea of people showing respect.  No reason not to believe ron when he said that.  And he apologized.  

Im sure he felt truly awful about the whole thing.   The idea he shouldn’t have apologized would only have made him a party to pushing Don’s negative opinion. 

Throwing your friend of 30 years under the bus is. Cherry made Maclean. Not the other way around. I never would have done that to any of my friends but then, I'm not Ron MacLean. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

6 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Throwing your friend of 30 years under the bus is. Cherry made Maclean. Not the other way around. I never would have done that to any of my friends but then, I'm not Ron MacLean. 

I thought Dave Hodges pen flip was what made Maclean ha... Hodge was the original HNIC/coach’s corner guy

well Maclean says they're not even going to bother to replace Cherry

I'm old enough to remember when CBC did that Greatest Canadian thing over 15 years ago (I think people had to pay to vote or something)  for some reason Cherry made the top ten

Edited by iHeart

1 hour ago, iHeart said:

I'm old enough to remember when CBC did that Greatest Canadian thing over 15 years ago (I think people had to pay to vote or something)  for some reason Cherry made the top ten

Because there are a whole lot of racist people in this country. You really don't have to look far.