2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

15 minutes ago, 66 Chevelle said:

I can relate, maybe not to the extent that you have experienced but I have several small places, more like wide spots in the road, that are so small they don't have population signs when you enter... the kind of place that Northern Skunk is talking about, no business at all, no mail boxes, you have to go pick up your mail from a post office, place with like 25 people living there, lol...  where I'm located it is a lot of rural/farming community... we are the county seat as we are the largest town in the county...

but on the flip side, I'm only about 90 minutes from either KC or STL... 45 mins from Columbia as well... so you get the rural atmosphere while still being close enough to the 'big cities' to address your needs if you want...

I love KC. Used to road trip their every spring for early golf.

26 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

4000 people, teaming metropolis compared to where I grew up. Keep in mind that Manitoba has most of it's population centralized in Winnipeg and you got a ton of tiny communities scattered throughout the province.

Yeah, I lived in two different towns when I was a kid; one had approx. 800 people and the other had approx. 300.

5 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

Yeah, I lived in two different towns when I was a kid; one had approx. 800 people and the other had approx. 300.

Gotta love the small towns. Everyone knows everyone and you have no choice but to get along so relationships matter.

7 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

Dude, 4000 ppl is just about as big as Regina. Ok....I exaggerate...but in Canada 4000 people is a big town. My summer cottage is near a town/city of 13000 but the closest real city is 500 miles away with no towns for a 400 mile stretch.

now that would be something, lol...  I just couldn't imagine something like that, but it makes sense though when you consider land mass we are about the same but you all only have 10% of the population as we do...  you'd hate to break down somewhere along side the road 200 miles from anywhere, lol...

1 hour ago, 66 Chevelle said:

I live in a town of 4000 (my cousin is the mayor) and the closet city/town that is bigger is over 20 miles away...  while we don't have a Dollarama, we do have a Dollar General! so, if you all want to talk about living in a place with limited opportunities I'd say that I probably have you all beat, lol...

I hear ya...spent a lot of time at and around Table Rock Lake and more specific Cape Fair...so I know exactly what you are talking about hahaah

1 minute ago, gcn11 said:

Gotta love the small towns. Everyone knows everyone and you have no choice but to get along so relationships matter.

I wouldn't trade growing up in a small town for anything. Small town life as a kid in the 80s-early 90s was the best.

I'm still friends with most of the people I grew up with.

2 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

I wouldn't trade growing up in a small town for anything. Small town life as a kid in the 80s-early 90s was the best.

I'm still friends with most of the people I grew up with.

I agree 100% as I live here by choice as well... my daughter has moved off to the 'big city' but the rest of my family is all within 3 sq miles of each other... every Sunday we all still go back to my mom's for lunch... there is 4 generations of us sitting around the table (and a couple of card tables, lol) now a days, lol... the majority of the people/friends I went to school with and grew up with are all still pretty much here as well..

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

I hear ya...spent a lot of time at and around Table Rock Lake and more specific Cape Fair...so I know exactly what you are talking about hahaah

no way! I'm about 2 hours from Table Rock (beautiful place) but probably 4 hrs from the Cape... I had no clue that you had history in Missouri, lol...

3 minutes ago, 66 Chevelle said:

I agree 100% as I live here by choice as well... my daughter has moved off to the 'big city' but the rest of my family is all within 3 sq miles of each other... every Sunday we all still go back to my mom's for lunch... there is 4 generations of us sitting around the table (and a couple of card tables, lol) now a days, lol... the majority of the people/friends I went to school with and grew up with are all still pretty much here as well..

no way! I'm about 2 hours from Table Rock (beautiful place) but probably 4 hrs from the Cape... I had no clue that you had history in Missouri, lol...

Small world eh?...yup...been there often..family ties..Many a day spent in Branson..Silver Dollar city and House boating on Table Rock...was almost going to transfer to Mizzou at one point as well...so you coulda been my fan hahahahahaa...but alas Cali came calling

Just now, Booch said:

Small world eh?...yup...been there often..family ties..Many a day spent in Branson..Silver Dollar city and House boating on Table Rock...was almost going to transfer to Mizzou at one point as well...so you coulda been my fan hahahahahaa...but alas Cali came calling

now that would have been something! lol... it is a small world... I avoid Branson like the plague... that place has grown so big... and it was a small place to begin with so it doesn't really have the infrastructure, traffic wise, to support the community very well... it's such a cluster *** dealing with trying to get around that place...  the Lake of the Ozarks has finally addressed those types of issues but the lake boat traffic is terrible and all the rich people, really rich, have built houses on the lake and the rest is condos... hardly a cabin left down there... one of my friends built a $7M home on that lake... I'm only about 30 mins north of there... never go though, lol... 

2 minutes ago, 66 Chevelle said:

now that would have been something! lol... it is a small world... I avoid Branson like the plague... that place has grown so big... and it was a small place to begin with so it doesn't really have the infrastructure, traffic wise, to support the community very well... it's such a cluster *** dealing with trying to get around that place...  the Lake of the Ozarks has finally addressed those types of issues but the lake boat traffic is terrible and all the rich people, really rich, have built houses on the lake and the rest is condos... hardly a cabin left down there... one of my friends built a $7M home on that lake... I'm only about 30 mins north of there... never go though, lol... 

yEAH...Branson grew too fast..and is a right logistic nightmare travelling around..only went twice....no need to again

1 hour ago, gcn11 said:

Dude, 4000 ppl is just about as big as Regina. Ok....I exaggerate...but in Canada 4000 people is a big town. My summer cottage is near a town/city of 13000 but the closest real city is 500 miles away with no towns for a 400 mile stretch.

Don't forget to mention that Macleans magazine just named that town near your summer cottage,  # 1 for crime per capita in Canada.   And yes it's the town I left after 55 years.

4 hours ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Lol.....I have been told years ago there was a corner store but it is long gone... one big shop where they keep the graders and such for doing the dirt roads so a few kids can catch a school bus.... An that's it...... 6 or 8 miles north of me is the metropolis of Grand Marais,  where i get my mail lol.

Man, this reminds me of a story 'bout my old man. When I was a kid, we were out camping in Whiteshell Provincial Park, and he had to drive to pickup the boat from servicing, as he was getting all his stuff together, we asked him where he was heading...

"The thriving metropolis of Rennie"

He really made it sound like a great place, "What's there?" we asked, "Oh, lots of stuff..." So of course, he let us tag along. For the record, the "thriving metropolis" included the following amenities:

- A coke machine that still sold coke for a quarter, year was about 1998.

That was it.