2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

right, but what do the players get as a concession? You're asking them to give up a lot there.....what do they get in return? 

Has to be guarantees in the contracts. I don't know if we should get rid of one-year deals but we should provide some incentive for players (and teams) to sign multi-year deals. 

7 minutes ago, Noeller said:

right, but what do the players get as a concession? You're asking them to give up a lot there.....what do they get in return? 

More guarantees. They can't be cut a day before a bonus is due, for example. Teams MUST live up to paying bonuses. The Commissioner shouldn't be able to tell treams not to pay bonuses when it is written into a contract as payment. That kind of a decision requires consultation with CFLPA. That is wrong & needs to be stopped. I don't think the teams can do much more than that. As far as players go... well, they have to realize timne, patience & money was spent from teams that developed them to where they are now. These teams need to be compensated. If that compensation means teams won't sign a free agent, too bad so sad. The third thing here is the players & league better start respecting the fans if they want to keep playing. No fans mean no games as has been shown by Covid. No tickets sold means no money. They need to think about what's best for the fans as well.

14 minutes ago, JCon said:

Has to be guarantees in the contracts. I don't know if we should get rid of one-year deals but we should provide some incentive for players (and teams) to sign multi-year deals. 

You know, I can understand rookies signing 1 year deals but not veterans like Willie Jefferson. Veteran players shouldn't be able to do so. 

7 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

I’d be for getting rid of 1 year deals. Maybe age related? 
2 years for younger players, rookies, and ‘Strevelers’ 1 year for vets and players over 25-26?

My feeling is if Joe Blow player from Nowheresville State University wants to play in the CFL then commit to a minimum of 2-3 years. If that isn't for you then find another league to play in, brutha. Or go back to stocking shelves at Costco. 

The San Francisco 49ers announced on Thursday they have signed WR River Cracraft (CRAY-craft) and WR Kevin White to one-year deals. In order to make room on the roster, the team released WR Jaron Brown and waived/injured DL Jonathan Kongbo.

I hope he catches on somewhere. I wonder if I can return my Kongbo 49ers' jersey? 

On 2020-08-24 at 11:10 AM, Bigblue204 said:

Yup, The 2.0 hate is short sighted if you ask me.

I agree with the critics of CFL 2.0 who say that the CFL's first priority should basically be to get it's own house in order - better relationship with the CFLPA; better salary cap structure and management; some type of revenue sharing model; focus on large market fan engagement, etc. However, to me it's not either/or. The CFL should do this and I still think it's worthwhile exploring a 2.0 type plan of trying to find streaming/TV revenue from other countries. Plus, developing players for other countries is kind of exciting. Wasn't that long ago that the thought of a Swedish or Finnish superstar hockey player seemed absurd. Who knows with football? The NFL is also doing a low key version of this with global players, so Ambrosie is not way off on this one.

Edited by M.Silverback

2 hours ago, JCon said:

The San Francisco 49ers announced on Thursday they have signed WR River Cracraft (CRAY-craft) and WR Kevin White to one-year deals. In order to make room on the roster, the team released WR Jaron Brown and waived/injured DL Jonathan Kongbo.

I hope he catches on somewhere. I wonder if I can return my Kongbo 49ers' jersey? 

....Sounds like it was a groin injury that caused him to be waived. Hopefully he catches on somewhere yet. He's a good'n...

On 2020-08-25 at 10:05 AM, Noeller said:

semi-related CFL/NFL TC bit...... Larry Arugala is apparently looking very good in LA Rams camp. Tweet I saw the other day from one of their beat writers said he's been the best kicker in camp. 

Poor Larry... hopefully his performance was enough to get him another look somewhere else.

10 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Poor Larry... hopefully his performance was enough to get him another look somewhere else.

Surprised he never did any trick kicks field goals like off the roof of the new stadium, from Row 25 in the upper bowl of the grandstand, through the tunnel in the concourse then right thru the uprights. 

11 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Surprised he never did any trick kicks field goals like off the roof of the new stadium, from Row 25 in the upper bowl of the grandstand, through the tunnel in the concourse then right thru the uprights. 

He used to do this trick when he was a Bomber where he bounced it off the goalpost. 

10 hours ago, JCon said:

He used to do this trick when he was a Bomber where he bounced it off the goalpost. 

That video of trick field goals came out about a month & a half before his last ever & most dismal game in a Bomber uniform. I remember watching it & saying to myself that he'll regret making it if he misses a key FG & it costs us a game or a playoff spot. I never imagined he'd have a game like that one which made that video seem even worse. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27