Jonathan Hefney Arrested For Trafficking

Noeller

I'm terribly sad for the guy. Hefney was my favorite Bomber while he was here. No priors. Gave back to the community. This is him in 2018 after an expensive and painful surgery to the shoulder he destroyed in 2015 (while entertaining us). He was finally regaining grip strength and feeling in his fingers 3 years after the injury.

image21-e1537015961829.jpg?quality=80&st

The CFL covered his expenses for 12 obligatory months then cut him off. I believe there was a grassroots fundraising effort in the CFL community that helped raise money for his surgeries. It's a crying shame this is where he ended up.

Edited by MOBomberFan
added a word

14 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

For Hefney, the CFL & the Bombers let him down. Shame on the CFL & Randy Ambrosie for letting him down. The league talks about player safety but then refuses to take care of one of its own & this happens. 

Who going to pay for all the medical bills for all the players?  This isn't the NFL which has billions of dollars available.

23 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

That's the league's problem. Figure something out to help these guys who suffer devastating injuries. Pay for their physio & prescription drugs. Do the right thing. 

Maybe the issue shouldn't be having to have the CFL pay.  Maybe the issue is living in the only country in the Western world that does not have universal health care.

The American for profit health care system stinks.

For what it's going to cost them to incarcerate this guy, they could have paid for his health care and then some.

But someone will probably be making a lot of money in their for profit prison system off of this.

puke.

Edited by Mark F

1. That penalty seems insane. Trafficking drugs is bad obviously, but come on.

2. I donated to Hefney's GoFundMe last year. I feel horrible that it wasn't enough. The guy was obviously desperate enough that he felt he had no choice.

I don't know much about him as a person, obviously, but he was always a class act when it came to the Bombers and it sucks that this is how it all ended up.

8 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Just read that 9 years was after a guilty plea, rather facing 25 years if convicted at trial! Sweet **** is that insane. Drug laws are barbaric.

The American justice system really hammers on criminals more than the Canadian system.  Depending on how much he had on him, he would have maybe received a 2-3 year sentence in Canada....or possibly even far less than that.  We have guys who commit some crazy murders(manslaughter) in Canada who get 1/3 of the time that Heffney got!

Edited by Albertabomberguy

Ya know he wasn't forced into a life of crime,  other people have managed to pay off medical bills doing honest work.  You'd think playing in the NFL and CFL that he would of saved a nice healthy chunk of money over the years.   

I don't know why anyone would make it seem like he was a victim.   

47 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Ya know he wasn't forced into a life of crime,  other people have managed to pay off medical bills doing honest work.  You'd think playing in the NFL and CFL that he would of saved a nice healthy chunk of money over the years.   

I don't know why anyone would make it seem like he was a victim.   

I'm with you on this. He played 7 years of professional ball. Even if he averaged $100k a year (he likely made more then that) he should have been set for life. I understand with all the procedures and medical bills it's a lot of money but he isnt the first person this has ever happened too. It's sad to see though. 

6 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Well, he was black, you know. White dealers get rehab, black one get jail.

Yes, I know. It still shocks me, the whole drug war, the hows and the whys, the evil and the hypocrisy. The worst is the helplessness as we watch another life get chewed up and destroyed. 

40 minutes ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

I'm with you on this. He played 7 years of professional ball. Even if he averaged $100k a year (he likely made more then that) he should have been set for life. I understand with all the procedures and medical bills it's a lot of money but he isnt the first person this has ever happened too. It's sad to see though. 

Making $100k/yr for seven years doesn't make you set for life.