Matt Nichols Discredited Too Much? Passing Yards Are Meaningless

51 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Anybody else feel like it could be an ugly night at IG Field Thursday. I mean if Nichols plays like he has and we lose to Calgary, I suspect the boo birds are going to be out in force. Yeah, so basically I feel like we are where we were last year.

I actually think we beat Calgary at home. This is a moment of adversity. 5-2 and losing two games we could have/should have won. Hopefully we open the playbook up a little bit and Nichols brings his A game. 

27 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

I actually think we beat Calgary at home. This is a moment of adversity. 5-2 and losing two games we could have/should have won. Hopefully we open the playbook up a little bit and Nichols brings his A game. 

I think the Esk at Calgary game today will make the next week game very interesting. If the Esk beat the Stamps - the Stamps will be looking for get even in the Peg. Now the same could be said about the Bombers losing two in a row out east and coming home. However I think the Bombers will be so up tight that they will be in self destruct mode if they fall behind. I actually hope for a Stamps win over Edmonton and maybe they will come in a little over confident etc. If the game comes down to a last minute drive for a win - we are toast - not in MN or POP's playbook.

Edited by BBRT
spelling

30 minutes ago, BBRT said:

I think the Esk at Calgary game today will make the next week game very interesting. If the Esk beat the Stamps - the Stamps will be looking for get even in the Peg. Now the same could be said about the Bombers losing two in a row out east and coming home. However I think the Bombers will be so up tight that they will be in self destruct mode if they fall behind. I actually hope for a Stamps win over Edmonton and maybe they will come in a little over confident etc. If the game comes down to a last minute drive for a win - we are toast - not in MN or POP's playbook.

It’s intetesting because Matt Nichols was excellent in 2017 in close games/game winning drives. I had no confidence that if Toronto took a lead we’d be able to pull out a win. I don’t want to write off Nichols after two underwhelming performances, however it’s clear he can’t stretch the field on a constant basis anymore. Thursday will be a big test to see where we stand. 

3 hours ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

It’s interesting because Matt Nichols was excellent in 2017 in close games/game winning drives. I had no confidence that if Toronto took a lead we’d be able to pull out a win. I don’t want to write off Nichols after two underwhelming performances, however it’s clear he can’t stretch the field on a constant basis anymore. Thursday will be a big test to see where we stand. 

Some athletes never regain their previous effectiveness after a serious injury, and for some, aging and cumulative injuries hamper them and shorten their careers.

17 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Some athletes never regain their previous effectiveness after a serious injury, and for some, aging and cumulative injuries hamper them and shorten their careers.

You know the thing is his mechanics are a little off and you can tell he’s un comfortable in the pocket, similar to what happened to drew willy but not as severe as a case. I think partially some of it is mental. It’s too bad. I’ve been a Matt Nichols supporter ever since he got here but I think it’s nearly time for a change. 

7 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Anybody else feel like it could be an ugly night at IG Field Thursday. I mean if Nichols plays like he has and we lose to Calgary, I suspect the boo birds are going to be out in force. Yeah, so basically I feel like we are where we were last year.

We lose to Calgary and we're 5-3 and we're officially in free-fall, something I thought we had matured past after 6 years.

5 hours ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

It’s intetesting because Matt Nichols was excellent in 2017 in close games/game winning drives. I had no confidence that if Toronto took a lead we’d be able to pull out a win. I don’t want to write off Nichols after two underwhelming performances, however it’s clear he can’t stretch the field on a constant basis anymore. Thursday will be a big test to see where we stand. 

Y'know, we lost in Toronto last year too. Maybe O'Shea is just being kind to his old team. :-)

This anti-Matty obsession appears to be spreading..... anyone know the birchwood on the way to Victoria beach.... I had a meal and a beer in there yesterday... and I gotta say the stuff being said around the bar once they started talking Bombers, it was eerily similar to sentiments that have been posted in here since the last game.  INJM 

32 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

This anti-Matty obsession appears to be spreading..... anyone know the birchwood on the way to Victoria beach.... I had a meal and a beer in there yesterday... and I gotta say the stuff being said around the bar once they started talking Bombers, it was eerily similar to sentiments that have been posted in here since the last game.  INJM 

In my experience, there is a lot of head-shaking, here-we-go-again conversations among both diehard and casual Bomber fans. I am not sure that fans will readily accept another almost good enough season. And I bought a new Bomber Jersey in May in a fit of optimism.

21 minutes ago, Tracker said:

In my experience, there is a lot of head-shaking, here-we-go-again conversations among both diehard and casual Bomber fans. I am not sure that fans will readily accept another almost good enough season. And I bought a new Bomber Jersey in May in a fit of optimism.

Can't say I disagree with the sentiment here. I'm really getting exhausted and fed up with close but no cigar. The fact of the matter is I don't expect the team to be a power house but we can't seem to steal grey cups either. Calgary 2001, Ottawa 2017, as examples. Saskatchewan 07.

We are so snake bit I think we're all expecting the worst when adversity rears its head. 

9 minutes ago, White Out said:

Can't say I disagree with the sentiment here. I'm really getting exhausted and fed up with close but no cigar. The fact of the matter is I don't expect the team to be a power house but we can't seem to steal grey cups either. Calgary 2001, Ottawa 2017, as examples. Saskatchewan 07.

We are so snake bit I think we're all expecting the worst when adversity rears its head. 

Things I've done since their last Grey Cup!

1. Graduated high school

2. University diploma

3. Got married

4. Had a kid

You have till November before I pay off my house and become debt-free, you bums.

21 minutes ago, Tracker said:

I'm not certain we will have to wait that long. The next game should clarify what this team is made of, and the fate of the coaches.

Lol. Nobody getting fired cuz the QB sucks. This is a game that should determine the fate of the QB tho. 

3 hours ago, AKAChip said:

We beat Toronto 38-20 in Toronto last season. 

Sorry man. Must have been the year before. That's two losses out of last three games in Toronto then.

32 minutes ago, Tracker said:

I'm not certain we will have to wait that long. The next game should clarify what this team is made of, and the fate of the coaches.

I agree we will see what we are made of on Thursday.  

The coaches are not going anywhere this season.  This regime has made is pretty clear they will not make any big in season changes. And frankly, when has a in-season change of position or head coach change resulted in dramatic change? 

As for Matty, the guy HAS to show his team he can man up and lead this bloody team. Hes gotta step up and put some bloody numbers up. First downs, yards, points and show some damn fire. 

Time to man-up Matty. 

What I have seen, its all mental. He is just not seeing the field beyond his first read. 

Edited by Dodge and Burn

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

Maybe the 5-0 start got some of us giddy at the prospect that we might finally be a really good team like the stamps have been all these years. Maybe we thought we finally had the players, coaches, schemes, etc. to stamp our authority on the league as it's best team. Maybe we thought, finally, we're too good to screw up like the Keystone Cops any more. Maybe. 

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

The next 5 games will show what kind of team we are this year.

The last 5 years under this regime shows plenty what kind of team this is. We'll make the playoffs, probably around 11-7, and be one and done in the first round unless the opposition has significant injury problems. That's what happens when you bring the same crap back year after year expecting different results.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Perfect said:

The last 5 years under this regime shows plenty what kind of team this is. We'll make the playoffs, probably around 11-7, and be one and done in the first round unless the opposition has significant injury problems. That's what happens when you bring the same crap back year after year expecting different results.

I assume you're referring to coaches. To be fair, we did replace Bellefeille and Tracy during that time.