Matt Nichols Discredited Too Much? Passing Yards Are Meaningless

14 hours ago, J5V said:

You said "there's no backup qb on any roster that is ready to take over if traded". They all can't throw a ball with good mechanics or accuracy? How do you know?

Well then, who is? Let's say Streveler did take over & he was ineffective. Who could come in here then  & take over?

2 hours ago, do or die said:

27 yards passing in a half......good thing those are meaningless.

but when you're a game manager, you point at completion percentage (67.7%) and turnovers (0).   Oh, but wait.... he doesn't want the game manager label!

In his mind, he played fine and it was the receivers who weren't getting open.  He mentioned in the post gamer on CJOB that receivers were all covered.  Sounds a lot like the blame game that went on in Calgary last year when he was really struggling a lot.   I wonder myself if the receivers and even Harris to a certain extent are giving up on him.  There was zero spark whatsoever in the 2nd half yesterday!

3 minutes ago, trueBlue83 said:

but when you're a game manager, you point at completion percentage (67.7%) and turnovers (0).   Oh, but wait.... he doesn't want the game manager label!

In his mind, he played fine and it was the receivers who weren't getting open.  He mentioned in the post gamer on CJOB that receivers were all covered.  Sounds a lot like the blame game that went on in Calgary last year when he was really struggling a lot.   I wonder myself if the receivers and even Harris to a certain extent are giving up on him.  There was zero spark whatsoever in the 2nd half yesterday!

He'd never say it but I believe Andrew Harris is absolutely disgusted with Nichols' play. It wouldn't be hard to believe a few others feel the same way. That performance was pathetic.

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Well then, who is? Let's say Streveler did take over & he was ineffective. Who could come in here then  & take over?

Every starter in the CFL was likely a backup at some point in their career. We have Streveler and McGuire. Vernon Adams is playing well. Fajardo and Arbuckle came in for the "first stringers" and are faring just fine. Evans came in for Masoli and beat us and almost beat the Riders yesterday. MBT took over for Franklin and just beat us. Like wow, there are obviously people out there that can play. I don't see how you think it's a lost cause and I don't see how anyone can argue that MN is the only one that can give us a chance to win. We need to wake up to the fact that other teams are winning with their backups while we are losing with our seasoned veteran.

I'm one of the first to give MN all the credit due when he is playing well but going back to 2017 those times are becoming fewer and fewer and his performance seems to be inversely proportional to the importance of the game. He's slow, indecisive, panicky, and trending in the wrong direction. 

1 hour ago, trueBlue83 said:

I agree that this is a possibility. I have seen and heard of it in times past when one part of the team was letting the other parts who were busting their butts down. The ill-will, if it exists, will mark the beginning of the end of more than one member of the team- players and coaches alike. There is a pretty good consensus here that Nichols is not getting the job done and not getting any better. If we can see this from our distance, you can bet your bippy that the players who give a spit are living it. This would explain why the wheels fell off in the past two games and the last one in particular.

1 hour ago, J5V said:

He'd never say it but I believe Andrew Harris is absolutely disgusted with Nichols' play. It wouldn't be hard to believe a few others feel the same way. That performance was pathetic.

Source? Pure speculation that you’re using to defend your position on Nichols. If true than give it up or delete it. 

9 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

Source? Pure speculation that you’re using to defend your position on Nichols. If true than give it up or delete it. 

My source is the look on Andrew Harris' face when he watches Nichols "manage" another 2 and out. Is it really that hard to believe?

4 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

My apologies! That’s definitely credible. I must have missed that. 

🙄

Someone else made a similar comment regarding Harris about a different game. Point is, it's got to be frustrating for fans and players alike. 

1 hour ago, J5V said:

Someone else made a similar comment regarding Harris about a different game. Point is, it's got to be frustrating for fans and players alike. 

We fans are as volatile as heck, but the players and their trust in their coaches, quarterback and each other is critical.

3 hours ago, J5V said:

I agree with this. Harris' facials are telling...he does look frustrated at times with Nichols play. Not sure why thats hard to believe when hes gonna have more rush yards than Nichols has passing. The fact our running back had more yards than our QB is crazy.. Like Nichols sucks. 170 passing has been the normal. And you know what... That does matter. Our RB had more yards than our QB did... And we lost. 

I think the D turning the ball over and Nichols coming out.. 2nd and 6 ish.. Throws a short incomplete pass on 2nd down. It says it all. Harris got him half way there on first down.. Nichols throws short on 2nd and 6.. 

Game on the line.. Hail Mary? Nope 10 yard pass in to double coverage

Then ppl talk about oh he fumbled.. Sure but he had more than half our O yards and 2 TDs.. Our QB had less passing yards than our RB had rush yards damn near and way less combined yards. 

21 completed pass for 169 yards ish 

Those are some damn short passes.

Edited by Goalie

Nichols is beginning to look very Drew Willyish......Gives you something and then turns it into something fit for the dumpster....He's demonstrating skills.....or lack thereof...  that got a quarterback sent packing and traded for a first rounder....hmmmmm....If Matt can't turn things around next game it's time for a change...insert the back-up before everything goes south...Failing that the coach should be on the hot seat, and a promising season starting to look like it's being frittered away, should be laid at his doorstep...(no not a load of manure)

Edited by Stickem

4 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Nichols is beginning to look very Drew Willyish......Gives you something and then turns it into something fit for the dumpster....He's demonstrating skills.....or lack thereof...  that got a quarterback sent packing and traded for a first rounder....hmmmmm....If Matt can't turn things around next game it's time for a change...insert the back-up before everything goes south...Failing that the coach should be on the hot seat, and a promising season starting to look like it's being frittered away, should be laid at his doorstep...(no not a load of manure)

With the O - line Willy had, it was at least a lot more understandable.  The current O is loaded with weapons, plus good young Canadians and the best American OTs in the league on the OL.  And Harris makes some outstanding blocks every game.