Matt Nichols Discredited Too Much? Passing Yards Are Meaningless

26 minutes ago, 66 Chevelle said:

Can't help but notice the absence of some members in this thread over the last 2 and a half weeks... 

The cat got your tongue USABomberfan?  I've been awaiting your insulting and demeaning commentary on how everyone is wrong... And Rod Black, no snide, witty comments to support your buddy?  Lol, imagine that...

at least SpeedFlex27  is big enough to come back and take the heat... One can at least respect that....

Maybe it is the deflating of enthusiasm and the eerie sense of deja vue.

26 minutes ago, 66 Chevelle said:

Can't help but notice the absence of some members in this thread over the last 2 and a half weeks... 

The cat got your tongue USABomberfan?  I've been awaiting your insulting and demeaning commentary on how everyone is wrong... And Rod Black, no snide, witty comments to support your buddy?  Lol, imagine that...

at least SpeedFlex27  is big enough to come back and take the heat... One can at least respect that....

All of the pro Nichols crowd groupies have turned Houdini. 

Speedflex has just been pragmatic about it the entire time. 

1 minute ago, Tracker said:

The infuriating thing about Nichols is that he has shown that he can do it. But will he? He is like a strip-tease performer- shows you enough to get excited but not enough to satisfy.

In the past issues with Nichols have been around production consistency. He'd disappear for half's at a time. But played his best ball late in games and post season. Now while thats still an issue, his biggest issue is lack of poise when pressured. 

That problem is much more worry some. He's gone from a sub elite qb that would flash being better here n there to playing at or below replacement level.

Baring injury it would take some thing extreme for the Canadian mafia to make  a change this season. 

And while I like streveler I haven't seen the step forward from him this year as a passer he needs to take. 

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

In the past issues with Nichols have been around production consistency. He'd disappear for half's at a time. But played his best ball late in games and post season. Now while thats still an issue, his biggest issue is lack of poise when pressured. 

That problem is much more worry some. He's gone from a sub elite qb that would flash being better here n there to playing at or below replacement level.

Baring injury it would take some thing extreme for the Canadian mafia to make  a change this season. 

And while I like streveler I haven't seen the step forward from him this year as a passer he needs to take. 

And given the plays he is asked to execute you won't see any progression in Streveler's development.  You would think that the team would be interested in preparing Streveler in case he would be called on for replacement duty....

15 minutes ago, Tracker said:

The infuriating thing about Nichols is that he has shown that he can do it. But will he? He is like a strip-tease performer- shows you enough to get excited but not enough to satisfy.

He hasn't really done it in a long time.  We get pretty excited about average QBing after last season.

13 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

He hasn't really done it in a long time.  We get pretty excited about average QBing after last season.

At the end of last season, it was obvious that Nichols was injured but was still putting out. I cannot speak for others, but I assumed that he would come back this spring, healed and as good as he was in 2017. My bad.

Just now, Tracker said:

At the end of last season, it was obvious that Nichols was injured but was still putting out. I cannot speak for others, but I assumed that he would come back this spring, healed and as good as he was in 2017. My bad.

I'm not buying the whole 'Nichols was injured at the end of the year' thing... If he were, Nichols would have been more than happy to offer that up to the media and fans as an excuse. That's exactly what he did at the end of the 2017 season...

no one from the team ever eluded to this possibility, no media member ever brought it up as a possibility, or questioned Nichols about if he was injured or had any lingering effects due to prior injuries that may be effecting his game play...

the only people that ever hinted at a injury for Nichols at the end of 2018 were fans....

15 minutes ago, 66 Chevelle said:

I'm not buying the whole 'Nichols was injured at the end of the year' thing... If he were, Nichols would have been more than happy to offer that up to the media and fans as an excuse. That's exactly what he did at the end of the 2017 season...

no one from the team ever eluded to this possibility, no media member ever brought it up as a possibility, or questioned Nichols about if he was injured or had any lingering effects due to prior injuries that may be effecting his game play...

the only people that ever hinted at a injury for Nichols at the end of 2018 were fans....

That's because the media has learned not to ask this regime about injuries. You'll never get a straight answer. It's pretty obvious that the players and team personnel have been instructed to never talk about injuries. It's all hush, hush. 

But, if it were true, in the most important game of the year, the Western Finals, you think your best shot of winning is going with an injured QB? If so, you do it because of experience, but you stay with him the entire game when you have a cable back up on the sidelines and are playing for a chance in the Grey cup?

Just now, J5V said:

That's because the media has learned not to ask this regime about injuries. You'll never get a straight answer. It's pretty obvious that the players and team personnel have been instructed to never talk about injuries. It's all hush, hush. 

I'll take "what is a lower body injury"  for $1,000, Alex....

1 minute ago, 66 Chevelle said:

But, if it were true, in the most important game of the year, the Western Finals, you think your best shot of winning is going with an injured QB? If so, you do it because of experience, but you stay with him the entire game when you have a cable back up on the sidelines and are playing for a chance in the Grey cup?

Injured or not, that's what happened, so ... yeah.

What separates average from great?  It's the ability to make the two or three throws a game that separate winning from losing.  Often this is just a matter of stringing together 2-3 first downs at a certain point in the game, regardless of earlier mistakes.  Even when Nichols has been playing well he's often outdueled in this regard.  Putting up a bunch of TD's in the first half is often not enough.

19 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

What separates average from great?  It's the ability to make the two or three throws a game that separate winning from losing.  Often this is just a matter of stringing together 2-3 first downs at a certain point in the game, regardless of earlier mistakes.  Even when Nichols has been playing well he's often outdueled in this regard.  Putting up a bunch of TD's in the first half is often not enough.

For me the difference between good and great is that good is stagnant and great is always growing and evolving. 

Medlock is always improving and working on new stuff that provides him his edge. He doesn't have the strongest leg or best raw tools in the cfl. 

Nichols has never become more then he was late in the year he took over for willy. At times he is a game manager. Occasionally he has flashed signs of brilliance. More often then being brilliant though he's been Mia for long stretches of games. 

While I agree with everything said here about Nichols I can't help but believe it isn't just him alone. Yes he can't seem to read defenses, can't seem to go through progressions but I think another part of it is the play calling and how limited he is with it. Yes I don't think he can throw an accurate long ball except on occasion only but the play calling is not good when it should be. As for our back up I don't think he is being groomed well enough to become a #1. He has all the tools but is being limited in what he can do and while I'm not at practice I doubt he is being taught the nuances that are required in this league. After all he did come direct from college to CFL only last year. We will see I guess.

I don't know each off season they speak about how Matt Nichols is in better condition (lost weight gained muscle) and how he has studied film and etc... etc...    

I think the issue with Matt is mostly mental and a close 2nd is his athletic ability.     

The whole game manager is a nice way of saying  "White guy with limited mobility,  limited arm,  smart brain".    It's the same BS when they call every black qb  "True athlete" meaning  "Strong arm,  great mobility,  dumb as a door knob"  See Jonathan Jennings....

Everyone craps on Streveler running to much and crap on his throwing mechanics.... at least with Streveler the guy is a bull dozer and has good speed so late in the game when we need only one first down he's much more likely to roll out and bull doze his way for 10 yards then Nichols doing his patented panic and throw a ball into the turf for 5 yards. 

This forum is a becoming a ******* mess. Win 5 in july... grey cup bound, lose 2 in July,  fire everyone and look forward to 2020. And of course... "Dont see the pro Nichols crowd out" while conveniently forgetting they were gone during the winning. Lol.

Its Aug 5th, bombers are 5 and 2 tied for 1st with room for improvement. Hope you all enjoyed the long weekend!.

But in the same manner that Nichols is only running the plays given to him, it's the same for Streveler... I'm sure that if given the opportunity to respond in a manner that wouldn't effect his career, he'd tell you that he'd rather have more balance in play calling for himself... After all, by not doing so it makes his running less effective because it's expected and anticipated by the defense... Much in the same way Nichols is when only given the  dink and dunk crap to execute..

in games 3, 4, and 5 you saw a lot more dynamic play calling... Go to game 6 and Nichols throws the int and all of a sudden Lapo loses trust in Nichols and plays it safe with the play calling... Act 2 was on display last game... It's obvious that Lapo lacks trust in Nichols and his abilities...

6 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

This forum is a becoming a ******* mess. Win 5 in july... grey cup bound, lose 2 in July,  fire everyone and look forward to 2020. And of course... "Dont see the pro Nichols crowd out" while conveniently forgetting they were gone during the winning. Lol.

Its Aug 5th, bombers are 5 and 2 tied for 1st with room for improvement. Hope you all enjoyed the long weekend!.

I guess that should be some what expected after winning your first 5 games of the season and then lose the next 2 to a team with a back up QB with little or no real game experience  and for the most part he was less than good and the other to a winless team, one that had many asking if they'd win one at all in 2019...

3 hours ago, 66 Chevelle said:

Aw, I didn’t know you missed me. 

5 hours ago, 66 Chevelle said:

And you are?