Regular Season Bomber News

Mr Dee

11 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Bye week in week 2.

Smarter to take care of it now.

if they're only nicked (sounds like it -- both were running around in practice this week) and if the first couple weeks of the season are glorified pre-season anyhow, then I'm more than okay with resting these guys based on the Week 2 bye. Whatever happens tomorrow is what it is, and Week 3 we start for realz...

Yup, smart move resting people. These games matter in the standings but it's still very much a pre season game...last night is a prime example. Lots of football too go, I want this team health in late August and september etc. Injuries in June suck, but injuries in the second half of the season are way worse.

1 hour ago, Colin Unger said:

No Matthews or Neufeld in week 1.  According to Bob Irving the bombers just made this official.

Kind of expected. Especially with Neufeld. 

1 hour ago, Colin Unger said:

The thing that worries me is when O'Shea goes dark on a Pat Neufeld injury who knows how long the guy could be out.  He could be week to week for the whole season.  I guess Winnipeg is gonna use this game to evaluate Gray, Speller, Couture and if need be start an american guard in week 3 after the bye.

Yep weve seen it before. Not a fan. 

59 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

IncompatibleMilkyAmberpenshell-size_rest

Love it. Juran Bolden, #21 who was all "GTFO here".

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/08/best-sports-gifs-kerwin-bell-spike-ball-crotch-valdosta-state-coach-colts-dolphins-florida-video

“My competitiveness and the way I played the game  got the best of me at that moment,” Bell remembered in an interview with For The Win this week. “I was just sort of playing around and talking trash. But it didn’t turn out quite the way I expected it.”

Instead, Bell nailed himself in the groin and Bolden gave him a push, with the QB landing on another opponent. Bell’s only thought at that moment?

“I was upset that I got a flag,” he said. “I actually got hit with the ball and by Juran. They got me for taunting or whatever it was for.”

Back then, there was no YouTube or Twitter to make the clip instantaneously go viral. But there was TSN, which Bell said ran the highlight “night and day for a week.”

“I realized that it was something that was going to last the rest of my life,” he said."

Never gets old. 

some of the talking heads were tweeting this week that Neufeld was running around at practice this week and more or less looked fine (ie - nothing super serious like a ruptured achilles or MCL/ACL tear) so I fully expect him to be back in Week 3...

12 minutes ago, Noeller said:

some of the talking heads were tweeting this week that Neufeld was running around at practice this week and more or less looked fine (ie - nothing super serious like a ruptured achilles or MCL/ACL tear) so I fully expect him to be back in Week 3...

Yes, but the same ones who didnt notice foketi was MIA for what a week and a half, 2 weeks?

Never know, look at kevin durant trying to play hurt. On this team you can only guess how some one is hurt, and how serious it is. 

Edited by wbbfan

On ‎12‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 11:38 AM, TrueBlue4ever said:

I had honestly thought about starting a new thread on "who is the scapegoat this year?" and debated the good taste of it, but given the history of this forum I think the topic is ripe for debate. And great moniker for the award!  Who will join the previous luminaries who have won, like Dave Donaldson, Kito Poblah, Kerwin Bell, Brock Ralph, Sean Salisbury, Doug Brown (write-in candidate from Nasty Nate), Kevin Glenn, Kamau Peterson, and Hall of Fame member Troy Westwood?

Coaches exempt from consideration, since every one of them since Bud Grant, save for Mike Riley, is an automatic target no matter what. 

This year's contenders:

Matt Nichols - the starting QB in Winnipeg is always going to be on the short list until they win a Cup or break a yardage record. Almost should be a separate category for them like coaches. Just a reminder, Streveler is 1-3 as a starter, Nichols is 30-14.

Hecht - hilarious that the guy he replaced in Loffler (a 3-time CFL all-star mind you) got trashed fairly regularly when he played here the last couple of seasons for not being able to cover, and yet we've downgraded? Maybe safety just isn't that important a position if a scrub like Loffler can be so inconsistent and lousy yet still be the best in the league.

Nic Demski - Just a gut feeling here. Had a couple of big games last year where he looked like a future star, but also some inconsistency and trouble securing the ball at times. With Dressler gone fans may expect the local kid (who had never come close to 500 receiving yards before last season) to step up, and if he doesn't come close to 1000 they may turn. I think Wolitarsky will get more of a pass than him for the time being.

Michael Couture - If the o-line struggles, people will look to the replacements for Goosen and Cheung for the scapegoat, and I think as the rookie Grey will get more of a pass. Maybe Neufeld if he stays hurt or comes back playing worse because of an undisclosed injury.

Kyrie Wilson - AKAChip write-in candidate.

Any others?

Scapegoat update after game 1:

Nichols - Low yardage, high QB rating, and showed nice touch on a couple of long passes. But the best part of his game was his escapability in the red zone. Looks like the knee problems from last year are not a factor, and his scrambling led to the Adams and Wolitarsky (#2) TDs. Will always be on the list due to the nature of the position, but slides down the depth chart with a solid game (management).

Hecht - Another serving of crow, anyone? Even if you take away the 2 INTs, his chicken dance to Duron Carter should remove him from any scapegoat consideration for a while.

Demski - Fairly uninvolved game for one of our key Canadian offensive weapons. And ball security reared its ugly head again with a fumble that luckily rolled out of bounds. But wins gloss over many flaws, so he is off the hook for now.

Couture - Some good protection, but even better run blocking from the interior of the line. Whole o-line is in the good books for now.

Wilson - 3 tackles, no glaring mistakes, only the injury seems notable from this game for him, although I wasn't tracking him specifically to make a full analysis.

Any new candidates? Fenner got beaten badly on a TD pass, but redeemed himself immediately with the blocked convert return.. Cover teams may need some work, not sure who missed their assignment on the kick return TD. Whitehead did very little offensively to show off his speed and was not out on the return team.

17 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Nichols - Low yardage, high QB rating, and showed nice touch on a couple of long passes. But the best part of his game was his escapability in the red zone. Looks like the knee problems from last year are not a factor, and his scrambling led to the Adams and Wolitarsky (#2) TDs. Will always be on the list due to the nature of the position, but slides down the depth chart with a solid game (management).

Hecht - Another serving of crow, anyone? Even if you take away the 2 INTs, his chicken dance to Duron Carter should remove him from any scapegoat consideration for a while.

Demski - Fairly uninvolved game for one of our key Canadian offensive weapons. And ball security reared its ugly head again with a fumble that luckily rolled out of bounds. But wins gloss over many flaws, so he is off the hook for now.

Couture - Some good protection, but even better run blocking from the interior of the line. Whole o-line is in the good books for now.

Wilson - 3 tackles, no glaring mistakes, only the injury seems notable from this game for him, although I wasn't tracking him specifically to make a full analysis.

Any new candidates? Fenner got beaten badly on a TD pass, but redeemed himself immediately with the blocked convert return.. Cover teams may need some work, not sure who missed their assignment on the kick return TD. Whitehead did very little offensively to show off his speed and was not out on the return team.

Jefferson because he didn’t get three sacks and an interception

22 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I'm not sure exactly what you are meaning by scapegoat? 

Football is definitely a team game (i.e., win as a team, lose as a team) but sometimes focus on an individual player is warranted win, lose or draw.  Yes sometimes people can get an unhealthy uninformed hate on for a specific player (s) that can be unwarranted but other times it may be valid feedback/observation that is misconstrued as being a hater. In some cases it's probably not as black and white to understand which scenario is happening when it comes to being critical of a specific player. 

1 minute ago, HardCoreBlue said:

I'm not sure exactly what you are meaning by scapegoat? 

Football is definitely a team game (i.e., win as a team, lose as a team) but sometimes focus on an individual player is warranted win, lose or draw.  Yes sometimes people can get an unhealthy uninformed hate on for a specific player (s) that can be unwarranted but other times it may be valid feedback/observation that is misconstrued as being a hater. In some cases it's probably not as black and white to understand which scenario is happening when it comes to being critical of a specific player. 

relax it's a joke, not to mention we like to nitpick especially after a win.

51 minutes ago, Firekid said:

My vote goes to Demski. I wish he was more consistent. I feel like there is a good chance of a turnover every time the ball goes his way. 😟

Demski is way too involved in the downfield passing component of our offense for my liking.  I’d be giving Wolitarsky far more reps in the slot.

2 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

How long before we can start a "trade Neufeld" thread?  :rolleyes:

Probably as soon as he gets healthy 🤣

We did play one of the worst DLs and front 7s in the league. But If they maintain that level of play for a few weeks I wouldnt break up the starters. Neuf could be the 6th OL though then Desjarlais would have to be our 1 inactive each game, and mcgloster would go to the PR. Idk that Neufeld has a ton of value in a trade, though wait for a few OL injuries around the league and im sure some one would over pay for one of the spare NI OL be it neufeld, or desjarlais.

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Demski is way too involved in the downfield passing component of our offense for my liking.  I’d be giving Wolitarsky far more reps in the slot.

One of my favourite plays was the catch where Wolitarsky put his shoulder into the db and pushed the ball down to the goal line (and I think a review might have called that a td) love a receiver who just goes forward and makes the db man up to try and stop you.