CIS Draft - May 2nd

Noeller

My question with Eli isn't about desire so much as health. He had some significant injuries prior to his semi-retirement. On top of that, hasn't played in awhile. If he is healthy and able to play, there's certainly no doubting his talent. 

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

My question with Eli isn't about desire so much as health. He had some significant injuries prior to his semi-retirement. On top of that, hasn't played in awhile. If he is healthy and able to play, there's certainly no doubting his talent. 

I should think that the CFL game ought to be a good less debilitating than the NFL where the average weight (probably supplemented by PEDS) is approaching 400 pounds and the clashes are a good deal more violent.

1 hour ago, CodyT said:

My question with Eli is how long is he really going to be committed to playing football for.

1 year? 2 years? Somebody on the fence doesn’t seem like a career long player, regardless nice add especially that late

I think it was more due to being hurt..the rehab. The process..from my experience over my years some guys when hurt say eff it..I'm done..but true ballers once healed..end up like a caged bull..and crave to get back..I think this is the case here..especially with high end players

Its just nice to have draft results where you don't immediately go - man, I can't believe they picked buddy while better talent was on the board...

Like all of the bombers picks Round 1-4...  might have taken Malcolm Lee over Malik Richards... and Lyles over Hallett... but whatevs...

Suddenly it feels like our OL/DL is quite deep...

Edited by Floyd

3 hours ago, CodyT said:

My question with Eli is how long is he really going to be committed to playing football for.

1 year? 2 years? Somebody on the fence doesn’t seem like a career long player, regardless nice add especially that late

The concern is reasonable, but at the same time, you just can't pass up the opportunity to sign talent like that.  After all, no draft selection or player can guarantee anything beyond the next play.

2 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

The concern is reasonable, but at the same time, you just can't pass up the opportunity to sign talent like that.  After all, no draft selection or player can guarantee anything beyond the next play.

It worked out pretty well for us when we selected Simonise who had been out of competitive football for a period of time and it worked out great the Loffler who had major injury concerns.  The key is developing the Canadian talent well and accumulating additional picks so you can roll the dice one some picks which could pan out really well.

Not sure about Edmonton's draft. I feel like their cupboards are already bare and they drafted Betts who "might" never play in the CFL and an offensive lineman who only projects as a tackle in the CFL. The odds are against any one player who's brought to the CFL as a tackle to end up being good enough.  Seems pretty risky to me. 

6 hours ago, CodyT said:

Later round pick so it's not the end of the world if it doesn't work out. Most likely somethings not going to work out. It's how the Canadian draft goes

17 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Nah. I leave most of them alone, but I live in a few posters heads without paying rent and they like to bring my name up when they post so I reply.

Yeah, I made it easier and just have you in my Signature now. 

RENT FREE BABY!!!! 

:) 

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

15 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Intellectual like OMG EVERY PICK WAS AMAZING! We've completely fixed our NI problems! All of our picks will be all stars in a couple of years! Even better than the all stars we lost in the off season!

You know, I've come to realize something. You're not about getting into some posters heads here because in reality they don't really care what you say. I think it comes down to you actually wanting the Bombers to fail. To not have a winning season. To not win a Grey Cup championship. Why else would you always be so negative?

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

You know, I've come to realize something. You're not about getting into some posters heads here because in reality they don't really care what you say. I think it comes down to you actually wanting the Bombers to fail. To not have a winning season. To not win a Grey Cup championship. Why else would you always be so negative?

That's not fair to say- Tburg is totally a bomber fan, he invests a lot of emotion and thought into the Bombers. He is totally one of us- a Winnipeg Blue Bomber fan through and through- I honestly believe that. I certainly don't think he's hoping the Bombers fail.

Tburg is the "Tiger Mom" of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers- 

Tiger parenting (虎妈, "tiger mother" or "tiger mom") is strict or demanding parenting. Tiger parents push and pressure their children to attaining high levels of academic achievement or success in high-status extra-curricular activities such as music, using authoritarian parenting methods.[1]A largely Chinese-American concept, the term draws parallels to strict parenting styles typically enforced throughout households in East Asia, South Asia and Southeast Asia.[3][4][5][6][7]  The stereotyped figure often portrays a Chinese mother who relentlessly drives her child to study hard, to the detriment of the child's social and physical development, and emotional well being.

The tiger mom is analogous to other parenting stereotypes such as the American stage mother who forces her child to achieve career success in Hollywood, the stereotypical Japanese kyōiku mama who takes an enormous amount of effort in directing much of her maternal influence towards development of their children's educational and intellectual achievement, or the Jewish mother's drive for her children to succeed academically and professionally, resulting in a push for perfection and a continual dissatisfaction with anything less or the critical, self-sacrificing mother who coerces her child into medical school or law school.[8]

-Wikipedia

If you look at it in that manner- Tburg is probably one of the Blue Bombers biggest fans. 

5 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

You've got that wrong and you know it. You're one of those 'If you're not overtly positive all the time, you're negative' folks. I look at both sides, not just at the positives. You used to do that too, but have gone over to the Pollyanna side.

Now you seem more interested in how negative I am than anything else. Angry that I don't see things the same way you do. If you and others didn't care what I type, you'd let it go. You wouldn't consistently bring up my name or call me out. You'd just think... that guy doesn't think the same as I do. It's kinda of funny/sad actually considering how you react to every tiny perceived slight against you on these boards.

I want the Bombers to get 1st in the West and go on to win the Grey Cup. I was at the game the last time they won it all. I still remember what it felt like.

I want the Bombers to make the right decisions so they can win the Cup again. I don't assume that every decision they make is good or bad. I call each one as I see it. I don't assume that just because it's a good looking pick that it's going to work out, because lots of good looking picks never work out. I don't assume that players who gave up on football or were out of the game for a year or more will suddenly become fully invested again and that's what it takes to play in the CFL. I don't assume that a blown out knee will get back to normal especially in the short term. I don't assume that 'if he hadn't got injured' or 'if he hadn't taken a year off' he'd have been drafted to the NFL is true or even means anything. I don't assume that this years draft picks are all going to be starters, let alone as good as the all stars we lost. I agree that everything might turn out the way we hope it does, but I don't assume it.

7 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

6 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

That's not fair to say- Tburg is totally a bomber fan, he invests a lot of emotion and thought into the Bombers. He is totally one of us- a Winnipeg Blue Bomber fan through and through- I honestly believe that. I certainly don't think he's hoping the Bombers fail.

Tburg is the "Tiger Mom" of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers- 

If you look at it in that manner- Tburg is probably one of the Blue Bombers biggest fans. 

Not to flog the dead horse a bit more, but there are people in this world who simply like to be contrary for contrary's sake.  It feeds something in them to stand against the prevailing opinion.  Someone can care about something, like the Bombers and still want to be the "loyal opposition".  Ya, it can be a bit tiring but he's not trying to be destructive, unlike some (thankfully) former posters here.

It’s always interesting to read a positive view of what the Bombers have done lately...(being ranked #1 doesn’t hurt either)

Here’s a write-up on the Blue Bomber draft picks, and league wide analysis.

https://theratiobreaker.com/2019/05/05/2019-cfl-draft-class-rankings-and-analysis/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Bombers:

Overall: Everything fits perfectly here. An inside the park homerun of a draft that will help the Bombers for years to come.”

Round One, Pick #4
Selection: Drew Desjarlais, OL, Windsor
Verdict: I Like It
Thoughts: This is a wonderfully easy, par for the course pick. Desjarlais solves their offensive line depth issues instantly and could compete to be a day one starter at center. He is the type of player who will turn few heads throughout his career but can be expected to perform at a consistently high level for a decade.

Round One, Pick #5
Selection: Jonathan Kongbo, DE, Tennesse
Thoughts: A bit of an unexpected pick for the Bombers but adds a dynamic rotational weapon to their defensive line. Kongbo has underachieved throughout his college career and is recovering from a serious injury, so taking him at the top of the draft is not without risk but I feel he is uniquely built to excel in the CFL game.

Round Two, Pick #14
Selection: Brady Oliviera, RB, North Dakota
Verdict: I Love It
Thoughts: To me, this is a selection three years in the making. Forget that Maleek Irons is faster, Oliviera is the far superior back and possesses every tool you look for. He is a high character, local kid who I believe can eventually take over for Andrew Harris with little drop in production from a running, receiving or blocking standpoint.

Round Three, Pick #25
Selection: Connor Griffiths, DT, UBC
Thoughts: Griffiths gives the Bombers another strong inside presence to push the pocket and great opportunities for their athletic ends. Griffiths will be an instant rotational contributor and gives them the flexibility to start a national at defensive tackle if the situation demands it.

Round Four, Pick #34
Selection: Tavita Asotui Eli, OL, Hawaii
Thoughts: Eli is a mystery wrapped in an enigma but talent wise you can make a strong case that he is the best Offensive Lineman available. A natural center who was converting to left tackle before a knee injury cost him his senior year and he seemingly retired from football. If the Bombers can convince him to resume his career, this pick will have been a coup d’etat. If they can’t, the risk will have still been worth it in the mid-rounds for a team with some of the league’s best Canadian depth.

Round Five, Pick #43
Selection: Malik Richards, REC, Mount Allison
Thoughts: The Bombers have four legitimate starting-calibre National receivers on their roster, so being able to add an explosive big-bodied target this late in the draft is simply a case of the rich getting richer.

Round Six, Pick #52
Selection: Tariq LaChance, DE, Manitoba
Thoughts: LaChance is the type of versatile special teams’ athlete that you look for in the draft’s later rounds. The fact that he is local is just extra validation that he could be a long-term contributor in that regard.

Round Seven, Pick #61
Selection: Nick Hallett, DB, Toronto
Thoughts: Hallett is one of the most under-rated defensive back prospects in the draft and he is an absolute steal in the seventh round. He will compete for a back-up role at safety and could be a dark horse candidate to see the field before year’s end.

Round Eight, Pick #70
Selection: Kerfalla-Emmanuel Exume, DB, Montreal
Thoughts: A good special teams’ addition without reaching, Exume has enough coverage upside and ball skills to make this a smart pick.

Edited by Mr Dee

People shouldn't count out our two OL picks from last year either... Matthew Ouellet de Carlo and Ben Koczwara. This season, De Carlo was an AUS allstar at tackle and Koczwara was a first team OUA allstar at guard. Both players should legitimately compete for spots at camp along with Neufeld, Couture, Gray, Speller and Desjarlais.

Edited by Atomic

2 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

. I don't assume that every decision they make is good or bad. I call each one as I see it.

This I actually do believe. The problem as always stems from some people having a more inherently negative outlook on the world. Rather than thinking what will go right they instead first think "how can this go wrong" 

As a positive person it annoys the **** out of me. How can people constantly look for negatives? It leads to people being miserable. Gotta find the positives in things. 

By most if not all accounts that I have read Desjarlais sounds like a kid who will compete to start right from the beginning of TC. For a team that lost 2 NI OL starters that's huge imo. Kongbo and Griffiths sound like they can be rotational players on the DL this year. Add them to Jake Thomas and potentially we can fill one NI Starting spot this year. To me that's a win. Oliviera sounds like he can be a great backup to Harris this year and should allow us to reduce the wear and tear on Harris this season. All of this alone makes me wonder how people can be upset or critical of our draft.

26 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

This I actually do believe. The problem as always stems from some people having a more inherently negative outlook on the world. Rather than thinking what will go right they instead first think "how can this go wrong" 

As a positive person it annoys the **** out of me. How can people constantly look for negatives? It leads to people being miserable. Gotta find the positives in things. 

I'm thought of as negative no matter if I hate our draft pick like Jade Etienne or if I like our draft picks, but want to wait until we see what we actually have before I fit them for an all star jersey.

As a realist, I can't understand how people can only look at positive things. You guys must get constantly disappointed when things don't turn out great all the time.

I’m a realist. 

I’m positive about that. 

But I can enjoy the good and accept the bad.

That is life. In all areas.

Handle the disappointments and enjoy the good things. There’s nothing wrong with looking forward to an event/occasion or even a new member of a football team.

Why wait years to enjoy the moment?

After all, we only have so many moments..