How Happy Are You With Paul LaPolice

BigBlue

Rate your SATISFACTION with our Coordinator  

64 members have voted

1. 1. How satisfied are you with what LAPO is doing?

• Very happy
    • Usually pleased
    • Somewhat satisfied
    • Unhappy
    • Extremely displeased
    • Other

20 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

And yet, we have won something like 25 games with him as OC in 16 & 17 & Matt Nichols has had two very, very good seasons as his qb.  We were the highest scoring offense last season. He had a bad game on Saturday but I think it's way too early to think he needs replacing.  Personally, I think talk like that is crazy.

This, and I've had a few times I felt Lapo went too conservative and safe with his play calls, and other times where he tried to get too smart with them.  But all in all, I'd say more times than not our guys have been put in position to execute and I have enough confidence that debacle of the second half in BC will get fixed starting this week in Toronto.  We just need to kind of need to break the good-bad-good-bad week to week offense streak.

Lapolice definitely should go nowhere unless it's to get a head coach job in which case ... He'll have rightly earned it.  Can definitely say he's put pretty consistently good offenses on the field, a polar opposite of our defensive coordinator and his dumpster fire worst in CFL history defenses.

He is one of, if not the best, offensive coordinator in the league.

His offense has consistently been one of the best in the league in points and yards the last couple years. His offense is creative, both in the pass and run game. Look at how he has crafted his game plans for Matt Nichols and Chris Streveler.

Dude had a bad game. It happens.

1 minute ago, Captain Blue said:

He is one of, if not the best, offensive coordinator in the league.

His offense has consistently been one of the best in the league in points and yards the last couple years. His offense is creative, both in the pass and run game. Look at how he has crafted his game plans for Matt Nichols and Chris Streveler.

Dude had a bad game. It happens.

Every other quarter.  The inconsistency is a huge problem.  He finally solved the redzone issue by trusting Harris, but not much else has changed.  He does less with more, this an expensive offense and they should be dominant.

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I have all kinds of patience for LaPo. I have run out of patience on Hall who has not shown he is capable of building a championship defense. He should have been fired right after the West Semi Final last November. 

We have fixed the positional issues on D. We are at a point where chemistry is less and less of an issue (JSK and bighill fed off each other and worked great together from jumpstreet) 

At this point the only place to point the finger is hall. The D flashes brilliance. But time and time again we see the prevent allow teams to get back into games.

7 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Every other quarter.  The inconsistency is a huge problem.  He finally solved the redzone issue by trusting Harris, but not much else has changed.  He does less with more, this an expensive offense and they should be dominant.

First in total points. Fourth in passing yards and first in rushing yards. Second in pass TDs and first in rush TDs. 

All this with a rookie QB starting 3 of 5 games.

I don't dispute we have sunk plenty of resources into the offensive side of the ball. They have, for the most part, played well this season.

1 minute ago, Captain Blue said:

First in total points. Fourth in passing yards and first in rushing yards. Second in pass TDs and first in rush TDs. 

I don't dispute we have sunk plenty of resources into the offensive side of the ball. They have, for the most part, played well this season.

2 big games (one of them a big half), 1 average game, 2 terrible games offensively.  One big game and one terrible game per QB.

Not good for consistently winning games.  Can't go quarters at a time without gaining a first down or scoring points.  This is a case where stats are for losers.

4 minutes ago, Captain Blue said:

well over all but its really been feast or famine. 

2 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

2 big games (one of them a big half), 1 average game, 2 terrible games offensively.  One big game and one terrible game per QB.

Not good for consistently winning games.  Can't go quarters at a time without gaining a first down or scoring points.  This is a case where stats are for losers.

It's been 5 games, so yes the sample size is small. Three high scoring games (30, 56, 41) and two low scoring games (17, 17). And, like I've said, this past one was clearly an awful outing for all involved.

14 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

With the exception of the Stamps, every team has looked really good or really bad. Look at tonight's game with that botched quick kick that was blocked.  

It wasn't blocked (contrary to what the announcer saw).  Massoli hit it off of the outside of his foot rather than square on it, or towards the inside which would have sent it down field (possibly into a block).

On 2018-07-18 at 8:46 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

And yet, we have won something like 25 games with him as OC in 16 & 17 & Matt Nichols has had two very, very good seasons as his qb.  We were the highest scoring offense last season. He had a bad game on Saturday but I think it's way too early to think he needs replacing.  Personally, I think talk like that is crazy.

He's been fired as many times as he has in his career for a reason. Is he the best in the league when it comes to creativity? Yeah probably. Does he call plays effectively based on the game situation? 50/50 at best.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Perfect said:

He's been fired as many times as he has in his career for a reason. Is he the best in the league when it comes to creativity? Yeah probably. Does he call plays effectively based on the game situation? 50/50 at best.

Seriously?  He's been hired as many times as he has for a reason too.  

12 minutes ago, Mr. Perfect said:

All coaches get fired whether as a HC or part of a staff that is let go. Being fired is part of the business. I'd still take LaPo over many other OC's. Except Dave Dickenson & even he has made some whopper of mistakes while being acknowledged as being one of the brightest in football.  LaPo has done very well & has had a lot of success at the OC level. Does he make mistakes?  Sure but every coach does like Dickenson's goal line call in the 2016 GC with Andrew Buckley. **** happens even to the best of them. 

As bad as some of the short yardage LaPo play calls were last Saturday against BC nothing compares to that incredibly stupid onside punt last night that June Jones called when the Ti Cats were leading & had the Riders on the ropes.  His response as to why they used it? Hey, it worked all 4 times they tried it in practice.  So why not?  Jones got greedy. Instead of kicking it deep to the Rider offense & let his defense take care of business, Jones wanted to recover the punt. Jones got tricky. So tricky that he tricked himself.  I've seen major blow outs on playcalling & it happens to everyone.  LaPolice is the best OC we've had.... since he was the OC with us last time. He & Nichols work well together but nights like last Saturday are going to happen occasionally.

23 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

Seriously?  He's been hired as many times as he has for a reason too.  

You can easily apply the same logic to Marcel Bellefeuille. If you can't make it work with Khari Jones, Charles Roberts, and Milt Stegall, you aren't going to make it work period.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Perfect said:

You can easily apply the same logic to Marcel Bellefeuille. If you can't make it work with Khari Jones, Charles Roberts, and Milt Stegall, you aren't going to make it work period.

Khari is struggling & Bellefeuille was just awful. LaPo is head & shoulders above those 2.  Maybe KJ would do better if he had a legit qb to work with but he signed on in Montreal as the OC knowing they had nothing at qb so he knew what he was in for. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

10 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Khari is struggling & Bellefeuille was just awful. LaPo is head & shoulders above those 2.  Maybe KJ would do better if he had a legit qb to work with but he signed on in Montreal as the OC knowing they had nothing at qb so he knew what he was in for. 

...I was referring to 2002 when Lapo was the OC here as well, and Khari was the quarterback, hence why I also mentioned Charles Roberts and Milt Stegall - not Khari's success, or lack there of as a playcaller. Thought that was obvious. 

Lapo is a guy that would rather give a carry to Andre Sadeghian with the game on the line (and he did for the folks that remember that name - and failed miserably) than give a guy more than 13 carries with a YPC over 10 in a game that you led all the way until the final moments of the fourth quarter

1 minute ago, Mr. Perfect said:

...I was referring to 2002 when Lapo was the OC here as well, and Khari was the quarterback, hence why I also mentioned Charles Roberts and Milt Stegall. 

Lapo is a guy that would rather give a carry to Andre Sadeghian with the game on the line (and he did for the folks that remember that name - and failed miserably) than give a guy more than 13 carries with a YPC over 10 in a game that you led all the way until the final moments of the fourth quarter

Yup...let's go back to 2002 so you can criticize him today. Guess you are exactly the same as you were in 2002!