Around The NHL 2018/2019

That's a lot of AAV. Wow. I'm loving it for 2019-20 and 2020-21 but it loses it luster after that. 

He's the captain and the leader. Much better decision to keep him (rather than paying Ladd) and not let it become a distraction. Let's hope his body holds up. 

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

I wonder if it has a No Trade clause?  I think the deal is a steal for the next few years... I'm unsure about the last few since he's getting up their in age and seems to gas himself throughout the season.

I'm assuming he gets a No Trade clause but I'm hoping it's a modified No Trade clause. Ten teams seems to be the norm. Let's hope it's not a full-No Trade clause. 

Just now, JCon said:

Per TSN1290... 

Full No Trade for first three years and modified for the last two. 

Makes sense.  Had it been a three year deal, I'd have been ecstatic but you give him the added two to make it happen.  Of course we worry about decline but he's coming off his best season so I think one can reasonably expect a high level player for the first 2 years of the deal and then decline begins.  But it gives the Jets options if they need to move on.

They need to free up money though.  Laine is going to get paid.  Morrissey still to come.

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Makes sense.  Had it been a three year deal, I'd have been ecstatic but you give him the added two to make it happen.  Of course we worry about decline but he's coming off his best season so I think one can reasonably expect a high level player for the first 2 years of the deal and then decline begins.  But it gives the Jets options if they need to move on.

They need to free up money though.  Laine is going to get paid.  Morrissey still to come.

And you still need to pay Trouba or his replacement.

Let's not forget those on entry level deals - Conner... Roslovic... Dano (just kidding)...

Just looking at Cap Friendly, they arent too bad.  Beginning next year they have $27 million in cap space, needing Morrissey, Trouba, Laine & Connor.  Wheeler increased by $2.6 million so its not that big of a deal.  They likely hope the cap goes up a bit (or a lockout brings everyone down).

And Myers.

Edited by The Unknown Poster

1 minute ago, Goalie said:

Perreault Myers for sure

True, Myers is off the books after this year. Still need to replace him but with a lower AAV player. 

Need to find a home for Perreault. If you haven't done it already, likely won't happen until the next off-season. 

4 minutes ago, bb1 said:

Idk he is what 33 this year? So he will be 38 and earning 8 million? We still have to sign Laine next year and KC. I know there is loyalty but this may come back to bite the Jets in the ass. They cannot afford to sign everyone.

He's 32 this year but will be 33 when this contract starts. 

And they're not signing everyone. I think this makes sense for this current team. You get a small window, where everything aligns, where you can run for the cup. Jets have the next two, maybe three years, to make their run. You have to keep Wheeler through that time and could not afford to lose him. 

I guess you underpay for the next three years (last year of current deal, then the first two of the new deal) and then just take your chances. 

I think they had to do, even if the term hurts them at the end. 

Yeah I saw people suggesting Wheeler would be moved but you cant get rid of everyone.  Its one thing if his best days were behind him but there is nothing to indicate he wont be a top line RW for the next 2-3 years.  He'd get more on the open market.  And in 4 years, that $8 million wont seem like a lot.  Its only $2.6 million raise so its not like they will be trading Laine to pay for it.

Kulikov and Myers both off the books after this season.

Happy to have Wheeler signed.  He is your Captain.  He has put up 78, 74 and 91 points in the last 3 years.    High end production.

Makes you wonder though if we come to regret that Little contract.  Hopefully he can turn it around this season, but last season was a bit of a disappointment.   Signing both these guys will cost us some of the younger talent coming in.

I wonder if this is a sign the Jets and Josh are closing in on a bridge deal rather than a long term deal.

Jets have $10 million in cap space this season (they will want some wiggle room for bonuses).  With Comrie and Josh being the ones left to sign.

Myers comes off the books next summer and Kulikov the year after.

Next summer they need new deals for Trouba, Laine & Connor as the key guys (Copp & Tanev are in that boat too but smaller contracts).

Roslo isnt due until 2020 when Kulikov comes off the books (and one year later, Buff & Perreault comes off.

I think its clear the Jets intent to spend to the cap while they have an open window to do so.

$10 million left this year certainly allows them to sign Josh long term.  $27 million next year allows them that signing, Laine & Connor. (and Trouba). But that assumes they dont sign Myers and if not, they need to replace him.  If they dont sign Myers, they NEED to sign Trouba or trade him for an equitable return.  specially with only two years left of Buff.

Then you've got Kulikov expiring in 2020.  Assuming Josh is tied up long term, you hope Niku can be a top 4 LHD.

But the Jets arent in cap trouble.  they need to be smart and manage their cap, but they arent in the position where they cant make key signings without trading a major piece.  They look pretty good.