Training Camp 2018

I got there today around 9:45 and stayed till the end. 

Our "starting" five receivers are fun to watch: Adams, Bowman, Dressler, Demski and Wolitarsky. That is a really solid group and Wolitarsky again looked good today. 

Surprise receiving star was Daniel Petermann. His speed was evident early on. He made four really nice catches, the last being in the scrimmage where he jumped up in the middle of the field to nab a high crossing throw. 

Of the new QBs, Ross was a real pleasant surprise. Streveler looks the part and I was expecting him to really shine but it was Ross who stood out more. Way more arm strength than I anticipated. Had some nice deep completions in the drills.

I was there today.

Receivers that stood out in a good way were Petermann, Coney, Corey Washington, Demski and Wolitarsky. Petermann was especially impressive for what I was expecting from him. Demski beat Fenner particularly cleanly on one play. Simonise was very underwhelming with a couple of bad drops. Bowman had a few drops as well, as one would expect. Dressler dropped one but otherwise looked to be shifty as usual. Donteea Dye was noticeable in the sense that he seemed to be the one having the most trouble with the waggle.

The QBs all looked more or less mediocre today. Nichols was the best of the lot, obviously but even he had a stretch in skelly where he had about five incompletions in a row. I was hoping that Streveler would blow me away and while he didn't, he still didn't look out of place. Mahoney is easily the weakest of the four.

On defense, Brian Walker was tremendous in coverage, as was Randle. None of the new guys stood out though Bingham made a few nice plays. No INTs today but both Walker and Thomas dropped what should have been picks.

First team D had Fenner at SAM and Gaitor in Heath's old spot. Steven Clarke was SAM on the second team.

51 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

I was there today.

Receivers that stood out in a good way were Petermann, Coney, Corey Washington, Demski and Wolitarsky. Petermann was especially impressive for what I was expecting from him. Demski beat Fenner particularly cleanly on one play. Simonise was very underwhelming with a couple of bad drops. Bowman had a few drops as well, as one would expect. Dressler dropped one but otherwise looked to be shifty as usual. Donteea Dye was noticeable in the sense that he seemed to be the one having the most trouble with the waggle.

The QBs all looked more or less mediocre today. Nichols was the best of the lot, obviously but even he had a stretch in skelly where he had about five incompletions in a row. I was hoping that Streveler would blow me away and while he didn't, he still didn't look out of place. Mahoney is easily the weakest of the four.

On defense, Brian Walker was tremendous in coverage, as was Randle. None of the new guys stood out though Bingham made a few nice plays. No INTs today but both Walker and Thomas dropped what should have been picks.

First team D had Fenner at SAM and Gaitor in Heath's old spot. Steven Clarke was SAM on the second team.

Looked like Craig Roh and Jackson Jeffcoat taking first team reps at rush end positions. No pads practice and therefore hard to say who will be ripping the head off Johnny Football later in the season.

1 hour ago, AKAChip said:

The wider CFL field means rookie INT QBs need to adjust their pass lanes. That means un-learning some habits. That can take a bit of time and Ross's experience from last year gives him the edge there. And then you've got receivers sometimes running wobbly routes. I noticed Streveler tossed a floater or two to the wide side of the field - those would have been picks if it wasn't the first day of camp. All 3 backup QBs have good arm strength though, Streveler was running the reps quickly and he was able to run a couple of plays that look like they could be deeper than just your vanilla Day 1 stuff from the playbook.

Edited by Doublezero

3 hours ago, Doublezero said:

The wider CFL field means rookie INT QBs need to adjust their pass lanes. That means un-learning some habits. That can take a bit of time and Ross's experience from last year gives him the edge there. And then you've got receivers sometimes running wobbly routes. I noticed Streveler tossed a floater or two to the wide side of the field - those would have been picks if it wasn't the first day of camp. All 3 backup QBs have good arm strength though, Streveler was running the reps quickly and he was able to run a couple of plays that look like they could be deeper than just your vanilla Day 1 stuff from the playbook.

If memory serves, Streveler runs like a scared rabbit, too.

2 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Peterman is fast and a pretty smooth route runner. Was able to get open easily even against Fenner. Was really surprised by him.

Simonise looked off at the start of the day but seemed to improve as the practice went on. Can see why he is there though. Hopefully he can put it all together.

according to all reports the track was really slow for testing. petermann at the nfl combine probably would have clocked a high 4.3 40. In past years it would have been a major windfall having any of wolitarski (i know we had him around last year but not at 100%) petermann and simonise. We spent a good bit of development time and draft picks on trying to get talent and athleticism like this. This is easily the best group of NI wrs weve had in my life. + demski is just 25 and if coates is able to get back its an embarrassment of wealth at wr. 

3 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

according to all reports the track was really slow for testing. petermann at the nfl combine probably would have clocked a high 4.3 40. In past years it would have been a major windfall having any of wolitarski (i know we had him around last year but not at 100%) petermann and simonise. We spent a good bit of development time and draft picks on trying to get talent and athleticism like this. This is easily the best group of NI wrs weve had in my life. + demski is just 25 and if coates is able to get back its an embarrassment of wealth at wr. 

clearly you weren't alive when Joe Pop and Rick House were around...but yeah, I hear what you are saying, we've got a good group, finally.  Looking for big things from Woli - he could be the next Joe Pop with a name like that! :)

18 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

clearly you weren't alive when Joe Pop and Rick House were around...but yeah, I hear what you are saying, we've got a good group, finally.  Looking for big things from Woli - he could be the next Joe Pop with a name like that! :)

i was, but while that top tier of guys is no doubt better the depth we have now is un paralleled for this franchise. 

😁 Yeah its un real. For soo long mlber and ni wr/sb has been a real weak spot for us. Now we are relatively stacked.  

Edited by wbbfan

16 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Bighill mostly played WILL in BC so it's not surprising that they'd consider him there.  The plan could be JSK at middle and Bighill on the weak side and I wouldn't have any issue with that.  I don't see Wild playing MLB again, though.

except we don't have Elimimian. 

or.... "Bighill began the 2012 CFL season by replacing Solomon Elimimian at middle linebacker for the Lions, after Elimimian was signed by the Minnesota Vikings.[3] After assuming the starting linebacker role, Bighill went on to amass 104 tackles (2nd most in the CFL) and 4 interceptions. Elimimian returned to the Lions midway through the season, but Bighill retained all of the playing time. He was named both a CFL West All-Star and a CFL All-Star for the 2012 season."

Edited by Mark F

28 minutes ago, Mark F said:

except we don't have Elimimian. 

or.... "Bighill began the 2012 CFL season by replacing Solomon Elimimian at middle linebacker for the Lions, after Elimimian was signed by the Minnesota Vikings.[3] After assuming the starting linebacker role, Bighill went on to amass 104 tackles (2nd most in the CFL) and 4 interceptions. Elimimian returned to the Lions midway through the season, but Bighill retained all of the playing time. He was named both a CFL West All-Star and a CFL All-Star for the 2012 season."

That was six years ago.

18 hours ago, Atomic said:

That was six years ago.

Eliminian missed 26 games during bighills time in bc. His role changed with systems, as in part mos refereed to today in the presser. He played at time essentially a second shallow saftey over the top of elimimian. He played mid wil was used in a jack roll for a stretch etc.

Bighill easy has the speed and strength to excel in any deployment you can ask of him at wil or mac. Jsk we know as a rookie played well at wil. Im a fan of his, but it isnt nearly the first time weve seen a strong debut season at wil that tapers off drastically the next year. We dont really gain any thing if we force jsk to learn mlber adjust and try to continue improving as a second year guy. 

I think wild will DI and play teams with some package stuff. Though if he is cut in the name of salary cap savings I wont be surprised. 

Edited by wbbfan