Around The League: 2018 Offseason

Zontar

Three of five O-linemen aging out of their jobs cannot be very reassuring for a QB- Dyakowski  and Clark were barely good enough last year and Labatte is almost there as well. Sask's receivers are darned good, but if Collaros has come down with a case of the yips, the odds are against him. Their defence will probably be OK, so overall I would bet on a .500 season for the Greenies. None of it will be Jones' fault, of course.

5 hours ago, Booch said:

I think you will see more of the same with Collaros in Sask. Over on Ridefans they are all excited to see him perform behind their O-LINE...not sure what they are smoking but that is a bottom tier O-line..Clark and Dyakowski are weak and regressing...and I'd say Labatte is now too..there right tackle is probably the 7th ..maybe 6th best in the league and Dennis is going to have to take a paycut..or he will be gone as he isn't worth the cap hit. The Left  Tackle Campbell is a good one, but I bet he bolts out east. 

He will be running and ducking for his life again, and we all seen how putrid he is when he cant sit in the pocket. plus he is going to take a n=big chunk out of their salary cap even if he renegotiates and I sure Bridge signed for significant more than he was getting last year, so they are going to have to subtract skill elsewhere. Their receiver core isn't that great either..Roosevelt is good, but he could be one good smack away from concussion issues again..Grant had an aberration of a year and highly doubt does it again..and the rest of the supporting cast is nothing better than anywhere else really....most likely they loose Demski too...so their Canadian receivers are weak as well.  Don't see any big offensive numbers coming from there...a lot of what they did last year was smoke and mirrors and  one lucky hot spurt where 2 teams took em too lightly

I detect just a touch of bias there - good sir.  Personally, I think the Riders’ O is better than that, and it’s premature to make predictions based on possible concussions and who may or may not resign. But you are indeed telling us what we love to hear...

5 hours ago, Mark H. said:

I detect just a touch of bias there - good sir.  Personally, I think the Riders’ O is better than that, and it’s premature to make predictions based on possible concussions and who may or may not resign. But you are indeed telling us what we love to hear...

I'd question Booch's rating of the Riders receiving corps. I'd love to have their receivers as they are better than ours. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

11 hours ago, Mark H. said:

6 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I'd question Booch's rating of the Riders receiving corps. I'd love to have their receivers as they are better than ours. 

Not really...don't see all the hype.

their corp was ranked 10,11,12 and 29th in the league and thats with one guy (Grant) with an aberration of a year and 2 of their top guys playing 18 and 17 games so games lost from injury can't be factored in.

Sure they used Carter as a DB which was stupid and he lost reps but still if he played wouldn't have cracked the top 5 in the league. This as well for the majority of the season they having/using no run game whatsoever and were very pass happy so you'd think they would have multiple guys in the top 10 if they were so elite and great. Heck Hamilton had 2 in the top 6 and 3 in the top 14...should they not be more elite???

Stats don't tell the whole story of a player or team and their worth but I don't see what the tire pumping is for.  Assumptions can be made as well for concussions as once you have received several in a short time period (as Roosevelt had last year) you become more prone to it and you can be assured guys are going to do their best to lay good licks on him all year...not head shots per say...but good thumps none the less.

As for Canadian recievers what do they have worthy of spit there really??...Bagg is on the descent to see ya later town..Doubt Demski is back there, but even if he is has really proven nothing as of yet other than a decent start to 2017. I actually really like Marshall and he brings a lot but I'm sure he will get screwed out of a spot there for Thigpen and Richardson...if he comes back which i have my doubts but none the less nothing that screams elite and proven

Their o-line as it is if all come back (Campbell/labatte/clarke/dyakowski/coleman) Dennis if he is back is probably in the bottom 3 in the league and not trending upward.

14 hours ago, DR. CFL said:

TSN reporting AC taking a year off coaching. Guessing he doesn’t want his butt attached to that gong show this year.  Call me when the dust clears and the house has been swept clean.

It seems more likely he’s taking the year off because the Als weren’t going to be bringing him back. He hasn’t really shown anything as a coach.

And it’s official:

Just now, kelownabomberfan said:

If Glenn signs with Edmonton I believe that he completes the set and will have played for every team in the league, or at least been a member of every team.  That has to be a league record, that I don't think will be broken in any of our lifetimes.

Here's the thing.....I am fully on board with the belief that Davis hasn't really lived up to expectation as a developmental 3rd stringer. The Fever wasn't supposed to be a project...he was just a guy to run short yardage and be "veteran" help, if needed. I could be convinced that we get rid of either or both.....but I *REALLY* appreciated what The Fever did in his short yardage stuff last year, and would hate to **** that up. We were basically automatic every time. If we bring in Glenn or Durant, they're not doing that. If we bring in another developmental kid at #3, can he run the Jumbo/Wildcat stuff as well as The Fever did? Does it matter as much as I think it does?

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Here's the thing.....I am fully on board with the belief that Davis hasn't really lived up to expectation as a developmental 3rd stringer. The Fever wasn't supposed to be a project...he was just a guy to run short yardage and be "veteran" help, if needed. I could be convinced that we get rid of either or both.....but I *REALLY* appreciated what The Fever did in his short yardage stuff last year, and would hate to **** that up. We were basically automatic every time. If we bring in Glenn or Durant, they're not doing that. If we bring in another developmental kid at #3, can he run the Jumbo/Wildcat stuff as well as The Fever did? Does it matter as much as I think it does?

Nope.

1 minute ago, Goalie said:

Doubt it. I think the rumor is if he retires he will go to Edmonton to be a coach. Dude aint going from winning a cup to backup. 

Maybe, but being a backup QB/QB Coach for a year could be under consideration as well. The salary of a backup QB is more than that of a positional coach, especially since he'll likely be Edmonton's emergency QB should  anything happen to Reilly regardless.

Just now, iHeart said:

would like to see him back here but wouldn't be surprises if he goes to Edmonton since well that's the only team he hasn't been on (unless Halifax does get a CFL team in the future)

Glenn will be hella old by the time Halifax gets a team. Thats years... Years .. Years away

20 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

Anyone with any degree of common sense knew this was going to happen.