Around The League: 2018 Offseason

Zontar

On 12/30/2017 at 12:21 PM, Noeller said:

https://twitter.com/lucmull95/status/946890911945932801

I'm not good at inserting tweets and I'm on my phone so I can't insert pics but I'm begging MBB to look at this tweet from Luc Mullinder and treat it it with all the respect it deserves......... 

Definitive proof CTE is a real thing.

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

To be fair, it was only the In Mack We Trust crowd... so...

I remember when he signed with Edmonton more than one person here said they were glad Mack didn't trade for him as he was going to be a bust. The Mack apologists were out in full force. latest?cb=20130423021659

Edited by SpeedFlex27

On 31/12/2017 at 6:18 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

They have to want to & so far the Irvings haven't shown any interest in owning a CFL team. Neither have the McCains. 

The Sobeys family could swing that too if they had an inclination. I think all these families are all about making money not putting it into something that gets used 10 times a year. 

2 hours ago, Fan Boy said:

The Sobeys family could swing that too if they had an inclination. I think all these families are all about making money not putting it into something that gets used 10 times a year. 

Done properly, it could be profitable, not to mention the PR boost.

3 hours ago, Fan Boy said:

That's the problem with the Maritimes. A lack of population as well as a lack of wealthy people to really make sure a CFL team is well financed from the start. Not enough of these individuals or families want to do this.  A city the size of Halifax should have a 25,000 seat stadium already but the politicians & business community don't seem interested in getting it done. It'll be decades before anything is built (if ever) in Halifax. We'd all like to see a team there but it won't be happening soon. They'd have a better chance in SW Ontario like London or Kitchener. Or in Quebec City. At least the population is already there.

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

That's the problem with the Maritimes. A lack of population as well as a lack of wealthy people to really make sure a CFL team is well financed from the start. Not enough of these individuals or families want to do this.  A city the size of Halifax should have a 25,000 seat stadium already but the politicians & business community don't seem interested in getting it done. It'll be decades before anything is built (if ever) in Halifax. We'd all like to see a team there but it won't be happening soon. They'd have a better chance in SW Ontario like London or Kitchener. Or in Quebec City. At least the population is already there.

Why would Halifax have already built a 25,000 seat stadium?  For what purpose?  You don't build stadiums on spec.   If there's a real desire to have the CFL in Halifax, a stadium is only 3 years or so away. 

The reverberations, planetary disruptions,  and earth shattering ripples in the space time continuum that would be caused  by Saskatoon getting a CFL team would probably cause the disintegration of the Province, the engulfing of Saskathewan by a giant mud whirlpools, followed quickly by the collapse of Canada, and descent into darkness.

Also, world war 3, and Klingon invasion.

1 hour ago, WBBFanWest said:

Why would Halifax have already built a 25,000 seat stadium?  For what purpose?  You don't build stadiums on spec.   If there's a real desire to have the CFL in Halifax, a stadium is only 3 years or so away. 

Halifax is a famous city because of 2 World Wars but is it a world class city? Are pro leagues lining up to put a team in there? Nope for both. Lack of facilities. Lack of money. Lack of population. They could have had a CFL team in 1978 but people don't seem to care. Same issue 40 years ago as today. That is, no stadium & no real desire to build one. All Halifax & the Maritimes are known for when it comes to pro sports is a slew of failed AHL teams. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 hour ago, WBBFanWest said:

You said it. The word "desire". I don't think there is any. 

There would be some logistical challenges with Halifax. 

There are no direct flights from Halifax to BC but if they could charter a plane it is still a seven hour flight.

If Halifax is playing BC at home at 7 pm, in Vancouver it will be 3 pm.  Likewise if Halifax plays at 7 pm in BC, it will be 11 pm back home.  Bad for the fans and bad for the players who basically have to play in the middle of the night.  It's not just a coincidence that the Eastern teams have always struggled in BC... even when Montreal was good.

Obviously Halifax would only deal with the BC issue twice a year but the problem would still be there for the other Western teams, just to a lesser extent.

Is there enough real interest in Halifax?  Is there anyone that will own the team and support it and not abandon it at the first sign of trouble?  Is it really worth it to expand to Halifax just for sentimental reasons?