Around The League: 2018 Offseason

Zontar

Khari looked real real good when he had Lulay as his QB.

The way their wheels fell off after they lost him makes me think that his non-rehiring was more of a chicken salad situation.

Anyway, just a couple weeks ago there were rumors that Gary Crowton was in the running for an Als job.  They've done a real nice job not have Crowton around.

Khalil Carter has a pedigree, his DBs looked real good in Calgary that past few years. Can't be easy to have a greybeard like Stubler hanging around the org like your girlfriend's best dude friend ... knowing your replacement is right there if someone above you panics.

Edited by johnzo

14 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Is it?  I was going to say it's a nice mix of youth and experience.  It was important that Mike Sherman bring in CFL guys and he's done that.

I guess we'll see but I see an entire staff with very little experience - Khari might be a pleasant surprise

Stubler's D totally relies on his linebackers - esp WIL and SAM...  hope Mack has something up his sleeve besides a maitai

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

wow!

@jeffkhamilton
Jeff Hamilton 
The #AlsMTL offered the OC job to #Bombers quarterbacks coach Buck Pierce but he turned it down to stay with Winnipeg, according to sources close to the hiring process. #wfp

Smart move by Buck.....boarding that ship headed for the rocks is akin to sinking your career and setting it back years...Pierce is very happy at home and I'm sure has his eye on future changes here...Good move Buck.

8 minutes ago, Noeller said:

wow!

@jeffkhamilton
Jeff Hamilton 
The #AlsMTL offered the OC job to #Bombers quarterbacks coach Buck Pierce but he turned it down to stay with Winnipeg, according to sources close to the hiring process. #wfp

wow.  good on Buck, I'm impressed.   though, learning the coaching ropes from some quality guys like Lapo and O'shea doesn't hurt either. 

7 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

wow.  good on Buck, I'm impressed.   though, learning the coaching ropes from some quality guys like Lapo and O'shea doesn't hurt either. 

He has to look at the situation in Winnipeg and sees more potential here.

If the Bombers repeat their successful season, Lapo will likely get an offer to be a HC again. That, will leave the OC job open, with a much better opportunity and some stability.

Collaros was probably the best QB in the league until he blew ACL. Since then he lost money receivers like Sinkfield and then Tolliver to injury and lost his favourite OC and saddled with a neophyte then lost his number one defender in Austin. Defense got significantly worse over time too which factors into his losses.

I loved Collaros. Sad to see him go. But its June Jones team now and he sees Masoli as a better fit both system wise and obviously financially.

His salary handcuffed the team that has to get better and thats the reality of it.

8 minutes ago, JCon said:

He has to look at the situation in Winnipeg and sees more potential here.

If the Bombers repeat their successful season, Lapo will likely get an offer to be a HC again. That, will leave the OC job open, with a much better opportunity and some stability.

Very good call.  He would be then in an offense where he is very familiar, with players he knows.. I like what you're throwin' down here.

40 minutes ago, Noeller said:

wow!

@jeffkhamilton
Jeff Hamilton 

As much as I like Buck....   I'm not sure if he's OC ready just yet?   

I think you will see more of the same with Collaros in Sask. Over on Ridefans they are all excited to see him perform behind their O-LINE...not sure what they are smoking but that is a bottom tier O-line..Clark and Dyakowski are weak and regressing...and I'd say Labatte is now too..there right tackle is probably the 7th ..maybe 6th best in the league and Dennis is going to have to take a paycut..or he will be gone as he isn't worth the cap hit. The Left  Tackle Campbell is a good one, but I bet he bolts out east. 

He will be running and ducking for his life again, and we all seen how putrid he is when he cant sit in the pocket. plus he is going to take a n=big chunk out of their salary cap even if he renegotiates and I sure Bridge signed for significant more than he was getting last year, so they are going to have to subtract skill elsewhere. Their receiver core isn't that great either..Roosevelt is good, but he could be one good smack away from concussion issues again..Grant had an aberration of a year and highly doubt does it again..and the rest of the supporting cast is nothing better than anywhere else really....most likely they loose Demski too...so their Canadian receivers are weak as well.  Don't see any big offensive numbers coming from there...a lot of what they did last year was smoke and mirrors and  one lucky hot spurt where 2 teams took em too lightly

48 minutes ago, Noeller said:

wow!

@jeffkhamilton
Jeff Hamilton 

Buck's wife is also from Winnipeg.  I'm sure the home town discount as well as wanting to remain in a more stable organization played into the decision.

8 minutes ago, Brandon said:

He has spent 2 years as the running backs coach and now 2 years as the QB coach.  How long does someone need as a positional coach before they are ready?

20 minutes ago, Brandon said:

He has been learning from the best but I agree, another season or 2 with more responsibilities with being the big headset on his shoulders with lapo shadowing would be beneficial.

12 minutes ago, Booch said:

I think you will see more of the same with Collaros in Sask. Over on Ridefans they are all excited to see him perform behind their O-LINE...not sure what they are smoking but that is a bottom tier O-line..Clark and Dyakowski are weak and regressing...and I'd say Labatte is now too..there right tackle is probably the 7th ..maybe 6th best in the league and Dennis is going to have to take a paycut..or he will be gone as he isn't worth the cap hit. The Left  Tackle Campbell is a good one, but I bet he bolts out east. 

He will be running and ducking for his life again, and we all seen how putrid he is when he cant sit in the pocket. plus he is going to take a n=big chunk out of their salary cap even if he renegotiates and I sure Bridge signed for significant more than he was getting last year, so they are going to have to subtract skill elsewhere. Their receiver core isn't that great either..Roosevelt is good, but he could be one good smack away from concussion issues again..Grant had an aberration of a year and highly doubt does it again..and the rest of the supporting cast is nothing better than anywhere else really....most likely they loose Demski too...so their Canadian receivers are weak as well.  Don't see any big offensive numbers coming from there...a lot of what they did last year was smoke and mirrors and  one lucky hot spurt where 2 teams took em too lightly

While I do agree with the assessment of Sask's offense, I do think that Collaros will show some gumption and look good for a few games... then promptly be hurt again.   I think he may be heading to Buck Pierce territory. 

10 minutes ago, Rich said:

Buck's wife is also from Winnipeg.  I'm sure the home town discount as well as wanting to remain in a more stable organization played into the decision.

He has spent 2 years as the running backs coach and now 2 years as the QB coach.  How long does someone need as a positional coach before they are ready?

yup I agree but I still think he could use a little bit of seasoning..  another season or 2 and he should be able to take that next step imo.

Collaros is still living on potential.  Has never started more than 13 games in a season in his career.  He's living on "project that over 18 games."  He's turning 30 this year.  He's lost 13 straight starts with a team that played like a playoff team with Masoli starting.  There's no elite QB with a run like that in his shorts, not even a guy like Calvillo who faced some pretty lean years early. 

My expectations would not be very high.  Honestly can't believe Hamilton dumped his contact for the 10th overall pick.  Basically traded for the the right to negotiate a paycut with Collaros.  What if Collaros balks?