CFLPA All-Star Team

Jacquie

I think Walters just can't find an effective MLB the same way he can't find any receivers.

Every offseason he seems to focus on rebuilding a couple areas (and generally does a pretty good job). Gotta think the focus this year is on receiver and MLB.

Edited by Judd

14 minutes ago, Judd said:

I think Walters just can't find an effective MLB the same way he can't find any receivers.

Every offseason he seems to focus on rebuilding a couple areas (and generally does a pretty good job). Gotta think the focus this year is on receiver and MLB.

Wonder if Calgary drops one of McDaniel or Jorden considering they may not like each other anymore.  I wouldn't take McDaniel though...and I don't think O'Shea would want him either.

18 minutes ago, Judd said:

It is pretty baffling we struggle so hard to find guys at these spots as there should be a plethora of them kicking around I would think.. do we have guys on the neg list that are just burning up all the time they can in the NFL or do we just stink  that much at scouting/enticing people to come down?

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

I honestly think they were ready to move on from Hurl last year and try out Knox as the MLB, for whatever reason didn't have the ability to find a reliable back up, or another starting CND and brought hurl back in. Fully believe they settled for him and he wasn't what they planned to go with until late.

Yes the fact that the GM and scouting staff were so high on Knox, who basically ended up being a bust, is concerning.  Even if he was a stud, there should have been more competition brought in.  That was disappointing.

1 hour ago, Judd said:

Tough to find players when you don't actually scout anybody and just rely on whoever shows up to your open camps.

7 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Yes the fact that the GM and scouting staff were so high on Knox, who basically ended up being a bust, is concerning.  Even if he was a stud, there should have been more competition brought in.  That was disappointing.

I'm not sure I'd call Knox a bust, I think it was a combo of his lack of understanding the D and needing another CND starter. I'm rooting for Knox to have a break out year next year. That guy can bring the lumber!!!!!

4 hours ago, Floyd said:

Hurl was a Richie Hall project... but Kuale was an Oshea project...  hopefully this is done.

With a real MLB this team really can go all the way

If O'Shea thought that Kuale was the answer at MLB when pretty much everyone on this forum (and his/her dog/cat) knew better, that says something about O'Shea's judgement. 

3 hours ago, Atomic said:

knox was excellent on teams. 

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

Knox *may* have been a bust at MACK, but he's turned into a quality special teamer and can play outside LB....and who knows, maybe in year 2 he shows better in the MACK spot in TC...?

^ nailed it. 

1 minute ago, tracker said:

We do not have the luxury of or the roster room to keep an import who does not have what it takes to be a starter so that he can be a career special teamer. If he has hit a low ceiling, time for him to be gone.

Yes we do. they are called designated imports. Also it was his first full season, and he didnt get a ton of chances before JSK stepped in. Also, hes small for MLB even by cfl standards. 

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Yes we do. they are called designated imports. Also it was his first full season, and he didnt get a ton of chances before JSK stepped in. Also, hes small for MLB even by cfl standards. 

Knox was not brought in to be a special teams player, and he looks to have hit his potential and we need to find someone better who can push to be a starter.

23 minutes ago, tracker said:

Knox was not brought in to be a special teams player, and he looks to have hit his potential and we need to find someone better who can push to be a starter.

He was brought in because they thought he had a chance to play and have an impact. Which he has, on teams. It takes guys different lengths of time to find their groove. Look at ogopogo this year. 

You guys aren't making any sense. What good is it having a player's coach if the players that are lining up to play here at positions like MLB and receiver are no good or are just good on special teams? If that's true then it's not the advantage it's being made out to be. Let's quit gushing about O'Shea and figure out why the players we have here haven't won a Grey Cup or a playoff game in four years. There's obviously something else going on. 

3 minutes ago, J5V said:

You guys aren't making any sense. What good is it having a player's coach if the players that are lining up to play here at positions like MLB and receiver are no good or are just good on special teams? If that's true then it's not the advantage it's being made out to be. Let's quit gushing about O'Shea and figure out why the players we have here haven't won a Grey Cup or a playoff game in four years. There's obviously something else going on. 

Because those aren't the only players 'lining up to play here', and it improves our odds of retaining worthwhile players when their typically 1 or 2 year contracts expire?

3 minutes ago, J5V said:

Yes, there is, and it goes beyond the last four years. This is a team that did not draft well (or not at all) for a long time and did not have a stable of young Canadian players in place.  Our best Nationals (Westerman, Harris) were acquired via free agency and we don't have enough good National OL.

That's why this team has taken longer to get on right track - the cupboard was bare when they started. Bottom line: in the CFL you need a QB and then you need quality Canadian players. 

I don't believe even Solly would look all that great playing MLB in Hall's system when a big part of the role is wrestling with O-lineman and plugging gaps.  It's high time they moved on from this scheme and choose from the abundance of players that can play MLB in the traditional sense.  I'm a bit worried that they are going to go through some statistical analysis of the MLB position in the next few weeks and come to the conclusion that it worked as planned and will serve up the same look next season to justify their approach.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

14 hours ago, J5V said:

Whats going on is we have won 23 games and lost 13 in the 2 seasons and got into the playoffs both times.  We secured a home playoff game this year.  We are trending upwards.  we have players actively discussing that they want to sign here  because of our coaching staff..   I really don't know what else we would want beyond a grey cup but EVERYONE wants to win the grey cup..

we have waited longer then any other fan base, no doubt but we also haven't seen success like this in a very long time.  If it ain't broke... (and I believe I'm in the majority when I say it ain't broke..)

13 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I don't believe even Solly would look all that great playing MLB in Hall's system when a big part of the role is wrestling with O-lineman and plugging gaps.  It's high time they moved on from this scheme and choose from the abundance of players that can play MLB in the traditional sense.  I'm a bit worried that they are going to go through some statistical analysis of the MLB position in the next few weeks and come to the conclusion that it worked as planned and will serve up the same look next season to justify their approach.

You're assuming we would play with this system if we had a player like Solly, which I think is a pretty big leap.