When do we fire Richie Hall?

BigBlue

When do we show Hall the door?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. When do we show Hall the door?

• Immediately and decisively; before Grey cup week
    • Immediately after the Grey cup; thoughtfully
    • Before Christmas - - let's not torture the man
    • In January before the free agent deadline in February; let's make sure we can find somebody better first
    • Later in the spring when we are sure we have found somebody who will accept the job
    • No, let's re up him to another 3 year contract with a big bonus
    • Other: no swearwords please

13 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

There was talent on defense. So much so that we never should have been hemmoraging  thru the air & on the ground the way we did last season. Never should have started Hurl. Never should have substituted the way we did. This disaster of a defense is all on Hall & yet here we sit a full month after the season ended &  doing nothing while other teams make changes. Other teams have made coaching moves yet typically we still sit. The one big criticism I have of Walters & O'Shea is just how slowly they react to changes. If they can't figure it out by now then something is wrong.

You, and others, keep saying that Walters and O'Shea are doing nothing... how do you know that?  Just because they don't publicly state every single thing that they are doing doesn't mean that they are doing nothing, and unless you are in their offices with them, you have no clue what's going on over there.

The Thorpe hiring in Ottawa is another prime example of this.  Many people said we "missed out" and "didn't act fast enough", but nobody actually knows that.  Walters could have been negotiating with Thorpe, and Ottawa may have just made a better offer.  And before anyone says anything about Winnipeg being too cheap and that's why we can't get "the best talent", there are other factors that a coach would consider, including the level of responsibility that they would be given, as well as the relationship that they have with other coaches on staff and/or players on the existing roster.

1 hour ago, Sard said:

You, and others, keep saying that Walters and O'Shea are doing nothing... how do you know that?  Just because they don't publicly state every single thing that they are doing doesn't mean that they are doing nothing, and unless you are in their offices with them, you have no clue what's going on over there.

The Thorpe hiring in Ottawa is another prime example of this.  Many people said we "missed out" and "didn't act fast enough", but nobody actually knows that.  Walters could have been negotiating with Thorpe, and Ottawa may have just made a better offer.  And before anyone says anything about Winnipeg being too cheap and that's why we can't get "the best talent", there are other factors that a coach would consider, including the level of responsibility that they would be given, as well as the relationship that they have with other coaches on staff and/or players on the existing roster.

Exactly, well said.  nobody knows whats happening behind the scenes.  everyone is too busy running around, acting like the sky is falling because someone signed a DC, someone who had ample time to get ready for said signing, seeing as they were not in the playoffs..

patience is a virtue.

1 hour ago, Booch said:

I'm glad we "missed" out on Thorpe actually

just another reason as to why I'm in the same boat.  If someone with your backround was leery of him coming aboard,  makes me a bit more content in knowing we didn't land him.

29 minutes ago, tracker said:

I am becoming concerned that the longer resolution is delayed, the higher the likelihood Hall will be retained. That would be a giant FU to the fans.

oh, I didn't realize you speak for the whole of the fan base.   Fans being so demanding and expecting changes... isn't that a bit of an FU to the bombers? you know, the team that just had a home playoff game, 12-6 record, etc etc?

1 hour ago, tracker said:

I am becoming concerned that the longer resolution is delayed, the higher the likelihood Hall will be retained. That would be a giant FU to the fans.

Yeah for sure but that's more Miller's concern than Walters and O'Shea's. The fans aren't paid to run the team and the people that are need to do what they think is best. As long as we're winning we'll be fine. Start losing and giving up big yardage and there'll be trouble. 

4 hours ago, SPuDS said:

Exactly, well said.  nobody knows whats happening behind the scenes.  everyone is too busy running around, acting like the sky is falling because someone signed a DC, someone who had ample time to get ready for said signing, seeing as they were not in the playoffs..

patience is a virtue.

just another reason as to why I'm in the same boat.  If someone with your backround was leery of him coming aboard,  makes me a bit more content in knowing we didn't land him.

oh, I didn't realize you speak for the whole of the fan base.   Fans being so demanding and expecting changes... isn't that a bit of an FU to the bombers? you know, the team that just had a home playoff game, 12-6 record, etc etc?

I didn't realize that Hall was so highly thought of or the best DC the Bombers could find. The Bombers still haven't won a playoff game under this regime when other clubs have rebuilt and made the playoffs. Moreover, some of the core problems that cost us the playoff wins are still unresolved.  This is good enough for you?

33 minutes ago, tracker said:

I didn't realize that Hall was so highly thought of or the best DC the Bombers could find. The Bombers still haven't won a playoff game under this regime when other clubs have rebuilt and made the playoffs. Moreover, some of the core problems that cost us the playoff wins are still unresolved.  This is good enough for you?

where in any of my posts did I proclaim Hall to be highly thought of (even tho, yes he has a pretty decent track record in the CFL.. not amazing but pretty solid) or that he is the best we could find? I'm saying you guys are lambasting an organization that while fell short of our goal, did accomplish some pretty good things this season.    We haven't had the virtue of 3 weeks to decide what we want to do.   again, exit interviews, final thoughts, decisions etc etc leading into the off-season need to be done BEFORE you fire someone..  maybe those are still going, maybe they are done and they have been offering contracts.. nobody knows but I guess it IS much more fun to sit here and be hyper-critical about a process none of us knows about, right?

2 hours ago, SPuDS said:

ywhere in any of my posts did I proclaim Hall to be highly thought of (even tho, yes he has a pretty decent track record in the CFL.. not amazing but pretty solid) or that he is the best we could find? I'm saying you guys are lambasting an organization that while fell short of our goal, did accomplish some pretty good things this season.    We haven't had the virtue of 3 weeks to decide what we want to do.   again, exit interviews, final thoughts, decisions etc etc leading into the off-season need to be done BEFORE you fire someone..  maybe those are still going, maybe they are done and they have been offering contracts.. nobody knows but I guess it IS much more fun to sit here and be hyper-critical about a process none of us knows about, right?

If O'Shea hasn't had enough experience with Hall's defence by now to make an informed decision, then I question his judgement. I do not believe that, post-season you cannot fire an underperforming coach until you can find someone else. (ref: Ottawa Redblacks)We do not know of all the nuances about the decision-making process, but I would think that if you went into a restaurant and were served a poor meal, you would not want to know what kind of a day the chef or servers had, or what kind of credentials they had. You would simply send the meal back an/or register a complaint with the management. You don't have to be a chicken to detect a rotten egg.

Edited by tracker

1 hour ago, WBBFanWest said:

Guys that don't have the ego of a 15 year old?  Because paycheque > no paycheque. 

Didn't realize the stipulation here is that Nelson accept a role with the REDBLACKS or goes unemployed.  Oh right, because it's not.  I'm sure he could find a role with several other teams in the league if he were so inclined.

59 minutes ago, Noeller said:

also, how do we know he was demoted? Maybe he asked to step back for whatever reason? 

Lol yeah maybe :rolleyes: 

15 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Didn't realize the stipulation here is that Nelson accept a role with the REDBLACKS or goes unemployed.  Oh right, because it's not.  I'm sure he could find a role with several other teams in the league if he were so inclined.

Lol yeah maybe :rolleyes: 

"I'm sure he could find a role" = maybe he already did, with Ottawa.  Not everyone has an ego that demands that they be "top dog" and nothing else.  As you get older, you often start to realize that taking a lesser role doesn't make you a lesser person.

1 minute ago, WBBFanWest said:

"I'm sure he could find a role" = maybe he already did, with Ottawa.  Not everyone has an ego that demands that they be "top dog" and nothing else.  As you get older, you often start to realize that taking a lesser role doesn't make you a lesser person.

Sure whatever helps you sleep at night.

12 hours ago, Sard said:

"Doing something" would have been firing Hall after the season ended. That would have meant Walters & O'Shea would have been proactive. They'd be forced to find a replacement. I think they actually can't decide whether to keep or fire Hall.

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

"Doing something" would have been firing Hall after the season ended. That would have meant Walters & O'Shea would have been proactive. They'd be forced to find a replacement. I think they actually can't decide whether to keep or fire Hall.

I believe there would have been a valid point to be made by canning Hall as soon as the season was over- that underperforming was going to have consequences. Loyalty has its limits and Dave Richie learned that. If that decision is not solely O'Shea's, then something is wrong.