When do we fire Richie Hall?

BigBlue

When do we show Hall the door?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. When do we show Hall the door?

• Immediately and decisively; before Grey cup week
    • Immediately after the Grey cup; thoughtfully
    • Before Christmas - - let's not torture the man
    • In January before the free agent deadline in February; let's make sure we can find somebody better first
    • Later in the spring when we are sure we have found somebody who will accept the job
    • No, let's re up him to another 3 year contract with a big bonus
    • Other: no swearwords please

An obvious candidate to replace either/or Walters and O'Shea if things do not work out would be Tom Clements.  Similar to Hufnagel, Clements has an extensive back ground in the NFL going back decades - Quarterback coach, Offensive Coordinator and Assistant Head Coach.  As GM and/or coach Clements could leverage his extensive relationship with the NFL and college teams to recruit the best players just like Hufnagel.  He is older so that might be an issue but he is no longer employed by Green Bay.  If he is looking for work and things do not progress here on the field over the next 12 months, Winnipeg should present a serious offer. 

7 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

The only choice?  No, but it was the choice that was made, FOUR YEARS AGO.  So if you are still whining about this after this long, the issue is not who they hired, it's about who's looking back at you in the mirror.

So you begrudgingly admit it wasn't the only choice to be made. Great! Little steps. 

7 hours ago, SPuDS said:

to cost restraints and availability) doesn't make it truth.   from all indications, we DID try to land some "big name" coaches and GMs  when we were doing the hiring.. and were unable to do so, obviously.    It wasn't due to a lack of wanting or trying like you seem to want to force everyone here to believe..

Okay then, what are these indications and who? Who are these coaches we tried to bring in here because it looks to me like Mr. Miller just walked across the hall to the assistant GMs office and asked Kyle the assistant if he wanted the job. Then, instead of searching for the best possible candidate for a head coach it looks like Kyle just called up his buddy O'Shea and said "Hey Mike, you won't believe this, but I'm now the GM of the Bombers. Yeah, no ****. So, like, do you wanna be the head coach? C'mon, it'll be a blast! These guys are so desperate they'll take anyone!" So tell me, Spuds, how did it really go down? Tell me about the extensive interview process and all the candidates we went through. I'd love to hear about it.

7 hours ago, SPuDS said:

You do realize we have ALL been here for years, watching all of these regime changes? Its not like we are oblivious to whats transpired in the last decade..

Who's we? You and Noeller, the guy that started all this nonsense with his assertion that we had no choice but to hire a rookie Coach and GM? LOL! That and a loonie won't get you a cup of Joe at Timmies.

14 minutes ago, J5V said:

Okay then, what are these indications and who? Who are these coaches we tried to bring in here because it looks to me like Mr. Miller just walked across the hall to the assistant GMs office and asked Kyle the assistant if he wanted the job. Then, instead of searching for the best possible candidate for a head coach it looks like Kyle just called up his buddy O'Shea and said "Hey Mike, you won't believe this, but I'm now the GM of the Bombers. Yeah, no ****. So, like, do you wanna be the head coach? C'mon, it'll be a blast! These guys are so desperate they'll take anyone!" So tell me, Spuds, how did it really go down? Tell me about the extensive interview process and all the candidates we went through. I'd love to hear about it.

Who's we? You and Noeller, the guy that started all this nonsense with his assertion that we had no choice but to hire a rookie Coach and GM? LOL! That and a loonie won't get you a cup of Joe at Timmies.

Not sure if you truly believe you know more but... Back when Walters was hired we were a clown show... Ppl legit didnt want to come here... Mack was that awful...  So awful that Winnipeg was pretty much black balled. It WAS that bad... Options were limited. Im not sure why you think you know it all tho. Sounds like you are trying to convince ppl you were actually in the room with Miller doing interviews instead of you know not being in the room at all. The reality is you dont know as much as you think you do... Thats reality.. Call out Spuds or Noeller all you like.. It doesnt change the fact that they are correct and you are dead oh so dead wrong. Like google some news articles.. Its not hard.. You will see it was as Bad as spuds and Noeller say. You werent in the room.. The only info we have as fans is What the media reported. 

Edited by Goalie

6 hours ago, bearpants said:

I'm actually not trying to arguing anymore,...I'm legitimately curious if these people exist right now... you seem convinced there are many, so I'd like to know who they are...

The only reasonable criteria are that the candidate have more experience in football than O'Shea and Walters and I'm certain you don't need me to do that homework for you.

I'm legitimately curious to know, since you seem to be defending the notion, how many Canadian Head coaches and GMs were hired together as rookies and went on to win Grey Cup championships in our league, ever? Care to try?

5 minutes ago, J5V said:

The only reasonable criteria are that the candidate have more experience in football than O'Shea and Walters and I'm certain you don't need me to do that homework for you.

I'm legitimately curious to know, since you seem to be defending the notion, how many Canadian Head coaches and GMs were hired together as rookies and went on to win Grey Cup championships in our league, ever? Care to try?

You are so convinced you were in the room i guess with Miller arent you. Its so sad seeing ppl pretend. 

Not a rookie exactly but Desjardins and Campbell... Ottawa. 

Why does it matter tho? Its like you have no memory of how things were here with Buchko and Mack setting us back years. 

Edited by Goalie

14 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Not sure if you truly believe you know more but... Back when Walters was hired we were a clown show... Ppl legit didnt want to come here... Mack was that awful...  So awful that Winnipeg was pretty much black balled. It WAS that bad... Options were limited. Im not sure why you think you know it all tho. Sounds like you are trying to convince ppl you were actually in the room with Miller doing interviews instead of you know not being in the room at all. The reality is you dont know as much as you think you do... Thats reality.. Call out Spuds or Noeller all you like.. It doesnt change the fact that they are correct and you are dead oh so dead wrong. Like google some news articles.. Its not hard.. You will see it was as Bad as spuds and Noeller say. You werent in the room.. The only info we have as fans is What the media reported. 

I was around then, I know how bad Mack was. I also remember guys arguing how great he was! I called Lapo's firing and like, the next day, he was fired! Then it was Burke. Dark days. But to suggest we had NO OTHER CHOICE but to hire Kyle and Mike is BS and you're not going to convince me otherwise. Look at Montreal right now. Total Gong show over there. Who would want a coaching job there? Look at Toronto last year, or Sask. Yet Toronto and Sask both found and hired experienced coaches and have turned things around very quickly. Just like Montreal will. People are always looking for opportunities and coaches will take jobs where there is opportunity.

56 minutes ago, Goalie said:

You are so convinced you were in the room i guess with Miller arent you. Its so sad seeing ppl pretend. 

Not a rookie exactly but Desjardins and Campbell... Ottawa. 

Why does it matter tho? Its like you have no memory of how things were here with Buchko and Mack setting us back years. 

You gotta be kidding me. Campbell's resume blows O'Shea's away! I wish O'Shea had spent the time that Campbell did before he became a head coach. He would have been much better. As for the Ad Hominems, Ho hum. Par for the course around here.

Oh, and Desjardin is no rookie either. Try again.

Edited by J5V

35 minutes ago, J5V said:

I was around then, I know how bad Mack was. I also remember guys arguing how great he was! I called Lapo's firing and like, the next day, he was fired! Then it was Burke. Dark days. But to suggest we had NO OTHER CHOICE but to hire Kyle and Mike is BS and you're not going to convince me otherwise. Look at Montreal right now. Total Gong show over there. Who would want a coaching job there? Look at Toronto last year, or Sask. Yet Toronto and Sask both found and hired experienced coaches and have turned things around very quickly. Just like Montreal will. People are always looking for opportunities and coaches will take jobs where there is opportunity.

Ummm, only if that madman Andrew Wetenhall realizes you can't fire coaches every single year and expect decent ones to come there.  That franchise is unstable because they have no patience.

3 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

Ummm, only if that madman Andrew Wetenhall realizes you can't fire coaches every single year and expect decent ones to come there.  That franchise is unstable because they have no patience.

As long as he's willing to pay them they will. 

3 hours ago, J5V said:

You gotta be kidding me. Campbell's resume blows O'Shea's away! I wish O'Shea had spent the time that Campbell did before he became a head coach. He would have been much better. As for the Ad Hominems, Ho hum. Par for the course around here.

Oh, and Desjardin is no rookie either. Try again.

Image result for a peaceful life peanuts

On 12/1/2017 at 6:46 PM, J5V said:

You didn't answer the actual question... you have yet to present any reasonable alternatives from the time when Walters and O'Shea were hired, and you haven't presented any possible options if we were in the same situation now.

Basically, you're saying the Bombers did it wrong and continue to do it wrong without offering any suggestions on how they may have done it right, other than vague statements about "hiring people with experience", yet you can't identify a single, viable option.

21 minutes ago, Sard said:

You didn't answer the actual question... you have yet to present any reasonable alternatives from the time when Walters and O'Shea were hired, and you haven't presented any possible options if we were in the same situation now.

Basically, you're saying the Bombers did it wrong and continue to do it wrong without offering any suggestions on how they may have done it right, other than vague statements about "hiring people with experience", yet you can't identify a single, viable option.

don't worry, he will just re-word his previous post... again.. and make it sound like hes adding something knew to the equation...  then imply we are all foolish for not following his preachings..  He predicted Lapo's firing dontcha know.. hes like a prophet!

I'm fine with that....I'm not sure he woulda been a personality fit here. If there's a truly better option (than RH), then I'm all for it, but whatever....unless Steinauer is coming back (not likely), then we may as well stay with Richie and see if he can adjust. I feel like we adjusted for the run game nicely after that was a huge problem. Maybe this year we can adjust for the passing game too? 

On 01/12/2017 at 6:46 PM, J5V said:

So now you're saying cfl experience and winning don't matter?... Just having more coaching/management than our guys at any level would make that candidate more qualified?

And you're changing my argumemt.... I never once said that hiring rookie Canadians as GM and HC was the way to win... as a matter of fact, I've stated multiple times that I agree hiring experienced winners in those roles is the ideal scenario... all I'm saying now is that experienced winners are not as readily available as you claim they are... so in this case the burden of proof is not on me to prove you wrong... all I want to know is are are any experienced winners with cfl knowledge currently available??

22 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I'm fine with that....I'm not sure he woulda been a personality fit here. If there's a truly better option (than RH), then I'm all for it, but whatever....unless Steinauer is coming back (not likely), then we may as well stay with Richie and see if he can adjust. I feel like we adjusted for the run game nicely after that was a huge problem. Maybe this year we can adjust for the passing game too? 

Yea I dunno if Thorpe and O'shea would blend well together.  I'm really hoping Richie wows oshea in the off-season with an idea to revamp the areas we are struggling in... I don't know if I my heart can handle those big explosion plays again game after game...

though, if the offense somehow improves and adds some speedy receivers to maximize their potential... maybe we can get into those slugfests and walk out the winners like we did this season..