Blue Bombers and 680 CJOB Announce Partnership Extension

TrueBlue

1 minute ago, Goalie said:

@shadybob diasgree all you like... CJOB is the big time in this Province... 1290 is on the lower end of the totem pole. Its how it is... Jets are the only thing they have that draws numbers and even then its not that high... 

1290 dies when the Jets leave that station. 

same could be said for CJOB and the Bombers rights. I get there is some nostalgia there, and the reach of CJOB is larger than 1290 as pointed out here, and that's a fair point, so I understand the reasoning behind it. Just throwing my two cents out there about what Id like to see. 

Just now, shadybob said:

same could be said for CJOB and the Bombers rights. I get there is some nostalgia there, and the reach of CJOB is larger than 1290 as pointed out here, and that's a fair point, so I understand the reasoning behind it. Just throwing my two cents out there about what Id like to see. 

CJOB draws big ratings regardless of the bombers who play for all of 18 weeks... TSN does nothing if its not Jets.

6 minutes ago, Sard said:

Winnipeg Radio Station ratings (Fall of 2016) with % of listeners (2015 in parenthesis).

1. CBC Radio One — 12.3 (15.3)
  2. 680 CJOB — 10.8 (10.9)
  3. QX 104 — 9.1 (7.4)
  4. 103.1 Virgin Radio — 7.0 (9.0)
  5. 92.1 CITI — 6.5 (9.4)
  6. KiSS 102.3 — 6.0 (4.9)
  7. 99.9 BOB FM — 5.7 (6.0)
  8. 94.3 The Drive — 5.5 (3.9 as FAB 94.3)
  9. Energy 106 — 4.8 (4.5)
  10. CBC Radio 2 — 4.2 (4.0)
  11. TSN 1290 — 4.1 (3.5)
  12. Power 97 — 3.5 (3.1 as 97.5 BIG FM)
  13. Jewel 100.5 — 2.9 (2.2)
  14. 99.1 Fresh Radio — 1.6 (2.5)
  15. Radio-Canada — 0.5 (0.2)
  16. NOW Country 104.7 — 0.3 (0.7 as Rhythm 104.7)

Better yet, more recently in the spring of 2017:

• CBC One…14.5 (Share)            13.8 (Last Spring)
  • 680 CJOB…10.9                       11.0
  • QX 104…9.0                               9.0
  • 92.1 CITI…7.4                             8.7
  • 103.1 Virgin…8.0                        6.7
  • 99.9 Bob…5.9                            6.8
  • Kiss 102.3…4.1                         6.8
  • 94.3 The Drive…5.6                   4.1
  • Energy 106…4.7                        4.9
  • Power 97…4.7                           3.8
  • TSN 1290…4.4                          3.2
  • CBC Two…3.6                           2.7
  • CJGV…2.6                                 1.9
  • Hot 100.5…1.5                          1.6

Pretty much says it all... CJOB has 10.9% of the listening audience while TSN has 4.4%.

2 minutes ago, Goalie said:

To put it in to perspective... The most listened to radio station in manitoba is... 

CBC.. 

CJOB is a close 2nd

1290 is way down near the bottom at number 11. 

All I'm saying is after Bob is finished with calling the games I'm not exactly looking forward to what CJOB can offer. 

13 minutes ago, shadybob said:

There it is right there. I tune in to CJOB and I'm instantly transported back 50 years and my long gone grandma and I are sitting in her bedroom listening to the game together. I've got a bag of Old Dutch and a coke and she pours a Black Label. To this day a bag of chips and a coke are required gear for every Bomber game. We used to jeer Mean Gene Kiniski (Canada's Greatest Athlete) of Edmonton Eskimo and Pro Wrestling fame together. We both loved Dr. X and the figure-four leglock, but I digress. Those were the days!

Gene_Kiniski.jpg

53 minutes ago, Rich said:

I love Irving and would never want to see him leave, but he is 67, is he really going to be able to go to 74?

I would have liked the rights to go to TSN1290, not sure what else CJOB has to offer other then Irving.

Hope the Bombers got a good amount of cash for this deal.

I would think TSN would have taken a run at it.  But there would have been some overlap with Jets coverage.   Perhaps the Bombers preferred to have a station to themselves.  Though I would guess the highest offer won.

31 minutes ago, mbrg said:

1290 is dead to me as long as Westwood works there.

I dont get the Westwood hate.  Is it an ironic thing?  He has lots of great insight. 

26 minutes ago, Goalie said:

To put it in to perspective... The most listened to radio station in manitoba is... 

CBC.. 

CJOB is a close 2nd

1290 is way down near the bottom at number 11. 

Yeah but 1290 is a sports station only.  its to be expected.  I bet their numbers spike for Jets games.  And CJOB numbers have free-fallen over the years.

1 hour ago, shadybob said:

not even remotely.  people tune in to listen to the talk radio. not just the sports.

Great decision.  Bob is iconic and likely the most unbiased reporter that I know.  That is only one reason though.  The bigger one is that the Bombers will always be second to the Jets on TSN.  Hockey runs 10 months of the year whereas the Bombers season is July to November. 

I enjoy TSN 1290, but they often become hard to listen to when it comes to football.  Almost none of their commentators understand the game.  It drives me crazy to listen to a sports guy tell the world his judgement of a player or coach when he clearly doesn't understand what he is seeing (if he even watched the game).

Honestly don't care that much as I see pros and cons but would probably prefer TSN.

1290 has better production it seems, way less commercials and I just feel they'll be even better under the TSN banner going forward given the relationship with the CFL.  Bauming is one of the best at reporting on the CFL right now as well I find.   That being said, as other posters mentioned, Westwood is absolute garbage.  He can barely form a sentence half the time and I don't find him insightful at all... and more often then not he has his facts wrong whether its names, stats, etc.  He turns me off their entire show.

CJOB cares more about the Bombers it seems, I love Knuckles, and its not constant Jets coverage but it also feels old.  Yes I get the nostalgia factor but that is also the fact that their main listener is over the age of 60.  Where is the coverage going to go in the future?  Doug Brown does come up with some good things but he can also be extremely arrogant, on the air and in person.

Now if Irving moved to TSN, they got rid of Westwood and they got the rights, I would be ecstatic. 

Man, I have a lot of thoughts about some of the opinions in this thread, but I think the best thing I can say is: I'm really encouraged by how much people legitimately care about this topic. 

Re: the ratings.....something to keep in mind: Those numbers posted are 12+, which means it's all listeners 12 years and older...which doesn't really show an accurate picture. For example, TSN is FAR more concerned with M18-49....All males 18-49 years old. That's their key demo...and they're a lot higher up in that demo than the 12+ would show. There's also things like Cume and other "fancy stats" that radio sales/marketing people like to cling to. Having said that, it's probably accurate that Jets broadcasts are the main draw for TSN. Other than that...there's not a lot going on. I tune in sometimes to "aircheck" (monitor/analyze) their local jocks.....aaaaaand....they're passionate, but still learning in some cases (Kevin O).

Re: CJOB commercials....if you know about broadcasting, you know that tons of commercials during a program means they're doing something right. If they didn't have so many people tuning in, they wouldn't have advertisers paying for the time. TSN *WISHES* they had people being upset at too many commercials...

Edited by Noeller

When I spoke to Bob a couple of years ago he did say he wanted to work a little less...but Not retiring yet. I hope he calls games till the duration of this new contract. 

As to CJOB's coverage...they could use a longer post game call in show. I like Doug Brown, but really miss a voice like Mitch Zalnasky (sp?).  And also, they do need to make sure they have both guys (Bob & Doug) calling the away games - none of this "we'll pick up a local guy to help Bob with the away games"

All in all, good news. I've been listening to Bob since he started  (was that '72?).

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I dont get the Westwood hate.  Is it an ironic thing?  He has lots of great insight. 

Doing things ironically is almost 20 years in the rear-view.  If you need a velour tracksuit to go bowling in, I know people.

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

Its not ironic, Westwood is an uniformed, non entertaining know it all.

More or less this.  I have no lingering issues from GC2001, and by all accounts Westwood the person is a decent dude, but Westwood the sports personality?  See above.

The breaking point for me was when Eugenie Bouchard was forced to withdraw from the US Open due to a concussion after a puddle related slip-and-fall in the locker room.  He absolutely went off on her, calling her an idiot for being so irresponsible, kept railing on how this was her fault and she should be blamed.  It was 100% pure *******.

So the current format for any panel show seems to be two or more people take a stance at the opposite end of the spectrum and yell at each other.  Apparently the loudest is declared the winner?  The audience is clearly the loser.  Picking something controversial to say and refusing to back down from it is informative?  If I'm listening to talk radio, I want to finish feeling smarter, not dumber.  Westwood drags it down to dunce-level, and he does it intentionally.

So Westwood's choice to be the guy who shouts contrarian positions is his own.  I'm sure he might have some knowledge and insight when it comes to football and locker room culture specific to the CFL, but beyond that, insight is not a word I would associate with his daily work on TSN.  His hockey knowledge consists of "being a Canadian".

There is no hate for Westwood.  What he's selling, I'm not buying.

Edited by mbrg

10 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Just to set the record straight - no you CAN'T hear CJOB anywhere in Southern MB. People living further West are unable to tune in to Bomber games and the stations that used to pick up the broadcast out there no longer do. 

CJOB powers waaaay down at 6 pm.

2 hours ago, Sard said:

Winnipeg Radio Station ratings (Fall of 2016) with % of listeners (2015 in parenthesis).

There's only so much sports most people can take.

Turned it on this morning, and they were figuring out what to do with Wheeler's contract when it expires i2018. :wacko:

I know some people love that stuff, but it's way to deep into hockey for me. turned it off immediately.