Around the League - Regular Season Discussion (Redux)

BigBlue

looking at the week 5 calendar we have;

Wed July 19th: Montreal @ Ottawa

Thursday July 20th: Edmonton @ Hamilton

Friday July 21st: Winnipeg @ BC

Saturday July 22nd: Saskatchewan @ Calgary

Monday July 24th: Ottawa @ Toronto

Has there ever been a team that has played 2 games in the same "CFL" week before?

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

9 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Saturday July 22nd: Saskatchewan @ BC

Has there ever been a team that has played 2 games in the same "CFL" week before?

I think it happens every year that one team plays twice in a week (since Ottawa was added). I believe Argos have that sched if not last year the previous year.

EDIT:

2016 Week 11 - Argos played twice. vs BC & vs HAM

2015 Week 16 - Argos vs OTT & vs MTL

I think that will continue to happen until a 10th team emerge.

Edited by M.O.A.B.

6 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Saturday July 22nd: Saskatchewan @ BC

Sask @ Calgary.  Making BC play two days in a row would be fun to watch, but a little unfair.

3 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

I think it happens every year that one team plays twice in a week. I believe Argos have that sched if not last year the previous year.

EDIT: Last year Week 11 - Argos played twice. vs BC & vs HAM

thats awful scheduling. it should be pretty cut and dry 8 teams play 1 on bye every Thurs-Sat (or even sunday).  I see ottawa gets the bye after this 2 game week (which would be a godsend) Toronto didn't get that luxury last year. I hope they fix this before a time comes that the bombers get such a **** schedule

10 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

thats awful scheduling. it should be pretty cut and dry 8 teams play 1 on bye every Thurs-Sat (or even sunday).  I see ottawa gets the bye after this 2 game week (which would be a godsend) Toronto didn't get that luxury last year. I hope they fix this before a time comes that the bombers get such a **** schedule

If there are 4 games every week, that means only 80 games get played.  With 9 teams playing 18 games each, there are 81 total games played.  (9 x 18 = 162.... 2 teams per game so 162 / 2 = 81).  So you need to fit that 81st game in there somewhere.  The options are a 5-game week where someone plays twice or you extend the season by one week.

And it looks weird because the gap is Wednesday to Monday for Ottawa, but that's still 4 days in between.  It's no different than when someone ends a week on a Sunday and opens the next week on Friday, which isn't that uncommon.

Edited by Atomic

5 minutes ago, Atomic said:

If there are 4 games every week, that means only 80 games get played.  With 9 teams playing 18 games each, there are 81 total games played.  (9 x 18 = 162.... 2 teams per game so 162 / 2 = 81).  So you need to fit that 81st game in there somewhere.  The options are a 5-game week where someone plays twice or you extend the season by one week.

And it looks weird because the gap is Wednesday to Monday for Ottawa, but that's still 4 days in between.  It's no different than when someone ends a week on a Sunday and opens the next week on Friday, which isn't that uncommon.

Exactly.  TSN is already giving Ottawa the out and Ottawa is already whining about it.  But it happens to everyone, the Bombers just had a short week, and the Eastern teams have minimal travel.  Ottawa isn't leaving their time zone and they have an hour of travel to Toronto.

IMO the team with the "two in one week" schedule should always be an eastern team unless it is a Western team given three consecutive home games.

To back to back stretches of 4 day rest is going to be tough but the away game is just down the road...

Ottawa really could be behind the 8 ball after these two, they need to beat Montreal...  huge mistake letting Ernest Jackson walk - for both the player and the team.

16 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I'd be pretty interested in seeing what Ryan Phillips could do in this defence... yeah he's gettin old but its not like he was getting lit up in Montreal

wouldn't be a bad pick up for a few other reasons too;

1. we play BC next, I'm sure Phillips would play with a chip on his shoulder to show them they made a mistake releasing him

2. we play montreal the following week where A) he's been a DD killer his whole career and B) would likely be familiar with what the Als would roll out on offense

I don't think he'd be a long term answer but definitely could be useful 

11 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

wouldn't be a bad pick up for a few other reasons too;

1. we play BC next, I'm sure Phillips would play with a chip on his shoulder to show them they made a mistake releasing him

2. we play montreal the following week where A) he's been a DD killer his whole career and B) would likely be familiar with what the Als would roll out on offense

I don't think he'd be a long term answer but definitely could be useful 

Thankfully the Bombers are no longer in the temp. player mode, that's a Sask. thing.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

4 minutes ago, Jacquie said:

There is no way he would play on Friday if the Bombers were to sign him.

I dunno about that,  he's a vet DB who's been playing so the learning curve of Hall's D wouldn't take too long to adjust to and he would be in game shape. If Jovan Johnson could come in and be an immediate impact player for the riders on short notice, I don't see why Phillips couldn't as well. But in all likelihood we run with the same roster as last game with the exception of Thorpe

57 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Why on earth would we consider Phillips? For his past work?

because people love a player who had experience for some odd reason.  I don't get the love affair and sure its worked in instances... Barrin Simpson, Jovon Johnson.. but its also failed miserably as often if not more so.. Jovon Johnson (lol) , Keith Shologan, Jeff Keeping just to name a few off the top of my head.