Around the League - Regular Season Discussion (Redux)

BigBlue

1 hour ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I don't condone any kind of physical contact on an official first and foremost.  That said I can be a little sympathetic to the hamilton players who were having a close game gifted to the opposition with REALLY brutal calls one after the other after the other,  finally losing his cool in a game most guys are playing full tilt emotionally. I'm good with the punishment

They way you play and the how the referees have called the game thus far should have nothing to do with the suspension.  1 game is not enough.  The way I look at it, it should be at least one game for any type of non-incidental contact on an official.  The fact that Hill did it in a deliberate and threatening way, should warrant at least 2 if not 3 games. 

2 minutes ago, TrueBlue said:

They way you play and the how the referees have called the game thus far should have nothing to do with the suspension.  1 game is not enough.  The way I look at it, it should be at least one game for any type of non-incidental contact on an official.  The fact that Hill did it in a deliberate and threatening way, should warrant at least 2 if not 3 games. 

exactly.  any form of contact that is initiated by player should be a suspension.. an aggressive, "attack" like grabbing and shaking?  3-4 to me is something id be giving out.

Just now, TrueBlue said:

I wouldn't be opposed if they felt like a stiffer penalty was in order,  I'm just indifferent to the 1 game.  Maybe I view the infraction a little differently than others, but at what point do the refs start getting the point they are doing a bad job and are single handedly ruining the game, and dictating outcomes.  Again I don't condone the action of Hill, but hopefully if there is some sort of silver lining in it, is the CFL and Glen Johnson take a long look at this and realize what was the instigator.

It seems in the many games already played this season when nothing was done about the bad calls,  they just seem to continue.  I can see an instance like Hill and the circumstances that caused it to happen again if the officiating continues on it's piss poor pace

Just now, Taynted_Fayth said:

I wouldn't be opposed if they felt like a stiffer penalty was in order,  I'm just indifferent to the 1 game.  Maybe I view the infraction a little differently than others, but at what point do the refs start getting the point they are doing a bad job and are single handedly ruining the game, and dictating outcomes.  Again I don't condone the action of Hill, but hopefully if there is some sort of silver lining in it, is the CFL and Glen Johnson take a long look at this and realize what was the instigator.

It seems in the many games already played this season when nothing was done about the bad calls,  they just seem to continue.  I can see an instance like Hill and the circumstances that caused it to happen again if the officiating continues on it's piss poor pace

you are at work.  a co-worker or customer dings your car door with theirs.   you see your security guy is sitting in his booth but failed to stop the ding.. do you run up to the guard and start grabbing his uniform and shaking him?  no.  you call MPI and you get it taken care of civilized like. 

or else you get an assault charge.    Why would we not expect professional players on a field of play to hold themselves to that same level of restraint?  I know I would if I was a commish and I'd drop the hammer hard on anyone creating a physical altercation with an official.

I know i'm not in the minority here.  FB is rife with former players saying the same thing.. respect for the game is paramount.

Just now, SPuDS said:

you are at work.  a co-worker or customer dings your car door with theirs.   you see your security guy is sitting in his booth but failed to stop the ding.. do you run up to the guard and start grabbing his uniform and shaking him?  no.  you call MPI and you get it taken care of civilized like. 

or else you get an assault charge.    Why would we not expect professional players on a field of play to hold themselves to that same level of restraint?  I know I would if I was a commish and I'd drop the hammer hard on anyone creating a physical altercation with an official.

I know i'm not in the minority here.  FB is rife with former players saying the same thing.. respect for the game is paramount.

the circumstances aren't the same as your car scenario. The ref gave him a RTP penalty on a BS call when glenn slide late. Then gave the team a 15 yarder for the little scrimmage on the sidelines,  then a UR on the Stephens hit allowing the riders the score, the following play. 

if it was like your scenario,  it would be like a cop guiding traffic and him waving in a car to ding the back of your car. Then proceed to give you a ticket for your busted tail light

Again Hill deserves everything he got and arguably more, and as a professional should know better. But at what point does the ref take any kind of accountability?

2 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

the circumstances aren't the same as your car scenario. The ref gave him a RTP penalty on a BS call when glenn slide late. Then gave the team a 15 yarder for the little scrimmage on the sidelines,  then a UR on the Stephens hit allowing the riders the score, the following play. 

if it was like your scenario,  it would be like a cop guiding traffic and him waving in a car to ding the back of your car. Then proceed to give you a ticket for your busted tail light

Again Hill deserves everything he got and arguably more, and as a professional should know better. But at what point does the ref take any kind of accountability?

It's not the refs fault for being attacked.

In no way is physical or verbal assault justified on anyone.

7 minutes ago, JCon said:

It's not the refs fault for being attacked.

In no way is physical or verbal assault justified on anyone.

Your right in the sense they shouldn't be attacked.  Cooler heads need to prevail and in any sport especially with regards to the official.  But IMHO if the reffing doesn't get their **** together this will happen more and more, and it will basically become like Baseball.  Maybe I'm playing devil's advocate a bit, but I'm just trying to put myself in the shoes of Hill leading up to him grabbing the official and I know I would be livid with the 3 consecutive bad calls called against us that resulted in the opposing team scoring 7 in a close game.  The reffing this season has been hot garbage to put it nicely

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

5 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Your right in the sense they shouldn't be attacked.  Cooler heads need to prevail and in any sport especially with regards to the official.  But IMHO if the reffing doesn't get their **** together this will happen more and more, and it will basically become like Baseball.  Maybe I'm playing devil's advocate a bit, but I'm just trying to put myself in the shoes of Hill leading up to him grabbing the official and I know I would be livid with the 3 consecutive bad calls called against us that resulted in the opposing team scoring 7 in a close game.  The reffing this season has been hot garbage to put it nicely

Physical and verbal abuse is never okay. No, ifs ands or buts.

And, yes, the refing has been horrendous.

I agree that any physical or threatening contact with an official deserves a long or even lifetime suspension. However there is no clear rule in place to address this. A one game suspension will lead to the CFLPA to seek an injunction and let an arbitrator rule. There is the possibility that they might extend the suspension for a longer term. A one game time out I think will make for a speedier decision, rather than trying to rule on a longer one. After watching the video evidence of both the facewash and then the contact shortly after an arbitrator is going to have a hard time not to give him a longer suspension. In any event a clear policy will need to be developed by the new commissioner to address this type of situation in the future.

1 minute ago, DR. CFL said:

Curious to know if part of the decision on him only getting a one game is the agreement and hassle getting a greater suspension agreed upon by the CFLPA? I do agree given the intent of his action one game is far to short.

For sure. Wouldnt surprise me 1 bit. PA is bad in all sports

2 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

at no point! they shouldn't ever have to be held accountable for making a bad call in regards to getting their ass kicked on the field.  after the game, by a review board? sure.. in game, nope.  to suggest otherwise is completely asinine!

2 hours ago, JCon said:

and its been bad here, NFL,NHL, NBA, MLB, and every sport ever.  Know what else?  people who hit or touch officials in every other league get HUGE suspensions and rightly so..

where is the respect for the sport and its dignitaries?  I know the worlds going to hell in a handbasket but if we can't respect our games and traditions enough to not be assaulting refs... theres a major problem here.

58 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

at no point! they shouldn't ever have to be held accountable for making a bad call in regards to getting their ass kicked on the field.  after the game, by a review board? sure.. in game, nope.  to suggest otherwise is completely asinine!

I'm not disagreeing with you about the ref should not be touched. 100% absolutely.  

Have we really seen anything done about the bad reffing over the years other then the odd acknowledgement of a bad call? They really have gotten to the point of dictating outcomes.  

17 hours ago, JCon said:

Actually, under certain circumstances, I think that physical and verbal abuse are the way to go...

...just never on a ref during a game.

17 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

So in this scenario you would be extremely frustrated, sure... but would you physically assault the cop? Obviously not... No excuse for Mr Hill...

15 hours ago, SPuDS said:

and its been bad here, NFL,NHL, NBA, MLB, and every sport ever.  Know what else?  people who hit or touch officials in every other league get HUGE suspensions and rightly so..

10 games in the NHL (minimum suspension for "assaulting" a ref) is 12.2% of the season... 2 games in the CFL is 11.1%.... I think 2 games would have been the appropriate suspension... but I'd have no problem with 3 or 4...

I don't know what the standard is in the other leagues...

BTW, did you guys hear about the two pretzels that were walking down the street... one was a salted....