Game 1 : Maple Leafs

Tough start but it's a long season. I'm seeing a lot of people jumping off a bridge on my twitter feed tonight. Just as it's not the time to plan a Leafs SC parade, it's not the time for Jets fans to want everyone fired/cut/traded.... 

20 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

I'd like to fly on a unicorn, but neither of these things will happen. The Jets 4th line won't see those minutes.

One maple leaf had 7 mins ice time... rest of fourth line had 11-12 mins

but yeah Maurice will continue to ride his top two lines and his 'checking' line

marleau-Kadri -konarov - this was the leafs third line... can't remember if they got any points this game

Edited by Floyd

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I thought the previous six years was the learning experience.  

It's only game one... but still they really can't lean on the excuses this season.     

I would find it funny though if someone were to accumulate all the excuses that Maurice makes post game after each loss... it'd be funny to read the variety of excuses and how he crafts his words to appease the media for the dismal results. 

11 minutes ago, Floyd said:

One maple leaf had 7 mins ice time... rest of fourth line had 11-12 mins

but yeah Maurice will continue to ride his top two lines and his 'checking' line

marleau-Kadri -konarov - this was the leafs third line... can't remember if they got any points this game

3 goals lol. 

It's everything post 1st period that really got me pissed off. Okay so Leafs got mo from the PK and put some goals in, big deal. Start the 2nd with a PP... has to be 3-1 there. New game. Instead Leafs score, Jets look disinterested. Give up THREE more after that. Doh. 

What a sad start. Complete disaster in our own end. 

Horrible way to open up the season. At home, no less.

Jets started off well and appeared to be in control. Full marks to the Leafs on some solid penalty killing and impressive netminding by Andersen. But as soon as the Leafs got on the board (I don't understand how Kadri just gets left alone in tight), they just fell apart and reverted to the Jets of old. It was an ugly, ugly display: standing around, watching the puck, giving opponents too much space and time... Just hideous.

I have to wonder what was going through Maurice's head during first intermission last night, not to mention the rest of the team.

Edited by blue_gold_84

A great way to set the tone for the season.     It seems like this club over the last 2 years has been constantly chasing and digging themselves out of holes.      It seems like every week the media and fans are expecting this team to take control and to dominate and to get over the hump... after so many years it's kind of hard to stay optimistic.

10 hours ago, Goalie said:

Morrissey had 8 minutes of ice time. Lowry had the most at over 20... Gonna ignore this and pretend this isnt coaching? @FrostyWinnipeg props for the Stulikov nickname. 

Morrissey had 12:38.  Regardless, in a game with roughly a million powerplays, it stands to reason that your ice time will go down if you're not on the pp.

10 hours ago, Goalie said:

Toronto had a 20 goal scorer on their 4th line btw. 

I hope you don't mean Fehr, who didn't score 20 goals in the last two seasons combined?

I don't think anyone would have expected that outcome last night, our new goalie was what he has been in the past below average, our defense runs around leaving guys open all over the place, where was our captain last night and Laine needs to stop telegraphing his wrist shots, he had at least 3 where the defender got his stick into the path ............oh well on to Saturday's game with Calgary who didn't look that great against Edmonton but Smith did. As a footnote that second goal by McDavid last night was a holy crap moment for me last night.

Phony news take in the Sun about that debacle...At home and wacked real good...They tried to use an analogy of a bad flight and take-off...Who the hell are they trying to fool...This team crashed last year and they did pee all to maintain and correct this Jet...player wise or management wise...It's only just begun folks....the wings have fallen off.

Jets will probably be all right.  Going on the road, they might win 2 of the 3. 

But that was so embarrassing.  And so weird.  It was an brilliant example of every issue that plagued this team for years that they said they were going to fix.  The idea of "nerves", I dont buy.  if this team is so nervous for a home opener they play like that, we have no hopes of ever winning a playoff game.

At some point the excuses and sound bytes and analysis by Maurice wont be enough. 

If the Jets win the next ten, great.  But THAT performance will always linger in the background.

But....here's hoping they got their worst game out of the way on day one.

8 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Jets will probably be all right.  Going on the road, they might win 2 of the 3. 

But that was so embarrassing.  And so weird.  It was an brilliant example of every issue that plagued this team for years that they said they were going to fix.  The idea of "nerves", I dont buy.  if this team is so nervous for a home opener they play like that, we have no hopes of ever winning a playoff game.

At some point the excuses and sound bytes and analysis by Maurice wont be enough. 

If the Jets win the next ten, great.  But THAT performance will always linger in the background.

But....here's hoping they got their worst game out of the way on day one.

First home opener loss since 2013. They just looked out of sync. Like they were doing nothing the last week in practice. 

So, the earliest - and I do stress the earliest - returns on Chevy's off-season work are in and well...the results are a tad underwhelming, to put it mildly.

Our GM really had only one major assignment - that of acquiring a legit, average goalie (yup, just average) to give what looks like a very offensively gifted squad a fighting chance at a post-season birth. So, what'd he do? He went out and got a guy whose save % was very similar (lower?) than the 2 guys who too regularly $#^@ the bed last year for us...Meanwhile, the Rangers (perennial playoffers, mind you) seem to think Pavs ain't that bad, afterall.

Steve Mason as the answer? Really? Mason's save % last night (.750) was pretty much the same as the game I saw him in last week against Ottawa...

Meanwhile, all the other usual suspects more related to coaching also showed up...defensive zone lapses/breakdowns, p$*^ poor power play, lousy PK, and the re-emergence, as the game wore on, of those ol' discipline problems.

Hopefully, this is just a real bad opening day misstep - a hiccup, albeit a stinky one - and the boys in polar blue will bounce back strong...and Mason shows us all that Chevy was no fool after all...and Maurice rises to heretofore unattained heights (afterall, you could make a pretty strong case that he has simply reverted to form...over a 1360+ game career, the guy is a good talker but a lifetime .500 coach, at best).

Here's hoping...

Otherwise things are gonna get real interesting (read: ugly) around these parts fast...

Edited by deepsixemtoboyd

19 hours ago, deepsixemtoboyd said:

So, the earliest - and I do stress the earliest - returns on Chevy's off-season work are in and well...the results are a tad underwhelming, to put it mildly.

Our GM really had only one major assignment - that of acquiring a legit, average goalie (yup, just average) to give what looks like a very offensively gifted squad a fighting chance at a post-season birth. So, what'd he do? He went out and got a guy whose save % was very similar (lower?) than the 2 guys who too regularly $#^@ the bed last year for us...Meanwhile, the Rangers (perennial playoffers, mind you) seem to think Pavs ain't that bad, afterall.

Steve Mason as the answer? Really? Mason's save % last night (.750) was pretty much the same as the game I saw him in last week against Ottawa...

Meanwhile, all the other usual suspects more related to coaching also showed up...defensive zone lapses/breakdowns, p$*^ poor power play, lousy PK, and the re-emergence, as the game wore on, of those ol' discipline problems.

Hopefully, this is just a real bad opening day misstep - a hiccup, albeit a stinky one - and the boys in polar blue will bounce back strong...and Mason shows us all that Chevy was no fool after all...and Maurice rises to heretofore unattained heights (afterall, you could make a pretty strong case that he has simply reverted to form...over a 1360+ game career, the guy is a good talker but a lifetime .500 coach, at best).

Here's hoping...

Otherwise things are gonna get real interesting (read: ugly) around these parts fast...

Chevy generally gets a pass by people.  I felt he could have done more to try and salvage last season.  But that aside, in hindsight its always better to focus on long term than short term.

Even if Mason is a flop, that doesnt hang on Chevy.  Mason is *at least* average and a big step up from Hutch last season.  So immediately out goalie tandem is better.  Kulikov was probably the best free agent D man available.  And its depth because our biggest issue on D was half of it was hurt all season. 

Plus he signed Poolman. 

He can only look at available facts and do what he thinks is best.  He cant predict if  players will be better or worse than that information would tell him. 

I would say it's more accurate to blame the team's lapses and reverting to old, bad habits for Wednesday's loss than to pin it on a goalie who had little to no help in his Jets' debut. I mean, that's a movie we've all seen before with this team, anyway.

As for Ondrej Pavelec, the Rangers signed him as a backup for $1.3M for a single season (low risk, short-term). That's much different than having him on a 5-year, $19.5M contract ($3.9M AAV) and having him as your starter on a team notorious for poor defensive zone play.

I still think Maurice should've replaced Huddy and Flaherty. Frankly, I don't get the loyalty to either of them. They are lousy coaches.