Around the NHL 2017/2018

Rich

Paul Stastny means more to the Jets right now than another first round pick, especially one they hope if a very late first round.  Its always great to have those picks and having another player we can watch develop over the next 5 years is nice but the time is now.  We can be cup contenders for the next 5 years (plus) so Im not worried about a kid we havent drafted.

And Foley is a good prospect but he was also not under contract to the Jets.

If it doesnt work out, hindsight is 20/20 but this is what Stanley Cup winning teams do to put themselves over the top.  We can wring our hands about another 5 year project getting away or go head-first into the playoffs with a team that has as good a chance as any to win.

Giving up what's basically a late first rounder and an unsigned prospect who has yet to even see NHL ice (or a 4th rounder in 2020 if said prospect doesn't sign in St. Louis) isn't necessarily an overpay for Stastny and 50% of his contract. And it's not like the Jets are worse off for what was traded for him, anyway. In fact, they're better down the middle on account of this trade.

47 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

The obvious question is "what the heck was St Louis thinking" being only a couple points out and effectively giving up on the season (though they can still make it).  But what about Chicago?  Hartman is exactly the type of player they should be keeping.

Apparently Hartman and Quenneville didn't get along too well

https://www.tsn.ca/kane-defends-character-i-ve-grown-up-a-lot-1.1012533

Buffalo Sabres general manager Jason Botterill said Monday he took the best offer he received for winger , but admitted he was never offered anything higher than a conditional first-round pick.

Botterill traded Kane to the San Jose Sharks for a conditional first-round pick – which will become a second-round pick if Kane is not re-signed by San Jose – plus a fourth-round pick and forward Dan O’Regan.

Kane defended his character in a conference call after the trade, noting there have been no recent incidents.

"We're not talking about last week or last month. We're talking about a number of years ago," Kane said, per the Associated Press. "I've grown up a lot since then and I've moved on from it and I think I've shown that over the course of the last two or three years. It's something I've put behind me."

Last month, Kane got into a shouting match with  during a Sabres practice after a battle with Kane led  sustaining an ankle injury. Falk called selfish while on the ice, though both players downplayed the incident afterwards.

It sucks for Buffalo but they traded high to get Kane and got burned by everyone else who wasnt going to pay fair market value for someone with Kane's character issues.  Its that simple.  Especially going into the playoffs where you need a guy to NOT disrupt your team chemistry. 

It doesnt help that he's not been great since that incident with his team mate which could speak to him sulking.  He better have a solid last few weeks and playoffs if he wants to cash in this summer.

8 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Maybe.  Although he is one of the best coaches of all time while Hartman is just some 23 year old kid.

I remember Friedman talking, not that long ago, about how people were calling for a coaching change in Chicago and he said it was one of the most insane things, because if for some reason they were to let him go, he'd be unemployed for about 5 seconds. Said basically every team in the league, save for maybe Toronto, would want him...

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I remember Friedman talking, not that long ago, about how people were calling for a coaching change in Chicago and he said it was one of the most insane things, because if for some reason they were to let him go, he'd be unemployed for about 5 seconds. Said basically every team in the league, save for maybe Toronto, would want him...

Most great coaches get fired.  Everyone gets fired eventually.  And re-hired.

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Most great coaches get fired.  Everyone gets fired eventually.  And re-hired.

For sure, and sometimes a team needs a change just for the sake of change....no question about it. But it'd be tough to justify that whoever you hire after Q would be as good...

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

For sure, and sometimes a team needs a change just for the sake of change....no question about it. But it'd be tough to justify that whoever you hire after Q would be as good...

My surprise with Hartman is that Chicago is aging out of their window and with cap issues have had to lose good players.  Can they reload for one last run or is their run over?  if its over, Hartman is the type of player to keep as you rebuild.  But I doubt they can do much with the contracts for their top players.  They might take a slow decline into oblivion.  And will Q want to be there for that?

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

My surprise with Hartman is that Chicago is aging out of their window and with cap issues have had to lose good players.  Can they reload for one last run or is their run over?  if its over, Hartman is the type of player to keep as you rebuild.  But I doubt they can do much with the contracts for their top players.  They might take a slow decline into oblivion.  And will Q want to be there for that?

hey Chicago has had a great decade but come on I want to see someone else win the cup. and by that I don't mean Pittsburgh either