Restaurant/food thread

iHeart

10 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

I don't mind tipping for fast food when I can see it's temporary foreign workers providing the service although I wish the Fed govt. would not embrace this form of second class citizenship, 

I can almost (99%) guarantee that those workers don't see any tips.   I remember reading about how several Tim Hortons in Vancouver were in trouble a few years back for hiring foreign workers,  paying them below minimum wage,  forcing them to use their pay to give the owner money for their workers permits and rent.  Basically they took advantage of the foreign worker benefits that companies can use and made them slave labourers.   In Canada!!  It's insane,  

I'm in favour of no tipping and places paying a better wage.   That being said when the South Park creators bought the real Casa Bonita and eliminated tips and gave everyone a $30 per hour wage the staff complained!   

https://www.mensjournal.com/news/south-park-creators-casa-bonita-labor-dispute

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

I'm in favour of no tipping and places paying a better wage.   That being said when the South Park creators bought the real Casa Bonita and eliminated tips and gave everyone a $30 per hour wage the staff complained

Of course. I know a kid that works at Salty's (Winnipeg Beach). Not even a sit down restaraunt - she routinely makes $100 in tips, esp.on weekends.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, bustamente said:

Burger Week has become a farce full of over priced entries, some really stretch the imagination on what a burger is 

Speaking with one restaurant owner... it went from a good way for independent restaurants to promote ... into a very expensive over priced advertisement.      It used to be a few hundred dollars and they'd feature your burger and promote it everywhere... into now being something like $1000 to be only mentioned on the list for the site and extra money for them to promote if on their social medias.    That is why some places over charge to recoup the expenses.  

Edited by Brandon

I tried the 'Undertaker' from Underdogs:

• Rosemary buttered beef patty, jalapeño jack cheese, sundried tomato aioli, pickled red onion, classic steak frites

Yep, that was quality beef and a taste that's a little out of the ordinary without overcomplicating or outright forgetting what a burger is. The pickled red onion brought something different and steak frites added some crunchy texture. It still doesn't top their 'Randy Savage', winner of Le Burger Week in 2018 and current regular menu item.

The maker of extremely spicy tortilla chips marketed as the “One Chip Challenge” is pulling the product from shelves after a mother said her teenage son died of complications from consuming a single chip. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/one-chip-challenge-pulled-shelves-teen-death-rcna103906

On 2022-08-22 at 1:40 PM, iHeart said:

Okay so my prayers are being answered...sort of, I went to ChungChuns on Jefferson today and though the cashier sounded kind of annoyed at the number of items I ordered I had explained to him that I lived far from that location (despite working in the school division on that end) and then he told me that another location is opening, albeit on Osborne...well it kind of closer but not close enough for me to want to take any trips there in the winter, however this means the business is catching on maybe it will open another location 

The Osborne location has opened its easier to get to but the hours suck (they don't open til 2 pm)

On 2023-09-08 at 6:59 PM, iHeart said:

Winnipeg is now without a dinner theatre they have opted to close instead of paying the workers granted I don't think I have gone since 2017 (I can't remember if my last show was rock n roll Heaven or Downton Abbey Road)

May be an image of text

What a bummer,  my kids loved going to see the shows they did for the kids.    

1 hour ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Trying the North Star Drive-in burger today. Im sure itll be a homerun. Their burgers are awesome.

Didnt end up getting it but disappointed non the less. They open at 11:30(which is late for a burger joint to begin with), so i call at 11:30 on the button to place my order. She answers, i tell her my order, she stops me and says "actually were prepping right now so call us back at 12:00". Huh?? Youre not even interested in taking my order? I have to call you back? Your website says your open at 11:30, you answer the phone at 11:30, but youre not ready to take orders?? Heres an idea: Get there at 11:00 and start your f***ing prep so youre ready to take orders at 11:30 WHEN YOU OPEN. Needless to say i went somewhere else in the limited time i have to eat during work hours. Very disappointed in a place that ive always spoken very highly of.

On 2023-09-08 at 11:58 AM, FrostyWinnipeg said:

The maker of extremely spicy tortilla chips marketed as the “One Chip Challenge” is pulling the product from shelves after a mother said her teenage son died of complications from consuming a single chip. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/one-chip-challenge-pulled-shelves-teen-death-rcna103906

and right now I'm questioning why Snak Trap has it in stock (I never buy Chips from import places)

Edited by iHeart

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

We ended up trying Leopolds on Henderson Hwy and the burger was dried out and very bland.     We also went to Jonseys and the burger is nothing really fancy but it was made perfectly and I can see why they are currently #4 in the country for Le Burger week.    That place is always a safe bet.  

I don't know about other locations but the everyday burger at Leo's Bridgwater is a hockey puck along the line of a frozen patty that you can buy at the grocery store.