Restaurant/food thread

iHeart

Bonanza was another popular one. All you could eat shrimp and salad bar. And soft serve ice cream! I always wanted to do the Barney Gumble under the ice cream spigot. Of course this was well before Barney existed lol...

Edited by kelownabomberfan

3 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Shocked Chi-Chi's not make the list.

It was a chain restaurant that was across North America so not really special to only Winnipeg. 

I was surprised that Gasthaus Gutenburger wasn't on the list.  That place is sorely missed and Winnipeg definitely could use a real german restaurant.  

15 hours ago, Brandon said:

It was a chain restaurant that was across North America so not really special to only Winnipeg. 

I was surprised that Gasthaus Gutenburger wasn't on the list.  That place is sorely missed and Winnipeg definitely could use a real german restaurant.  

I feel full just reading that name!  Used to go there for work lunches every so often and never left extremely satisfied and extremely unproductive for the rest of the day. Definitely could have used an afternoon nap on those days! 😂 

47 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

I know my dad is missing a place to get a good rouladen.

St Pierre used to have a great home made place called Oma's that sadly also closed down.

I've had a co worker who has gone to Winkler and tried out Ralph's German Restaurant and said that it was authentic and really good.   They also appear to have Rouladen.

268851682_7143508312329564_1601967593525

53 minutes ago, Brandon said:

St Pierre used to have a great home made place called Oma's that sadly also closed down.

I've had a co worker who has gone to Winkler and tried out Ralph's German Restaurant and said that it was authentic and really good.   They also appear to have Rouladen.

I can attest first hand how good it is,and the portions are massive. Highly recommend it.

On 2024-04-29 at 1:10 PM, Brandon said:

Oma's was fantastic and definitely worth the drive from Niverville. 

Knowing what the cashier at Snak Trap told me today when I went (the store's interior has kind of shrunk it kind of reminds me too much of Tee-Yah's) I can kind of understand why the guy that founded Kelvin's Perk goes to the US to get his normal stock himself, because the Snak trap cashier told me that yes the Spray cheese is in demand but it's like 7 bucks a can....and the import places in Winnipeg usually have different suppliers

5 hours ago, bustamente said:

So Starbuck's is going to "temporarily" close their OV location.

I imagine it will be permanent. Starbucks seems to be going to the mobile/drive thru model, plus they allegedly have concerns about crime in the area.

2 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I imagine it will be permanent. Starbucks seems to be going to the mobile/drive thru model, plus they allegedly have concerns about crime in the area.

Oh there is plenty of crime in the area but I don't know if it's worse than other area's of the city

Red Lobster has Hush Puppies as a side menu item for a limited time.....I tried them and they were kind of unremarkable I mean I'm glad I tried them but I don't think I would order something like that again

4 hours ago, iHeart said:

Red Lobster has Hush Puppies as a side menu item for a limited time.....I tried them and they were kind of unremarkable I mean I'm glad I tried them but I don't think I would order something like that again

Get them soon,  Red Lobster may be filing for bankruptcy any day now from losing money on the endless shrimp promotion.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/red-lobster-bankruptcy-shrimp-promotion-b2539356.html

3 hours ago, iHeart said:

why do I have a feeling that even if they do recover from this they're going to discontinue Endless Shrimp

Well considering they are bleeding massive amounts of money each week they offer it....

We checked out Firehouse Subs off of Regent this afternoon,  we stopped by at noon and the line up was 25 long so we came back an hour later.  Much more quiet at that point with only 3 customers in front of us,  it ended up taking  25 minutes to get our subs.   I assume things will speed up once staff is more experienced.   The subs just like the other location are massive in size and really tasty.  I think most people would be completely stuffed with the smaller size sub ,  it's really dense and full of meat.    

I also noticed two doors down next to Bar Burrito that a place called "Boustan" is coming soon.   Yet ANOTHER shawarma place opening up... it's funny that for years we had none and within the last 3 or so years 5 places have opened up.     When I saw the sign I thought it was a mini Boston Pizza... it had the same colors,  almost the same name,  a logo with what looked like was a pizza slice,  and a similar font.     While it's nice getting new things... I think this area is covered with enough middle eastern food restaurants.   The area could really use a Jimmy The Greek or Thai Express.  

2Bw4rID.jpeg