What to do about the D?

White Out

1 minute ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Hey... just a quick suggestion- maybe take this **** to PM so we can keep some class on this site. You're bringing us all down.

The same way you could've just PM'd me with your suggestion... Chippy's MO on this forum is well documented and I defended myself accordingly when he made irrational comments fueled by his obvious hatred for Ryan Lankford. I merely pointed out what Lankford did on Saturday, which shouldn't have elicited the pitiful replies it did.

Speaking of suggestions, you could just ignore the posts on here that bring you down. ;)

On 9/8/2017 at 1:58 PM, Goalie said:

I think if oshea has one flaw... Its he trusts lapo and hall 2 much. Poop is probably a Hall decision... Lankford over Thorpe is probably more Lapo. 

Well, given that Lapolice has been pretty consistently good here, I don't think that's a bad thing.  Hall on the other hand ... well it was good to see us generate some turnovers to finally put the riders on their back this last game, but that there is also a problem that when this D doesn't generate the turnovers, opponents have no fear of throwing anywhere on our field.

11 hours ago, USABomberfan said:

Well, given that Lapolice has been pretty consistently good here, I don't think that's a bad thing.  Hall on the other hand ... well it was good to see us generate some turnovers to finally put the riders on their back this last game, but that there is also a problem that when this D doesn't generate the turnovers, opponents have no fear of throwing anywhere on our field.

Lapo has been Lapo.. Predictable. 

Hes been fired here a few times already... For a reason. 

27 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Lapo has been Lapo.. Predictable. 

Hes been fired here a few times already... For a reason. 

Twice before, once as a head coach. And that was only because the GM needed someone to throw under the bus, anyway.

LaPolice is a solid OC, as evidenced by the team's offensive production this season.

16 minutes ago, Goalie said:

unspectacular

Since Winnipeg Gordo isn't here, I'll post this for him - 

Winnipeg Gordo - Fun Fact: With 380 points in 11 games the #Bombers have already scored more points than the '12, '13 and '15 teams did in 18 games.

This is the unspectacular Paul LaPolice...

EDIT - Oops, I see he is here. The point stands though
Edited by Mr Dee

16 hours ago, MOBomberFan said:

I just noticed that the league average for kickoff returns currently stands at 22.1 yards. Bombers lead the league with an average of 23.5 yards. Why would we be unhappy with 25 yard returns on the regular?

Because our average starting field position on kickoffs is lower than average.  This is based on where kickoffs are placed.  Teams kick short to Finch, Rainey, even Logan.  No fear of Lankford they just let fly and let him run them out of bounds at the 30.

11 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Twice before, once as a head coach. And that was only because the GM needed someone to throw under the bus, anyway.

LaPolice is a solid OC, as evidenced by the team's offensive production this season.

It wasn't only that, he got saddled with a QB who couldn't complete a season on the field, another one who had a noodle arm, and another who liked to chuck it up in high coverage areas.  As a head coach if you're having to juggle QBs like that, it's going to detract mightily from what you can do on the field.

Let him focus on calling the plays and give him a QB who can pull all the levers like Nichols, and his offenses can compete with Dave Dickensons.

2 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

It wasn't only that, he got saddled with a QB who couldn't complete a season on the field, another one who had a noodle arm, and another who liked to chuck it up in high coverage areas.  As a head coach if you're having to juggle QBs like that, it's going to detract mightily from what you can do on the field.

Let him focus on calling the plays and give him a QB who can pull all the levers like Nichols, and his offenses can compete with Dave Dickensons.

Lapos problem isn't with his players, it's with his own attitude. Dickenson will always have a better offense because Dave Dickenson knows when to go for it and when to play safe. Lapo doesn't, he over complicates things and it leads to a lot of wasted potential. 

Just now, 17to85 said:

Lapos problem isn't with his players, it's with his own attitude. Dickenson will always have a better offense because Dave Dickenson knows when to go for it and when to play safe. Lapo doesn't, he over complicates things and it leads to a lot of wasted potential

What wasted potential?  Care to enlighten us all on that?

2 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

What wasted potential?  Care to enlighten us all on that?

Well for example having Medlock kick far and away more field goals than anyone else. Score touchdowns instead of field goals right? Or when he was head coach the team would always play just well enough to barely lose. Be a bit more aggressive and some of those losses turn into wins. That is wasted potential. 

Just now, 17to85 said:

Well for example having Medlock kick far and away more field goals than anyone else. Score touchdowns instead of field goals right? Or when he was head coach the team would always play just well enough to barely lose. Be a bit more aggressive and some of those losses turn into wins. That is wasted potential. 

This is Mike O'Shea's call.  Personally I think he trusted Medlock's leg could hit it in the BC WSF last year but unfortunately he didn't.  But it is MOS's call whether or not to go for it on 3rd down or not.

As to what he did as HC, I already explained he was working with mediocre to bad QBs.  Not a single one of those guys even come close to Nichols' talent.  Sure I thought he was a bit too conservative at times as a HC, but I still say he got some overachievements out of Brink and Elliot whose careers were short-lived otherwise.

9 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Lapos problem isn't with his players, it's with his own attitude. Dickenson will always have a better offense because Dave Dickenson knows when to go for it and when to play safe. Lapo doesn't, he over complicates things and it leads to a lot of wasted potential. 

Even though the Bombers' offense is statistically better than the Stampeders' this season...?

23 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

This is Mike O'Shea's call.  Personally I think he trusted Medlock's leg could hit it in the BC WSF last year but unfortunately he didn't.  But it is MOS's call whether or not to go for it on 3rd down or not.

As to what he did as HC, I already explained he was working with mediocre to bad QBs.  Not a single one of those guys even come close to Nichols' talent.  Sure I thought he was a bit too conservative at times as a HC, but I still say he got some overachievements out of Brink and Elliot whose careers were short-lived otherwise.

I am not talking about going for it on 3rd down or not, I am talking about some of the super passive play calling that leads to getting into 3rd down situations in the first place. 

Let's be honest here, Brink and Elliott weren't the only qbs he had. He had Pierce and Jyles to start with and didn't accomplish much with them. 

Lapo is a smart man I've said that before and he can come up with a good play books, his problem has always been with his play calling. He's just not good enough at it. You don't remember all of us here screaming for Khari to call the plays when Lapo was first here? No lack of talent on that team and the play calling was still suspect. 

I am one who doesn't particularly like LaPo  as an OC. With that said however I have seen an evolution of sorts this year. Particularly last game we did throw the ball downfield more than all year which suggests to me that he is trying to stretch the field so his 3 - 4 yard passes have a little more room for success. So I am not terribly unhappy with him to date.

On another note he was the OC here after Rick Worman developed an offense that I believe was #1 in the league. I believe it was the first year of Charlie Roberts. Worman was fired the following year because Roberts didn't want to play in his system hence LaPo got his first crack at OC in Winnipeg. His offense, which was actually Worman's was awesome however in the next two years dropped off considerably and he was fired. He came back as HC some years later and has been suggested here had some issues with QBs but was not the OC...that was another person's responsibility. However he still called the shots and was tentative and as also been stated tried to win while trying not to lose. He to this day still shows some of those tendencies and when they get up by a TD or 2 they are on full display instead of putting the foot on the throat of the opposition. 

Is our offense good enough to win this year...I think they are close.....is our defense....no where close and that has been the case for the past 3 years or more and can be attributed to Hall's scheming. 

On 2017-09-11 at 10:43 AM, blue_gold_84 said:

The same way you could've just PM'd me with your suggestion... Chippy's MO on this forum is well documented and I defended myself accordingly when he made irrational comments fueled by his obvious hatred for Ryan Lankford. I merely pointed out what Lankford did on Saturday, which shouldn't have elicited the pitiful replies it did.

Speaking of suggestions, you could just ignore the posts on here that bring you down. ;)

I am perfectly entitled to dislike any player and if you exaggerate the positives of a player like Langford, I am allowed to call you out on it. As for any "MO" that I have, if I think a player is bad or a decision is bad, I'm going to say something. It's a discussion forum. Seems to me based on your defence of players like Lankford and Okpalaugo that your eye for who is playing well and who is playing poorly is questionable at best. 

You seemed to want to turn this into something personal beyond just a discussion about football. Fundamentally I think Lankford is terrible and you don't. I'm happy to leave it at that. 

5 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I am not talking about going for it on 3rd down or not, I am talking about some of the super passive play calling that leads to getting into 3rd down situations in the first place. 

Let's be honest here, Brink and Elliott weren't the only qbs he had. He had Pierce and Jyles to start with and didn't accomplish much with them. 

Lapo is a smart man I've said that before and he can come up with a good play books, his problem has always been with his play calling. He's just not good enough at it. You don't remember all of us here screaming for Khari to call the plays when Lapo was first here? No lack of talent on that team and the play calling was still suspect. 

Of course he didn't accomplish much with him cuz he always got hurt.

Pierce, Brink, Jyles, Elliot ... every single one of them are below Nichols talent.  QB does make a difference.  I would think most people should know that after the switch and subsequent letting go of Drew Willy last year.

I'm going to hammer this home, that what Lapo did as a HC 4-5 years ago has no bearing on what he's doing now.

7 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

I am perfectly entitled to dislike any player and if you exaggerate the positives of a player like Langford, I am allowed to call you out on it. As for any "MO" that I have, if I think a player is bad or a decision is bad, I'm going to say something. It's a discussion forum. Seems to me based on your defence of players like Lankford and Okpalaugo that your eye for who is playing well and who is playing poorly is questionable at best. 

You seemed to want to turn this into something personal beyond just a discussion about football. Fundamentally I think Lankford is terrible and you don't. I'm happy to leave it at that. 

A day later and still can't let it go... Your reading comprehension is honestly embarrassing, BTW. The only one who turned this personal was the guy who made snide, childish retorts and jumped to nonsensical conclusions based on nothing substantial, simply because I pointed out Lankford's numbers. Seems to me you can't be bothered to correctly read what others post, so there's nothing else worth discussing with someone like you. If what I post bothers you so much, here's an idea: ignore it and move on.

You can think whatever you want about me. You're "perfectly entitled" to it. :lol:

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Because our average starting field position on kickoffs is lower than average.  This is based on where kickoffs are placed.  Teams kick short to Finch, Rainey, even Logan.  No fear of Lankford they just let fly and let him run them out of bounds at the 30.

This sounds logical to me. Unfortunately I don't know where to verify those numbers. Can I find average starting field position following a kickoff on cfldb.ca? Or is this more of a 'feels true' statement than an 'is true' statement? I don't have a horse in this race, I just like to know the facts.

23 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

A day later and still can't let it go... Your reading comprehension is honestly embarrassing, BTW. The only one who turned this personal was the guy who made snide, childish retorts and jumped to nonsensical conclusions based on nothing substantial, simply because I pointed out Lankford's numbers. Seems to me you can't be bothered to correctly read what others post, so there's nothing else worth discussing with someone like you. If what I post bothers you so much, here's an idea: ignore it and move on.

You can think whatever you want about me. You're "perfectly entitled" to it. :lol:

Are you insane? I made a snide comment only in response to you overreacting to Lankford's mediocre game. And if anything, that post offended you so much that it caused you to go off the rails completely. 

Just as you said you were "defending yourself" from my brutal attacks on Lankford, I am defending myself from your attacks on me. 

2 hours ago, USABomberfan said:

I'm going to hammer this home, that what Lapo did as a HC 4-5 years ago has no bearing on what he's doing now.

Except that the problems with Lapo are the exact same as they were when he was head coach and are the exact same as they were the first time as when he was OC the first time around. The guy is a loser as a play caller and we will always have close games with him here because he doesn't have that killer instinct as a play caller and after this much time I doubt he ever will. 

The fact that the team has put up good numbers is all well and good, but the numbers could be better and we are leaving too much to chance by keeping games as close as they are. It's not all on the D, the O lets other teams get back into games a hell of a lot as well either by getting into their fits of 2 and outs or by kicking field goals instead of putting touchdowns on the board.