Commissioner gets it right

Booch

Scoring and turnovers are reviewed automatically, so I like this change

There aren't multiple blatant missed PI calls during a game, and if there is one you feel may effect the outcome of a game, then challenge it. The ones that are fishing expeditions with no bearing on a play I am glad will no longer be challenged. Same with the border line RTP calls which were getting ridiculous too...if it's not blatantly obvious in live action, then let it go....each team used to benefit from these stupid challenges, now each team won't get to which is fair to all, better for the game and allows more flow. Games were played for decades with no challenges and it still worked and a missed call now can be part of folklore and history for fans to bemoan and discuss for years and years

It will really show now who the good coaches are and who can make best advantage of their challenge. 

Just now, Atomic said:

Fixing the symptom rather than the cause.  Terrible solution.  Hate it.

Reffing problems are at an all-time high and their solution is to remove the teams' ability to challenge bad calls.  They couldn't have possibly got this more wrong and it won't take long to see why.

Then what do you propose they do about illegal contact fishing expeditions?  The coaches are the ones who have forced the CFL's hand on this.  

5 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

IMHO they need to eliminate challenges altogether and just put a direct comm link between the ref and command center and each play they are talking over potential missed calls or wrong calls. for example play happens,  refs miss an illegal contact or something,  CC radios in saying they noticed an infraction between #XX and #XX,  flag gets tossed.  Or ref makes a call,  CC looks it over quickly, and if they see if was wrong radio that in and the ref tosses his flag saying there is no infraction..etc

This 100%, something like the TMO from rugby. Ear piece with direct communication between the head ref and TMO at all times, TMO can confirm any penalty call, points scored, or turnover, and can call any flagrant penalties noticeable from the camera view that aren't always easily noticeable at field level.

2 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

Then what do you propose they do about illegal contact fishing expeditions?  The coaches are the ones who have forced the CFL's hand on this.  

Remove challenges on illegal contact, but allow them for PI.

If the rule cannot be enforced consistently, then it is not a well-defined rule and certainly not challengeable.

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

Scoring and turnovers are reviewed automatically, so I like this change

There aren't multiple blatant missed PI calls during a game, and if there is one you feel may effect the outcome of a game, then challenge it. The ones that are fishing expeditions with no bearing on a play I am glad will no longer be challenged. Same with the border line RTP calls which were getting ridiculous too...if it's not blatantly obvious in live action, then let it go....each team used to benefit from these stupid challenges, now each team won't get to which is fair to all, better for the game and allows more flow. Games were played for decades with no challenges and it still worked and a missed call now can be part of folklore and history for fans to bemoan and discuss for years and years

It will really show now who the good coaches are and who can make best advantage of their challenge. 

Who cares about PI or RTP?  

What about fumble/down by contact? Catch/no catch?  Many of these don't happen on turnovers or scoring plays.  They are getting these wrong every game and unless they are giving more power to the "eye in the sky" to initiate reviews this is a brutal move towards officials deciding outcomes.

One of the ongoing problems the review system promoted, unintentionally, was the constant 'fishing' for unrelated calls. This will drastically reduce that.

As for the calls on the field and the video reviews by the C'Mon Centre, well, as if that is going to change overnight. You're always going to get iffy calls by the refs, and you're going to get calls that are misconstrued by the Centre, OR by the fans.

This change by the League Office doesn't solve every issue, but unlike past administrations, they heard the fans, and talked to the teams involved, and are acting upon a sore spot.

There is nothing to say that further remedial action won't be taken in the near future.

Edited by Mr Dee

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

it just goes back to th way it was in football...some calls get missed...you move on...for every bad miss against a team they will get a bad miss for them

I don't know.  Just wait.  When a team has a blatant missed catch and has to challenge to get it right, and then it happens AGAIN in a critical moment but the coaches can't challenge because they already used it on a legitimately bad call.  I think that will make fans even more upset than what we've seen so far.

n 2006, the NCAA Football Rules Committee enacted instant replay guidelines and added them to the football playing rules. For games involving two schools from the same conference, league policy determines whether replay will be used. For non-conference games, the home team makes the determination.

Plays involving the sideline, goal line, end zone and end line, as well as other detectable situations, are reviewable (e.g., fumble/no fumble, pass complete/incomplete, touchdown/no touchdown, runner down/not down, player or ball inbounds/out of bounds, clock adjustments). Most fouls (e.g., holding, offside, pass interference) are not reviewable, except that in 2006, illegal forward passes, handoffs and punts from beyond the line of scrimmage, and too many players on the field are reviewable and the foul may be called after replay review. Also, while the foul of pass interference is not reviewable, it can be overturned on review based on touching of the pass. By rule, pass interference cannot apply if a pass has been touched by any player before the foul occurs, and the touching of a pass is a reviewable play at its conclusion from a secure booth in the press box. Most plays are routine and the game continues without interruption. If, however, the following criteria are met, the Replay Official may interrupt the contest by paging the game officials to stop the game before the next play starts. The criteria are:

• There is reasonable evidence to believe an error was made in the initial on-field ruling.
  • The play is reviewable.
  • Any reversal of the on-field ruling, which can only result from indisputable video evidence, would have a direct, competitive impact on the game.

Once per game, each head coach may also call a timeout and challenge the ruling on the previous play before the next play starts. A coach must have at least one timeout remaining in order to challenge (teams receive three timeouts per half). If the challenge is successful and the on-field ruling is overturned, the team keeps its timeout and is allowed only one more challenge. If unsuccessful, the team loses its timeout and is allowed no more challenges.

After reviewing the play from available video angles, the Replay Official decides if the call should be upheld or overturned. If the call is overturned, the Replay Official provides the proper information to restart the game, such as the team in possession, the yardline where the ball should be placed, the correct down and distance, and the correct time on the stadium clock. Should there have been an official score change, the score will be changed again, resulting in the original score.

Although I think NCAA has the review process down the best.

They should have either just straight up got rid of challenging penalties, or instituted a 10+ yard delay of game penalty if you challenge PI, illegal contact, or RTP and fail. In FG position and want to fish for a PI call to keep the drive going? You better be god damn sure it was a missed penalty or you're now out of field goal range.

1 minute ago, Booch said:

it just goes back to th way it was in football...some calls get missed...you move on...for every bad miss against a team they will get a bad miss for them

This is it. Did he make that catch?, was it a fumble? Etc. Doesn't matter. Video review did not always correct those calls...so what's the point? It will be up to the Coaches now to pick and choose their moments and live with their decisions. 

I wouldn't be opposed to keeping the challenge if the first one was successful. And, by the way, has that actually been established yet, or not?

Either way, the League is listening, and by gum, they'll keep shooting themselves in the foot until they get it right.

And, in case nobody noticed, the fans are reacting...

This is a step in the right direction, but far from a solution to the underlying problem - officials missing the obvious calls.

Like JBR said before, that BS "catch" in BC that O'Shea had to challenge just to get it overturned should never happen. If the command center can initiate a review, those are the instances why and the fact that they didn't highlights the larger problem.

The issue with the Glen Johnson is one that I remain hopeful gets rectified in the off season once Ambrosie has a little more time to evaluate. We know he needs to go, but I doubt Ambrosie is going to come in guns-a-blazin' and just start firing people.

1 minute ago, Booch said:

just like it was in the good old days...lol...at least you get one to use..so use it wisely. I played for 20 years of my life without it and it was all good..You ***** and moan, and move on...

Kind of a silly position IMO.  Used to finish a game concussed too, or play the next one.  

If there is a tool to prevent or fix HUGE mistakes, why wouldn't they use it?  They should use it, they just have to refine the process and close the loopholes.

Maybe broadcasting the games is bringing too much scrutiny.  Radio only, like the good ol' days.

15 minutes ago, Booch said:

So then why keep 1 review per team or the automatic reviews on turn overs and scoring plays? If we're going back to the old ways then let's go back and not try this stupid half ass solution they have now. 

The CFL makes too make knee jerk reactions and it only leads to more problems. If they would take their time and think about things before making changes they wouldn't have to constantly be putting out fires. 

I can see the merits of both sides of the equation here but I think they should make an amendment that if you use your challenge and its correct, you keep it for a total of 2 per game.  if you challenge and lose, its gone.  

as I too can see scenarios unfolding where a catch/no catch is challenged and overturned... then next quarter you got a fumble/no fumble and now are at the mercy of the officials making the correct call if its not a scoring play..

I'd really like to know what the structure of the command center is, if it's just one guy

5 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

So then why keep 1 review per team or the automatic reviews on turn overs and scoring plays? If we're going back to the old ways then let's go back and not try this stupid half ass solution they have now. 

The CFL makes too make knee jerk reactions and it only leads to more problems. If they would take their time and think about things before making changes they wouldn't have to constantly be putting out fires. 

Ambrosie is showing initiative, no reason to believe that he won't address the problem in more detail in the off-season.

Generally, I'm in favour of this.   To be honest though, I would have been just as happy to see them make PI and Illegal Contact non-challengable, and leave the coaches with 2 challenges for catch/fumble/out of bounds situations, replenished if they are correct.     Challenging PI and Illegal contact, along with Roughing the Passer is what has dramatically slowed the game down.  As was said earlier, there is no doubt in my mind that coaches designed plays to create contact knowing that they could challenge for illegal contact on a play.   It was getting silly.

I was thinking the other day of the cost/benefits of the challenges, and I think that in general, I enjoyed the game more in the pre-review days.

Once again, officiating in this league, and every other league, will never satisfy the common fan. No two fans can always agree on a particular call on the field. Is the bloody ref always wrong in that split second decision he makes that irritates the fans??

But the real problem was focusing on reviews that were supposed to correct questionable calls, and most people feel that didn't happen. 

Look at what's happening right here on this board. There is no consensus on the merits of this League call. Some approve, some hate it. Kind of reminds me of real games where the concensus on on-field calls and reviews are split a lot of the time.

Personally, I'm glad they didn't wait until next year to "take a look"  at the situation.

This is one review they got right. It's at least, moving in the right direction.