Looking Ahead: Montreal Vs Winnipeg

O'Shea will never say publicly what's being said inside the corners of the lockerroom. He is a former player and a player's coach. He will not throw anyone under the bus. Media (like Wiecek) and some fans never learn. It doesnt mean that you dont hear it it's not being talked about or discussed inside the locker room.

Edited by M.O.A.B.

1290 radio 'the afternoon ride approx. 1 hour :24 into the show

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/winnipeg-1290/the-afternoon-ride-july-26th-2017-1.814718

First of all, this wasn't from a 'chat' with Mike O'Shea, but rather Bauming's answer to a question posed to him as a call in guest.

The questionHow do think Mike O'Shea has handled the heat about his decision making on Friday night this week?

Bauming -  "he's handled it about as"expectedly" as we could assume and he's never been somebody that will admit he made a mistake,... he's never been somebody who would say we were wrong, we'll learn from it and move on. He'll simply say it was my call.....

Then he goes on to talk about O'Shea's decision to fake that punt, so I'm not quite sure Bauming understands everything that went on in that series..

On Carmichael - what can be gleaned from that talk with Bauming is this team has faith and confidence in Carmichael and that he will continue to get better every single week,...he hasn't reached his ceiling yet....and yes, they want to see all that he's got.

16 hours ago, tracker said:

Go to the 1290 archives and you can hear it verbatim. The gist was that O'Shea doesn't admit when he/the team has made an obvious mistake and say something like, "We made a mistake. We'll learn from it and move on." It's just ignored, and that may be why we have had so many instances like the Drew Willy era where the coaching staff didn't seem to learn.

If you're trying to suggest that the team completely ignores mistakes and does not make adjustments to improve.... that's complete bullshit...

Again, people seem to think that because the team doesn't air grievances publicly, then it's not being done at all. Without a doubt, there's a lot of screaming and yelling that goes on, and they make sure **** gets fixed (or at least they try to fix it).....but you don't air anything in public. Everything stays within the walls of the offices/meeting rooms......which is how it should be.

Just now, Noeller said:

Again, people seem to think that because the team doesn't air grievances publicly, then it's not being done at all. Without a doubt, there's a lot of screaming and yelling that goes on, and they make sure **** gets fixed (or at least they try to fix it).....but you don't air anything in public. Everything stays within the walls of the offices/meeting rooms......which is how it should be.

agreed.  and to suggest O'shea never admits mistakes... its laughable because he does, all the time.  takes the blame for miscues in the games or bad decisions..

I don't understand the witch hunt this team has to go thru via the media over every negative angle they can find and I also can't believe bomber fans actually swallow this drivel and repeat it like its truth..

1 hour ago, bearpants said:

If you're trying to suggest that the team completely ignores mistakes and does not make adjustments to improve.... that's complete bullshit...

Your quarrel is with Bauming. I cannot fully disagree with him, and last year at this time was some evidence that O'Shea is slow to learn.

When someone says they are learning from something the implication is that it was a mistake. You don't learn anything if everything works. If you listen to pressers MOS says all the time mistakes were made. He always takes responsibility. 

MOS is just part of the Bomber in house management development team.  There are a few retreads but look at all the coaches and manager  where this is their first job in that position. Whether it is line coach, QB coach, Head Coach or GM. Everyone is building. The team is building. It is not a finished product. Better times are ahead. Today is going to be one of those better times. I can feel it. I feel like scratching a big W on my chest with a rusty nail. Lets go.  

OK maybe I will just shake my fist in the air, put on a hat and go outside for a walk.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Conversely, everyone would be bitching if he went all Chris Jones/Mike Kelly and aired everything out via the media. Some people's minds are made up and nothing MOS can do will change that.

1 hour ago, Nash00 said:

Conversely, everyone would be bitching if he went all Chris Jones/Mike Kelly and aired everything out via the media. Some people's minds are made up and nothing MOS can do will change that.

exactly.  for whatever reason, Oshea has rubbed certain people the wrong way and nothing short of a GC and an unblemished record from here on out will be enough to satisfy them..  I can't really understand it.  the guys done nothing but improve since being brought in as HC, has been mentioned as the reason why some guys chose to come or resign here, improved our ST to a very high level and has the team playing for each other and for him..

people act like  hes been at this for ever and should be amazing but forget this is first official gig as an HC and that he really was dropped into an unfriendly situation.. he wasn't gifted a turn-key GC level team like Jones was in EDM..

Edited by SPuDS

It's not that O'Shea has rubbed people the wrong way nor will it take an unblemished record and a GC to satisfy folks who don't consider O'Shea to be a great or even good HC.

All you have to do is look at his current record to figure out why some folks don't love MOS. He's in his 4th year and still below .500. He had 1 winning year in his first 3. He hasn't won a playoff game yet or got us to a home playoff game. His choices of coordinators leaves a lot to be desired as does his in game decision making. 

54 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

It's not that O'Shea has rubbed people the wrong way nor will it take an unblemished record and a GC to satisfy folks who don't consider O'Shea to be a great or even good HC.

All you have to do is look at his current record to figure out why some folks don't love MOS. He's in his 4th year and still below .500. He had 1 winning year in his first 3. He hasn't won a playoff game yet or got us to a home playoff game. His choices of coordinators leaves a lot to be desired as does his in game decision making. 

From what I see, O' Shea has improved year over year and hopefully will continue to do so. There is something to be said for organizational stability and I think that plays a large role in FA signings and player retention.

O' Shea is not without his failings and definitely has room to improve as an HC, but I see him as a coach on the rise and personally I am thankful that he is our coach as I believe that he is the guy that can lead us going forward. You see what he does for his players and there is no doubt that they way he conducts himself to them has a positive impact and plays a huge role in guys like Westerman and Okpaulaugo coming here and a guy like Chungh who some thought would bolt the second he could hit FA signing an extension.

5 hours ago, Noeller said:

This is the exact same excuse we heard when Kuale was getting destroyed week after week. 

That bull**** just doesn't cut it for me personally. 

Even last year, part of the reason we got good was luck. O'Shea had no intention of benching Neufeld & Macho Harris for Loffler & Bond. Injuries forced his hand.

Edited by Blueandgold

1 hour ago, SPuDS said:

exactly.  for whatever reason, Oshea has rubbed certain people the wrong way and nothing short of a GC and an unblemished record from here on out will be enough to satisfy them..  I can't really understand it.  the guys done nothing but improve since being brought in as HC, has been mentioned as the reason why some guys chose to come or resign here, improved our ST to a very high level and has the team playing for each other and for him..

people act like  hes been at this for ever and should be amazing but forget this is first official gig as an HC and that he really was dropped into an unfriendly situation.. he wasn't gifted a turn-key GC level team like Jones was in EDM..

The same can be said for Dickenson in CGY, the team he inherited was built to win immediately. MOS/Walters took a team in shambles and has markedly improved each year. While I still have reservations that Nichols is THE guy to take us to the Grey Cup, this team is showing that they can compete with the upper echelon teams (save for CGY, those bastards) and that wasn't the case two years ago.

57 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

He was a rookie HC, does anyone give that any consideration? How about the tire fire that he inherited from the time he was named HC?  As for his coordinators, who would you have picked over the guys he currently has on his staff (from the guys that were available, no pipe dreams..)  you can't just look at his record and go "Oh, hes complete garbage!"  you have to look at all the variables in place..

Hes also steadily improved since he was brought in.  he hasn't jaded the fan base nor the media like others have.. he has players wanting to play for him and going to battle for him..  I'm simply astounded I need to explain this to people lol.   

but by all means, O'shea detractors can continue to base their opinions off of some myopic, one-dimensional stat line..

2 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

This is the exact same excuse we heard when Kuale was getting destroyed week after week. 

Even last year, part of the reason we got good was luck. O'Shea had no intention of benching Neufeld & Macho Harris for Loffler & Bond. Injuries forced his hand.

I don't think it was reasonable to expect a rookie like Loffler to come in and play like he did, let alone start him week 1. All credit to Loffler who stepped up when he got his opportunity but I think it people would have had knives out for MOS if he started a 3rd round pick Canadian S on opening night.

Just now, Blueandgold said:

lol right. because you occupy space in his, Halls, and Lapo's minds.. right?

smh.

1 minute ago, Nash00 said:

I don't think it was reasonable to expect a rookie like Loffler to come in and play like he did, let alone start him week 1. All credit to Loffler who stepped up when he got his opportunity but I think it people would have had knives out for MOS if he started a 3rd round pick Canadian S on opening night.

Many people, myself included, wanted Loffler to start right out of the gate. Macho Harris was a terrible player who never should've been signed. 

Theres many more examples, such as Romby, Hurl & Greg Peach, of O'Shea sticking with players who aren't producing.

Many people, myself included, wanted Loffler to start right out of the gate. Macho Harris was a terrible player who never should've been signed. 

Theres many more examples, such as Romby, Hurl & Greg Peach, of O'Shea sticking with players who aren't producing.

and yet.. eventually they got replaced by better options when they became available.. like, O'sheas way of thinking changed or he evolved..

crazy concept eh.  learning on the fly and developing a better way to do things.. who'dathunk.

6 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

Loffler was an unproven rookie. In hindsight, it worked out exceptionally well for the team but let's not pretend like that's the rule.

Also, who would've you preferred to see in place of Romby and Peach, or even Kuale in previous seasons? It isn't like the roster was flush with depth when those players were here. Admittedly, Hurl's a bit of a head scratcher, though.

6 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Loffler was an unproven rookie. In hindsight, it worked out exceptionally well for the team but let's not pretend like that's the rule.

Also, who would've you preferred to see in place of Romby and Peach, or even Kuale in previous seasons? It isn't like the roster was flush with depth when those players were here. Admittedly, Hurl's a bit of a head scratcher, though.

Kuale was the worst of the bunch, inexplicably rotating with another player(Wild?) and committing three unnecessary roughness penalties against Saskatchewan. 

Hes easily, and this isn't hyperbole, the worst player we've continuously started in the last 15 years or so all things considered. Not only was he a bad player, he was undisciplined and committed atrocious penalties. This isn't with the benefit of hindsight either, I can't think of many people aside from the most severe homers who had anything positive to say about him whatsoever.

Edited by Blueandgold

Kuale was the worst of the bunch, inexplicably rotating with another player(Wild?) and committing three unnecessary roughness penalties against Saskatchewan. 

Hes easily, and this isn't hyperbole, the worst player we've continuously started in the last 15 years or so all considered. Not only was he a bad player, he was undisciplined and committed atrocious penalties. This isn't with the benefit of hindsight either, I can't think of many people aside from the most severe homers who had anything positive to say about him whatsoever.

Kuale might have been the most wrongest player ever to have been signed by the Bombers.

1 minute ago, Blueandgold said:

Hes easily, and this isn't hyperbole, the worst player we've continuously started in the last 15 years or so all things considered. Not only was he a bad player, he was undisciplined and committed atrocious penalties. This isn't with the benefit of hindsight either, I can't think of many people aside from the most severe homers who had anything positive to say about him whatsoever.

I don't remember him rotating with Wild, I do remember Kuale being absolutely awful to watch pretty much every single game, though.

All I'm saying is this: at the time when those respective players were on the team, I don't think there were better options on the roster. 2014 and 2015 were awful seasons from the overall roster quality standpoint.

I'll also say this, acknowledging the flaws of O'Shea and liking or disliking him aren't mutually exclusive things. I don't mind O'Shea, and I thought that once we struggled out of the gate last year and his job was on the line he really improved(aside from the god awful field goal attempt). 

What worries me, is that with some success and job security, he's reverting to his old ways. 

Edited by Blueandgold

14 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

thats quite the leap my friend.  I've seen some embarrassing players in blue and gold jerseys and Kuale, while not very good, was not nearly the worst we have fielded.