Odds and Sods - Bombers at BC Lions

10 minutes ago, lyin' guy said:

Call on who you need to, that ball never touched the goal line.  No way, no how.

Doesn't have to touch the goal line.....but it sure did break the plane above it..... 

10 minutes ago, lyin' guy said:

Call on who you need to, that ball never touched the goal line.  No way, no how.

Even from the angle inside the the end zone, the tip of the ball crossed the front plane of the goal line, so if that camera had been right on the goal line it would have been even more obvious that the ball crossed the plane.

https://www.cfl.ca/games/2389/#videos

At the 1:17 point you can see where the white stripe is on the ball and extrapolate where the point of the ball would be above the goal line.  This angle isn't directly down the line and it appears to be across, so moving the camera down the line would make it even more obvious.

6 minutes ago, Atomic said:

That was the best look I could get from the CFL recap.  On the second effort he goes up and out of the frame.

Yeah, that's too bad....'cause that second effort is definitely the one. He's well over, for sure...not even close to being in doubt.

22 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Well, I for one am SHOCKED that you thought the worst possible outcome for the Bombers....that's what makes you a real fan.

SHOCKED are you? :rolleyes: It wouldn't be the worst possible outcome. It wasn't 3rd down. It just would have made it 2nd and one, which we likely get anyway. 

On 2017-07-22 at 9:35 PM, J5V said:

This is the kind of thing I have been referring to. We seem willing to accept players like this instead of insisting only on players who are among the best in the league.

yes. walters and o'shea are willingly and purposely fielding sub-par DBs and LBs because thats what they would rather do then find legit defensive players who are studs.  I mean, its amazing that Johnson and Leggett are still on the field, them being so talented.. they should clearly be shelved for inferior players..

:rolleyes:

7 minutes ago, J5V said:

Yes, we're so loaded with stud players its a wonder our opponents dont just yield the games to us. :rolleyes:

you saying Leggett, Heath, Randle, Loffler, Westerman, Nevins and Johnson are not upper echelon players? What about Medlock?   I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be unemployed long if we cut them.   Hell, I dont think Wild, Alexander, Okopulgo or the rookie DE playing for Oko at the moment would last long on the open market either.  

our offensive line is one of the best in the league.. we have the best combo back in the league.  So, our average QB and somewhat average receivers are essentially the only spot where we can say we are "willingly" accepting sub-par performance.  Riddle me this batman, how would you correct that?  bring in players to push their spots?  we did that.  nobody adequately rose to the occasion..

So in synopsis, this theory that we are just oh so happy to sit on sub-par or mediocre players is a laugh.   We have upgraded a few spots on our team from last year.. stood pat at others which were not needed to be addressed..   By all means, feel free to refute this if you'd like to.  should be interesting to watch.

Edited by SPuDS

1 hour ago, SPuDS said:

you saying Leggett, Heath, Randle, Loffler, Westerman, Nevins and Johnson are not upper echelon players? What about Medlock?   I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be unemployed long if we cut them.   Hell, I dont think Wild, Alexander, Okopulgo or the rookie DE playing for Oko at the moment would last long on the open market either.  

our offensive line is one of the best in the league.. we have the best combo back in the league.  So, our average QB and somewhat average receivers are essentially the only spot where we can say we are "willingly" accepting sub-par performance.  Riddle me this batman, how would you correct that?  bring in players to push their spots?  we did that.  nobody adequately rose to the occasion..

So in synopsis, this theory that we are just oh so happy to sit on sub-par or mediocre players is a laugh.   We have upgraded a few spots on our team from last year.. stood pat at others which were not needed to be addressed..   By all means, feel free to refute this if you'd like to.  should be interesting to watch.

It would be nice if the O-line started playing like all-stars. Haven't seen them blow too many D-men off the line of scrimmage so far. They've done a good job of protecting Nichols for the most part.

6 hours ago, SPuDS said:

Good grief, Spuds. We just got torched for nearly 50 points against BC. Our O went 6 straight 2-and-outs when we needed them most on the way to blowing a greater than 2 TD lead. We're drooling over the prospect of getting Bruce Johnson back, a guy we regularly roasted here last year. Nichols is an average to below average QB and no, guys like Hurl, Carmichael, and Pat Neufeld don't excite me. Yes we have some *good* players, but your definition of stud and mine are obviously different. If Leggett, Heath, Randle, Loffler, Westerman, Nevi(n)s and Johnson, along with the others you mentioned, are your very best, upper echelon players, how do you explain the results? Coaching? Or are they studs too?

7 hours ago, SPuDS said:

So, our average QB and somewhat average receivers are essentially the only spot where we can say we are "willingly" accepting sub-par performance.  Riddle me this batman, how would you correct that?  bring in players to push their spots?  we did that.  nobody adequately rose to the occasion..

How do other teams do it?

Manny Arceneaux - signed as an undrafted free agent with the BC Lions of the Canadian Football League (CFL) in 2009

SJ Green -  slotback for the Toronto Argonauts, traded there by Montreal. He was signed by the Alouettes as a street free agent in 2007.

Adarius Bowman - was a Bomber but was released as not good enough. Was signed by Edmonton and is now an allstar

Bryan Burnham - signed as an undrafted free agent with the BC Lions in 2014

Greg Ellingson - upon entering free agency, Ellingson signed with the Ottawa Redblacks on February 11, 2015

Chris Williams - upon entering free agency, Williams signed a two-year contract with the BC Lions on February 17, 2017

Ernest Jackson -  is considered one of the best free agent wide receivers and signed a two-year contract with the Montreal Alouettes

Naaman Roosevelt - signed with the Saskatchewan Roughriders of the Canadian Football League on March 14, 2015

Marquay McDaniel - shortly after being released by Hamilton he signed with the Stampeders 

There are others like Toliver, Lewis, Shaw, Sinopoli, and DaVaris Daniels. I didn't include the headcase that is Duron Carter but, all these receivers and none of them found Winnipeg as a new home in spite of the player's coach and magnetic personality of MOS. Hard to figure.

6 hours ago, J5V said:

Manny Arceneaux - signed as an undrafted free agent with the BC Lions of the Canadian Football League (CFL) in 2009

SJ Green -  slotback for the Toronto Argonauts, traded there by Montreal. He was signed by the Alouettes as a street free agent in 2007.

Adarius Bowman - was a Bomber but was released as not good enough. Was signed by Edmonton and is now an allstar

Greg Ellingson - upon entering free agency, Ellingson signed with the Ottawa Redblacks on February 11, 2015

Chris Williams - upon entering free agency, Williams signed a two-year contract with the BC Lions on February 17, 2017

Ernest Jackson -  is considered one of the best free agent wide receivers and signed a two-year contract with the Montreal Alouettes

Naaman Roosevelt - signed with the Saskatchewan Roughriders of the Canadian Football League on March 14, 2015

Marquay McDaniel - shortly after being released by Hamilton he signed with the Stampeders 

There are others like Toliver, Lewis, Shaw, Sinopoli, and DaVaris Daniels. I didn't include the headcase that is Duron Carter but, all these receivers and none of them found Winnipeg as a new home in spite of the player's coach and magnetic personality of MOS. Hard to figure.

Ryan Smith

Weston Dressler

Clarence Denmark

Travis Moore

Rory Kohlert 

Romby Bryant

Aaron Kelly

Tori Gurley

^^^ All free agents who chose to sign here.  Is the receiver success due to the receiver, or is their success tied to the QB and the offensive production.

Just now, ALuCsRED said:

Ryan Smith

Weston Dressler

Clarence Denmark

Travis Moore

Rory Kohlert 

Romby Bryant

Aaron Kelly

Tori Gurley

^^^ All free agents who chose to sign here.  Is the receiver success due to the receiver, or is their success tied to the QB and the offensive production.

True, but once you get past Dressler and maybe Denmark, the pickings were pretty slim. Not too many all-stars.

7 hours ago, J5V said:

Other than BC you've named one receiver for each team.  OK here is the Bombers' receiver: Weston Dressler.  Or do the Bombers' receivers have to be equal to the entire league combined?

10 hours ago, J5V said:

Good grief, Spuds. We just got torched for nearly 50 points against BC. Our O went 6 straight 2-and-outs when we needed them most on the way to blowing a greater than 2 TD lead. We're drooling over the prospect of getting Bruce Johnson back, a guy we regularly roasted here last year. Nichols is an average to below average QB and no, guys like Hurl, Carmichael, and Pat Neufeld don't excite me. Yes we have some *good* players, but your definition of stud and mine are obviously different. If Leggett, Heath, Randle, Loffler, Westerman, Nevi(n)s and Johnson, along with the others you mentioned, are your very best, upper echelon players, how do you explain the results? Coaching? Or are they studs too?

So your entire point is a rookie DB who is only playing because of injuries, a backup OL who I don't think has seen the field at all this year and a canadian who is only starting because an american rookie came in and stole a spot that was ear marked for canadians and caused a ratio change?

Keep on reaching man, keep on reaching. 

The team is 2-2 with losses to teams that were widely expected to be among the top teams in the league, things are not nearly so dire as you make them seem.