Bombers Off-Season Transactions

Noeller

Rider fans worst  nightmare...Durant to Wpg. to buddy up with Dressler and Smith...lol...They're shared skitless that we're going to make a play for DD that they're cooking up every scenario and deal they can think of, to not have that happen....Latest one is DD to Mont. because he's good friends with Kavis 'consequences' Reed...With the cards the Als. are holding, I think our chances of signing Durant are a heckuva lot better...all things considered... IF we don't re-sign Nichols...

34 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Rider fans worst  nightmare...Durant to Wpg. to buddy up with Dressler and Smith...lol...They're shared skitless that we're going to make a play for DD that they're cooking up every scenario and deal they can think of, to not have that happen....Latest one is DD to Mont. because he's good friends with Kavis 'consequences' Reed...With the cards the Als. are holding, I think our chances of signing Durant are a heckuva lot better...all things considered... IF we don't re-sign Nichols...

that's what I'm betting on, actually....

6 hours ago, bearpants said:

The point you're missing is there's no "love affair".... he isn't the messiah ready to take over the CFL with his spectacular QBing skills... what he is, is a capable QB who WILL win us some football games... and unless you haven't been paying attention... we haven't had one of those in quite some time...

Nichols Haters be like, "I wish I could touch the sky". ;) 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

10 hours ago, Noeller said:

Luckily, the truth (and reality), are likely half way between what Goalie is posting, and what Nichols' agent is trying to sell Walters on. They'll make a deal...

No, not likely half way. Goalie was being kind to Nichols and didn't go far enough. Nichols is a below-average QB with crappy mechanics and a below average arm. A perfect match for our below average OC. The Bombers need to keep searching for a better OC and the next great Bomber QB. There's another Jones/Dunigan/Clements/Brock out there and Walters needs to find him and get him in here. I'm tired of this willingness on behalf of fans and management to settle for mediocre. I prefer to believe that mediocre is a temporary, not permanent, condition.

23 minutes ago, J5V said:

No, not likely half way. Goalie was being kind to Nichols and didn't go far enough. Nichols is a below-average QB with crappy mechanics and a below average arm. A perfect match for our below average OC. The Bombers need to keep searching for a better OC and the next great Bomber QB. There's another Jones/Dunigan/Clements/Brock out there and Walters needs to find him and get him in here. I'm tired of this willingness on behalf of fans and management to settle for mediocre. I prefer to believe that mediocre is a temporary, not permanent, condition.

You don't ask for much, do you? Is finding the next great qb out there something like picking blueberries?

12 hours ago, J5V said:

So you place no value on good, quick decisions, ball security, quick release and leadership?   Those are huge in the CFL. You can win a lot of games with that and if the other pieces are in place you can win it all.

29 minutes ago, JohnnyOnTheSpot said:

So you place no value on good, quick decisions, ball security, quick release and leadership?   Those are huge in the CFL. You can win a lot of games with that and if the other pieces are in place you can win it all.

Then the question is.....is he really worth 450K...I think most fans agree he is NOT....and so does the Bomber brass...That's not taking away from Matt's abilities....it's just being realistic.

Thing is, Since Nichols is a good system QB, if you pay him 450 000, who do you have to let go to give him that money? I mean, Darvin Adams is a free agent and so are several other important pieces on the team, I mean, let's just say they give Nichols his 450,000 (they won't) but assume they do, Where do you find the savings, who gets the axe? who are you forced to let go? Cuz it will be somebody for sure if not 2 or 3 guys. 

5 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Thing is, Since Nichols is a good system QB, if you pay him 450 000, who do you have to let go to give him that money? I mean, Darvin Adams is a free agent and so are several other important pieces on the team, I mean, let's just say they give Nichols his 450,000 (they won't) but assume they do, Where do you find the savings, who gets the axe? who are you forced to let go? Cuz it will be somebody for sure if not 2 or 3 guys. 

Is the cap going up next year?

But, yes, I agree, you cannot give Nicholls $450,000 guaranteed. If he reaches that amount with incentives, then it's a good problem to have, in-year, next year.

maybe by a tiny amount if anything, i thought i heard like 50,000 or even less it goes up every year or something, maybe not tho but still... I guess, the point in all this, Nichols doesn't deserve to be paid anything close to what the real elite franchise QB's in this league make. If he wants 450,000 and he's willing to die on that hill, Then, i think, we need to perhaps accept the fact that Matt Nichols won't be a bomber next season and if it's because he wants 450,000 and the bombers don't want to give that to him, I'm fine with that. 

13 hours ago, J5V said:

Again, missing the point... Every single Bomber fan agrees with that part I've bolded... so doesn't it make sense to you to keep the a guy who can hold down the fort until this amazing prospect comes along??

Just curious, what's your alternate plan?... sign Durant and hope he has 3 or 4 good years left?... I like that idea, but there are major injury and longevity concerns with Durant (whom I really like as a QB BTW)...

Well, If we are suggesting other options other than Nichols... a few pop in to my head... Keep in mind that with several of these guys, I'd probably sign Glenn to be a backup/starter for us so here goes

James Franklin - obvious choice here really

Rakeem Cato - Yeah i know, but... he's an option i suppose

Jeremiah Masoli- didn't look awful playing for the Ticats actually

Durant - I don't see it happening personally 

14 hours ago, J5V said:

Settling for mediocre was going with Jyles, pierce, glitz Elliot,brink, hall and willy.   

Nichols is far superior in every regard.    No his may not ever bee BLM or Reilly or Ray. But he is a very good Qb that played well enough to go 10-3.  

Why some of you **** on him I don't know.   

13 hours ago, Goalie said:

Nichols is not in the elite level like BLM Reilly Burris Colaros Jennings even. 

He's probably near the bottom in terms of starters.  

He's a good system QB tho. Say what you want about Lapo but he used Nichols to the best of his abilities. 

Id put him above guys like collaros and harris. Both have shown greater flashes then nichols is capable of, but both have shown not to be reliable. MR and BLM are clearly the class of cfl QBs. I think jennings has devalued him self some with his late season performance. And is pretty much alone at the top of the 2nd tier of starting QBs. Id also put ricky ray behind nichols. Hes a better player no question, but old and an even bigger reliability question.

That kind of leaves nichols in a the middle of the pack with durant, Id take durant for the short term. But the balance between the amount of time nichols has left and the improvement durant would bring in the short term is awful close.

Glenn I think is highly under rated for what he did in a horrible mess in MTL. Imop hes the best back up in the league. Above lulay, tate, franklin, masoli etc but of course with out an up side. 

What nichols can do and what lapo likes to do does indeed mesh very well. I dont think our WR talent syncs up as well with that system though. Harris fits in very well. And just how far that can take you with out the crazy amount of turn overs / top tier D is questionable.  

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Id put him above guys like collaros and harris. Both have shown greater flashes then nichols is capable of, but both have shown not to be reliable. MR and BLM are clearly the class of cfl QBs. I think jennings has devalued him self some with his late season performance. And is pretty much alone at the top of the 2nd tier of starting QBs. Id also put ricky ray behind nichols. Hes a better player no question, but old and an even bigger reliability question.

That kind of leaves nichols in a the middle of the pack with durant, Id take durant for the short term. But the balance between the amount of time nichols has left and the improvement durant would bring in the short term is awful close.

Glenn I think is highly under rated for what he did in a horrible mess in MTL. Imop hes the best back up in the league. Above lulay, tate, franklin, masoli etc but of course with out an up side. 

What nichols can do and what lapo likes to do does indeed mesh very well. I dont think our WR talent syncs up as well with that system though. Harris fits in very well. And just how far that can take you with out the crazy amount of turn overs / top tier D is questionable.  

You make a good point about Glenn, I think he would work very well in LaPo's system as well, still I wouldn't feel confident going with him as the starter for next season.  As you said he's the perfect backup.  Going with Durant would be okay for one or two season if Davis is indeed the "future" and he is given the opportunity to prove that in real game action.

3 hours ago, Goalie said:

The Bombers need to have the capability of handling $400,000 plus in their QB budget for their starter anyways, even if they are unwilling to give it to Nichols.  The next "savior" to rise is going to eventually demand this type of money.  Within the salary structure of the league they can't go shopping for an elite QB with $325,000 in their pockets.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

12 minutes ago, Brandon said:

No contracts are guaranteed so even if they over pay for him ... we could cut him and/or trade him to Toronto for another 1st round pick :D

People around here are so hockey-centric with their thinking that they get completely freaked out when they hear the QB $$ numbers......no contracts are guaranteed....

25 minutes ago, Brandon said:

No contracts are guaranteed so even if they over pay for him ... we could cut him and/or trade him to Toronto for another 1st round pick :D

13 minutes ago, Noeller said:

People around here are so hockey-centric with their thinking that they get completely freaked out when they hear the QB $$ numbers......no contracts are guaranteed....

True but...

You don't want to put yourself into a position where you're overpaying any player, forcing you to cut them.