CFL Draft

Floyd

One interesting comment that Walters made in his pre-draft interview was with the current salary demands of first round draft picks it is difficult SMS wise to invest in two additional players for development further on down the road.   I take from this that one of the two first rounders has to become a replacement player, sooner rather than later or that they will go with a depth player and pay him accordingly.  In this scenario I can see them trading off one of their first two picks for a player that will be able to contribute immediately rather than long-term and as was mentioned earlier in this thread, they'd better pick players that are interested in building a football career over players that are just using their CFL training as a step to a bigger pay day in the NFL.  Retaining Chungh was fortunate but his decision to stay may be the exception to the rule with current and future draft picks.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

2 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

One interesting comment that Walters made in his pre-draft interview was with the current salary demands of first round draft picks it is difficult SMS wise to invest in two additional players for development further on down the road.   I take from this that one of the two first rounders has to become a replacement player, sooner rather than later or that they will go with a depth player and pay him accordingly.  In this scenario I can see them trading off one of their first two picks for a player that will be able to contribute immediately rather than long-term and as was mentioned earlier in this thread, they'd better pick players that are interested in building a football career over players that are just using their CFL training as a step to a bigger pay day in the NFL.

I think you're reading the comment the wrong way.  They can draft two players in the first round, but they need to be players because they are getting paid based on their draft slot not their actual value to a CFL roster in recent years.  They aren't drafting someone to sit on IR all year to get seasoned.

I don't believe they would trade picks for players because there isn't really any room on the roster, unless a completely unreasonable trade comes along that is an upgrade.  More likely they'd trade for future picks.

he's signed a relatively long term deal (by CFL standards) so I'm sure he's good to go as long as Sask will have him. You really gotta let that whole thing go...he did what he did, it's over, and now he's seemingly happy in Sask.

Just now, SpeedFlex27 said:

Maybe Muamba decides to leave again?

Muamba has not shown himself to be a dominant linebacker in his second CFL tour, so his "best before"date is probably behind him. I would be sorry to see Judge in any colours but blue and gold, though.

7 minutes ago, tracker said:

Muamba has not shown himself to be a dominant linebacker in his second CFL tour, so his "best before"date is probably behind him. I would be sorry to see Judge in any colours but blue and gold, though.

Might take awhile for Henoc to get his CFL legs back... I wouldn't say he's done just yet.

9 minutes ago, Noeller said:

he's signed a relatively long term deal (by CFL standards) so I'm sure he's good to go as long as Sask will have him. You really gotta let that whole thing go...he did what he did, it's over, and now he's seemingly happy in Sask.

Will Sask be happy with him? That's the question....

4 minutes ago, Floyd said:

If Walters didn't pick Waggoner with 'last years' number one... I think its a legit pick.

Honestly, at this point, I think I would......I think he's "BPA".....it's a crapshoot of a draft. I know we "need" a NI DT that can spell off Thomas, but man...it's tough to leave a kid potentially this good on the table...

Just now, SpeedFlex27 said:

Might take awhile for Henoc to get his CFL legs back... I wouldn't say he's done just yet.

Muamba will be around for a while yet, but I do think that he has not shown enough to draw NFL interest again. I'm pretty sure he's a CFL lifer now.

27 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Don't hate the guy but some of his decisions & actions, well... He needs to mature a lot quickly or he'll end up losing the opportunities he has. The door to Opportunity only stays open for a short time.

agree with all of that. its easy to slip between the cracks when you arent playing. If he isnt eligible for bengals (i have no idea that status) he really needs to play a full season of junior or go to the arena league or some thing. 

As a player, id take him right now with the first over all if possible.