Canadian Politics

3 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Don Plett, MB Senator and leader of the Conservative Senate Caucus came out in support of PP. Most ironic statement is in the same piece he says that all are welcome in the CPC and that the CPC needs to get rid of the woke elements in the party. Very unaware.

The same Don Plett who co-signed a directive barring all MPs and senators from travelling outside Canada as part of interparliamentary delegations in March 2020 - but then travelled to Mexico that December for holidays. (https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/senate-travel-plett-mexico-1.5866272)

His assclownery knows no bounds.

Edited by blue_gold_84
link added

3 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Don Plett, MB Senator and leader of the Conservative Senate Caucus came out in support of PP. Most ironic statement is in the same piece he says that all are welcome in the CPC and that the CPC needs to get rid of the woke elements in the party. Very unaware.

I've posted similar before, but I know Don Plett and his family and know many people who are close to him. The guy is slimy and doesn't deserve to have any power in this country. No surprise at all that he supports Pollievre.

"Alberta’s opposing NDP says people may be getting ripped off with the price at the pump, and wants answers now.

Transportation critic Lorne Dach says gas prices should be cheaper after the UCP paused the provincial gas tax.

Gas prices in Red Deer are around $1.74 per litre, while prices in Toronto are about $1.64, according to Dach.

The 13-cents per litre tax increase was suspended April 1 for both gasoline and diesel, as Albertans faced high prices at the pump. The NDP wants the Alberta government to continue to suspend the tariff into September, but also demands the funds be given back to Albertans.

“Looking at the gas prices today, it’s clear that the UCP have taken their eyes off the ball,” said Dach.

“Three months later, gas prices are higher now than they were before the tax pause.”

Related article: Calgary gas prices on par with Toronto

Trevor Toombs, a professor of economics at the University of Calgary, says gas stations are making $0.35-per-lire in profit compared to the typical $0.08 per litre they make — a four-fold increase.

“Say goodbye to your 13-cent tax relief,” said Dach.

“Alberta families are paying through the nose just to drive their cars.”

Dach is demanding an audit to understand where the 13-cent saving has gone.

“We know gas prices across the country and the world are high, but why is there a 27-cent-per-litre difference between what the margin is in Toronto versus what we’re seeing charged in Alberta?”

He says Albertans should know whether gas companies are simply pocketing the money."

Just a  misunderstanding. oil companies wouldn't cheat the folks filling up the tank. or the government of Alberta.

city news alberta.

Edited by Mark F

25 minutes ago, Mark F said:

Gas prices in Red Deer are around $1.74 per litre, while prices in Toronto are about $1.64, according to Dach.

And calgary most places are still sitting at $1.83ish. I did see one place that was down to about 1.78. But yes price gouging going on to a disgusting level.

15 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

And calgary most places are still sitting at $1.83ish. I did see one place that was down to about 1.78. But yes price gouging going on to a disgusting level.

but the gas tax relief, just keeping it. and getting away with it.

that takes brass, and a very submissive consumer. not surprising that the government doesnt care.

3 hours ago, 17to85 said:

179.9 up here, and Costco RD was 171.9 last night when I passed through. It's unbelievably gross and my Ram 1500 doesn't leave my driveway much because of it...

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

179.9 up here, and Costco RD was 171.9 last night when I passed through. It's unbelievably gross and my Ram 1500 doesn't leave my driveway much because of it...

I have read that the e bike sales are starting to be significantly large.

I have no numbers about this.

think I would rather have a reasonably powered  motorcycle that can keep up with traffic.

Edited by Mark F

10 minutes ago, Mark F said:

I have read that the e bike sales are starting to be significantly large.

I have no numbers about this.

think I would rather have a reasonably powered  motorcycle that can keep up with traffic.

ebikes can fly if you get a good one. And they don't need to be registered (motorcycles are expensive) or be on the road only. 

Edited by Bigblue204

If I didn't need to occasionally haul stuff, I definitely wouldn't have a truck. I need the space though, if for nothing other than fishing adventures with the wife. Can't wait till the Ram is paid off, though, and it'll either be an EV (if the prices have come down by then) or a Tacoma with the long box. One or the other. 

49 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

ebikes can fly if you get a good one. And they don't need to be registered (motorcycles are expensive) or be on the road only. 

Ebikes are only considered ebikes if they cannot surpass a certain speed in Manitoba 32km/h and no more than a 500w motor, I believe. Mopeds can have up to a 50cc motor and a speed limit of 50 km/h. Neither require registration but an ebike that can go above 32k requires a license, as does any moped 50cc or under. Ebikes that conform to ebike standards under Manitoba law may be driven by anyone age 14 or older with no license or provincial registration necessary. 

Edited by GCn20

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/harper-poilievre-endorsement-1.6531995

Former prime minister Stephen Harper says Pierre Poilievre is the Conservative leadership candidate with the best shot at leading the party to victory in the next federal election.

Harper's declaration came in a Monday evening video posted to Facebook and Twitter, in which he described Poilievre's ability to galvanize support from new members as a critical ingredient for success.

"That's how we win the next federal election, and in my opinion, Pierre has made by far the strongest case," Harper said.

Poilievre's campaign claims to have signed up more than 300,000 members to vote in the leadership race.

Harper also praised Poilievre, a longtime MP serving the Ottawa-area riding of Carleton, as a powerful communicator who has identified the most pressing issues facing Canada.

"He's been talking about the issues, especially the economic issues, that matter," Harper said, listing Canada's debt, inflation and housing troubles among the problems Poilievre is prepared to address.

Harper also said Poilievre recognizes "the need to fix the institutions that are failing Canadian families."

A central theme of Poilievre's leadership campaign is a promise to wipe out "gatekeepers" that he says are standing in the way of economic growth and sensible governance.

Poilievre also said during a leadership debate in May that he would fire Bank of Canada governor Tiff Macklem. He's blamed the central bank and Liberal government for overseeing what he says is reckless monetary policy that has pushed inflation to levels not seen in decades.

Harper's comments mark the first time the former prime minister has weighed in during a leadership race for the party he helped to form. He did not make any similar public declarations of support in the 2017 or 2020 leadership contests.

Talking Sniveling about issues and misrepresenting them to stoke the fires of irrational fear of the uninformed is a far, far cry from having actual solutions.

Poilievre decides to dodge a debate, so his former master runs to his aid in between making PragerU videos.

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Meanwhile, in Alabamberta:

And she's somehow a frontrunner in the UCP leadership race.

Which is hilarious. She had multiple opportunities to win an election in Alberta as leader of the Wildrose party and got rejected every single time.  

Can't see her winning now that she has gone further off the deep end, especially with how she completely betrayed and destroyed the wild rose party... the very people she is courting with her nonsense talk...

It just makes no sense. Then again it also makes no sense that people consider Jason kenney as too liberal.

7 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Which is hilarious. She had multiple opportunities to win an election in Alberta as leader of the Wildrose party and got rejected every single time.  

Can't see her winning now that she has gone further off the deep end, especially with how she completely betrayed and destroyed the wild rose party... the very people she is courting with her nonsense talk...

It just makes no sense. Then again it also makes no sense that people consider Jason kenney as too liberal.

It makes sense when you factor in #Burta... and also, with Smith, if she wins the leadership, she'll win the election. She couldn't win before because the Con's were divided. With a united Con party, whoever is the leader is going to win the next election, I firmly believe. 

2 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Talking Sniveling about issues and misrepresenting them to stoke the fires of irrational fear of the uninformed is a far, far cry from having actual solutions.

Poilievre decides to dodge a debate, so his former master runs to his aid in between making PragerU videos.

Harper obviously endorsed the sabotage of Patrick Brown's leadership bid and now he wants to ensure that a moderate PC like Jean Charest has little chance of winning by fully endorsing P.P.  Until Harper and Manning are gone for good or thrown in jail, Canada will be plagued with the stink of their far right reform party platform of selfishness and hatred.

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

It makes sense when you factor in #Burta... and also, with Smith, if she wins the leadership, she'll win the election. She couldn't win before because the Con's were divided. With a united Con party, whoever is the leader is going to win the next election, I firmly believe. 

I don't believe she will win though. When the WR was polling high we wound up with Redford because the centre-left crowd all jumped on her bandwagon to prevent the lake of fire party from winning. Now that she herself has gone totally off the deep end I don't see people supporting her, especially after all the **** the ucp have done. Buggering up healthcare and education still matter to people.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/2022/07/26/tories-seek-to-accelerate-use-of-private-agency-nurses-ndp

The Progressive Conservative government has been accused of doubling-down on its use of agency nurses, after Shared Health last month surveyed the private health-care firms about their capacity to prop up the public health system.

Opposition Leader Wab Kinew said a recent request for information issued by the provincial health authority is proof the Manitoba government is prioritizing private, for-profit nursing agencies over the public health-care system.

In late June, Shared Health asked nursing agencies to submit a summary of their capacity to support the health-care system and the current services being provided to the regional health authorities.

The provided information would help the health authority as it decides how to move forward with “backup nursing and health-care personnel within acute, long-term, home care, congregate” and other settings, according to the request.

“We should be looking to reduce the amount of private agency nurses, and yet this (request for information) shows that not only is that situation going to continue to increase but (Tory Premier) Heather Stefanson wants to accelerate it,” the NDP leader said during a Tuesday morning news conference at Vimy Ridge Park in Winnipeg.

“You have a system that’s in crisis and the PCs are proposing a course of action that is more expensive, leads to less quality of care for the patient — and so we should all be concerned about that.”

Nurses and other health-care professionals are being driven out of the public health system over mandated overtime and a lack of work-life balance, Kinew said. The provincial government must invest in the public health-care system and work with staff and their unions to provide better working conditions, he added.

“What we’re seeing is the use of mandatory overtime as a regular (human resources) practice to try and paper over the fact that the PCs have cut the number of nurses working at the bedside in Manitoba. It’s unacceptable,” Kinew said, noting the Tories appear to be leaning into privatized health care.

In the past fiscal year, health authorities spent more than $36 million on temporary nursing staff, a number that has grown steadily since 2017.

Manitoba Nurses Union president Darlene Jackson said the use of agency staff was intended to be a fall-back plan to ensure patient care was never compromised. Instead, the government has become content to staff its facilities with temporary workers to the point of excess, she said.

“We now live in a world where agency use has become the norm in our health-care system leaving patients without continuity of care, staff without cohesive collaboration and the public fooled into thinking the front line is okay,” Jackson said in a statement. “It is definitely not okay, and we are calling not only for information but for action.”

The Tory government has defended the increased dependency on agency staff as means to get Manitobans the care they need amid chronic staffing shortages.

At the same time, the government said it wants to increase the number of nurses on the public payroll as quickly as possible. It is also taking steps to add more nursing seats at post-secondary institutions and to allow more internationally educated nurses to work at hospitals and care homes.

In a statement, a spokesperson for Shared Health said it is also committed to cutting the province’s dependency on agency staff through various nurse recruitment and retention initiatives.

The purpose of the request was to standardize agreements and to better understand agency service providers in an effort to wean the province off temporary workers, the spokesperson said.

However, the Tories have not shied away from embracing private and non-profit health-care organizations in the past.

In June, Stefanson told supporters her government will look “at innovative ways to increase capacity in our system with partnerships in the private and not-for-profit sectors,” after the former NDP government took an “ideological approach to health care” and stifled innovation.

Neither Stefanson nor Health Minister Audrey Gordon were made available for an interview Tuesday.

In a statement, a government spokesperson said nursing challenges are not unique to Manitoba and the province is is looking at staffing models in other jurisdictions. “We will continue to work with all facets of the health-care system to identify and implement a wide variety of solutions to address this issue.”

Trash premier, trash health minister.

On 2022-07-26 at 8:27 AM, blue_gold_84 said:

By "attract new members" Harper was referring to the Proud Boys, skinheads, and the brain-damaged:

Scientists establish link between religious fundamentalism and brain damage

A study published in the journal Neuropsychologia has shown that religious fundamentalism is, in part, the result of a functional impairment in a brain region known as the prefrontal cortex. The findings suggest that damage to particular areas of the prefrontal cortex indirectly promotes religious fundamentalism by diminishing cognitive flexibility and openness—a psychology term that describes a personality trait which involves dimensions like curiosity, creativity, and open-mindedness.

Religious beliefs can be thought of as socially transmitted mental representations that consist of supernatural events and entities assumed to be real. Religious beliefs differ from empirical beliefs, which are based on how the world appears to be and are updated as new evidence accumulates or when new theories with better predictive power emerge. On the other hand, religious beliefs are not usually updated in response to new evidence or scientific explanations, and are therefore strongly associated with conservatism. They are fixed and rigid, which helps promote predictability and coherence to the rules of society among individuals within the group.

9 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

At the same time, the government said it wants to increase the number of nurses on the public payroll as quickly as possible.

b.s.

this is exactly what happened under gary filmon cons. luckily doer got elected and fixed the mess.

hopefully same thing can be done by current ndp.

Manitoba  cons are incompetent, and this is not recent.

last good thing they did  in manitoba was the floodway. sixty years ago. pathetic.

Edited by Mark F