Canadian Politics

On 2023-02-04 at 6:57 PM, WildPath said:

I saw a few of what I assumed were Freedom Convoyers going down highway 15 today. Three to be exact. I assumed they had something to do with that play group because they had large Canada flags and hazard lights on despite going highway speed. Their message remained as cloudy as ever.

No doubt that Russia would want to encourage any movement that could help weaken Canadian democracy or economy. I'm sure they were giddy with Ottawa being shut down, borders shut down, etc. They correctly see the far right in Canada as the ideal vehicle for weakening our country. Perhaps far right is even being too gracious. I think it is pretty obvious which party they will be interfering in our next election on behalf of.

I assume government agencies from NATO countries also try to subtly support revolutionary groups in Russia/Iran, etc. 

You're too kind.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-health-care-deal-1.6740143

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced Tuesday the federal government is prepared to spend an eye-popping $196.1 billion on health care over the next decade — including $46.2 billion in new spending on top of funds already budgeted.

The deal, which is being pitched by the federal government as a generational fix for an ailing system, would begin with provinces and territories getting an unconditional $2-billion boost to the Canada Health Transfer (CHT) to address what the federal government calls "immediate pressure on the health-care system, especially in pediatric hospitals, emergency rooms and surgical and diagnostic backlogs."

Trudeau's proposal also includes a five per cent annual hike to the CHT for the next five years, with a built-in mechanism to permanently increase funding in the years after.

Following their meeting with Trudeau, the premiers said they wanted to take time to assess the federal proposal. They also said they would like to see the federal government put forward additional money.

Manitoba Premier Heather Stefanson is the current head of the Council of the Federation, the group that represents the premiers. She said the premiers were "disappointed" by the size of Trudeau's proposal.

"It's significantly less than what we're looking for," she said.

The premiers had been asking Ottawa to increase the Canada Health Transfer to provinces by $28 billion a year.

Stefanson said that doesn't mean the provinces and territories will reject the proposal outright.

Pierre has to get in his soundbites: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/poilievre-keep-health-care-deal-1.6741086

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre said a government led by him would keep in place the Liberal government's recently proposed health-care deal with the provinces.

Poilievre said a future Conservative government under his leadership wouldn't reverse the additional health-care funding.

"Yesterday, [Trudeau] announced sums that are not adequate, according to the premiers, to fix the health-care damage that has emerged under eight years of Trudeau," Poilievre said in a media scrum.

"Obviously, a future Conservative government led by myself will keep in place these additional sums and honour the commitments made yesterday."

"A Conservative government will unleash the productive forces of our economy so there's more money available to support health care," Poilievre said.

"We will cut the waste and mismanagement in the federal government, including the high-priced consultants, so that more of your tax dollar goes to the emergency room and to treating your family."

What a lying scumbag.

4 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

PP: We should defund the CBC!! They're just a mouth piece for the Liberals!

CBC: We think the leaders of the CPC think of us as an extension of the Liberals!

PP: CBC FINALLY ADMIT THEY'RE A MOUTH PIECE FOR THE LIBERALS!!

That's the level of "thought" in the CPC/PPC/Alt-right (all the same). No thinking necessary.

30 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

PP: We should defund the CBC!! They're just a mouth piece for the Liberals!

CBC: We think the leaders of the CPC think of us as an extension of the Liberals!

PP: CBC FINALLY ADMIT THEY'RE A MOUTH PIECE FOR THE LIBERALS!!

Painfully true.

I don't know too many of the details of the health care situation

But I do know the issues in education will soon be exacerbated

I just heard some of the numbers yesterday: 1/6 of Manitoba teachers are headed for retirement in the next 2 years - most of them will choose not to work as subs

That's less than the number of graduates that will be coming out of Universities - we have a teacher shortage coming very soon

Saskatchewan is already faced with a teacher shortage

In both healthcare and education, it's going to take more than money to fix the system

13 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

I just heard some of the numbers yesterday: 1/6 of Manitoba teachers are headed for retirement in the next 2 years - most of them will choose not to work as subs

That's less than the number of graduates that will be coming out of Universities - we have a teacher shortage coming very soon

In both healthcare and education, it's going to take more than money to fix the system

There is a saying that the best time to plant a tree was 19 years ago and so it is with demographics- all this is and was predictable. The race to the bottom has produced and is still producing these effects. There are too many people who chant the mantra of lower taxes above all and politicians who delude people into thinking there is no consequence to cutting taxes with no thought for the future,

Edited by Tracker

6 minutes ago, Tracker said:

There is a saying that the best time to plant a tree was 19 years ago and so it is with demographics- all this is and was predictable. The race to the bottom has produced and is still producing these effects. There are too many people who chant the mantra of lower taxes above all and politicians who delude people into thinking there is no consequence to cutting taxes with no thought for the future.

Yes. But again, there are issues other than funding.   

There are serious social issues in many classrooms.  There needs to be long - term community building. 

14 hours ago, Mark H. said:

There are serious social issues in many classrooms.  There needs to be long - term community building. 

But that would require campaign platforms that look beyond the current election cycle.  Unfortunately, 30 - 35% of Canadians just don't buy into that way of thinking.  See climate change, homelessness, child care, long term care etc etc.

I'm currently reading "Too Dumb For Democracy" by David Moscrop.  He cites neurological (and so far - not sociological or psychological) studies that show the human brain in many cases is still evolving from "survival mode" and into "survival in the future mode".  This would certainly help explain why a solid chunk of people (even people who lead relatively comfortable lives) vote against society's best interests because they can't appreciate or embrace long-term thinking.

It's very thought-provoking.

1 hour ago, Wideleft said:

But that would require campaign platforms that look beyond the current election cycle.  Unfortunately, 30 - 35% of Canadians just don't buy into that way of thinking.  See climate change, homelessness, child care, long term care etc etc.

I'm currently reading "Too Dumb For Democracy" by David Moscrop.  He cites neurological (and so far - not sociological or psychological) studies that show the human brain in many cases is still evolving from "survival mode" and into "survival in the future mode".  This would certainly help explain why a solid chunk of people (even people who lead relatively comfortable lives) vote against society's best interests because they can't appreciate or embrace long-term thinking.

It's very thought-provoking.

It would also require trust in elected officials that they can competently plan past the election cycle.

I wonder how much of this is people don't buy into it and how much is it with a lack of trust or seeing a lack of vision from elected officials.

Just now, Rich said:

It would also require trust in elected officials that they can competently plan past the election cycle.

I wonder how much of this is people don't buy into it and how much is it with a lack of trust or seeing a lack of vision from elected officials.

I view the "I just don't trust politicians" as a lazy out.  People who actually do the work to understand policy and policy makers have no problem determining who they can put their faith in.

30 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

I view the "I just don't trust politicians" as a lazy out.  People who actually do the work to understand policy and policy makers have no problem determining who they can put their faith in.

Are the people you put your faith in the ones who are always voted in?

17 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Yes...it will all be rescued by the all knowing and all loving Private Sector!! 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/premiers-delay-healthcare-meeting-1.6743022

Canada's premiers are pushing back a meeting to discuss a health-care funding proposal from the federal government, and will now meet on Monday instead of Friday.

The provincial and territorial leaders originally were set to deliberate Friday on a health-care funding offer the federal government released earlier this week.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau presented premiers with Ottawa's offer on Tuesday — a plan to flow roughly $46.2 billion in new money to the provinces and territories over 10 years to help prop up a faltering health-care system.

The premiers haven't accepted the offer yet and Council of the Federation chair Heather Stefanson, the premier of Manitoba, said the offer is "significantly less" than what the premiers are looking for.

A spokesperson for the Council of the Federation Secretariat said the delay is due to some premiers travelling after a first ministers' meeting in Ottawa this week.

On 2023-02-08 at 6:03 PM, Mark H. said:

This was never so apparent to me until we moved this summer and our 10 year needed to be acclimated to a new school. I will say many of these issues start at the top, good principals have great school and community environments, not so good or caring can lead to a toxic workplace, high teacher turnover and poor socialization of students. 

I will say I am very happy with E’s new school.