Canadian Politics

2 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Speaking of which: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/poilievre-trudeau-parliament-returns-1.6728295

Of course he just throws another tantrum in front of the cameras without offering any solutions or ideas.

This MAGAtesque rhetoric is so toxic.

Restore order?

Oh right, that's on page 9 of the MAGA playbook that recommends sneering something nonsensical to rile up the F Trudeau Muh Freedoms crowd.

1 hour ago, JCon said:

She promised she would do it. She said she did it. 

What ****ing morons think she didn't? 

The thralls in the party. What was a borderline bearable provincial party is now wholly under the sway of the nutball Wild Rose loonies.

Edited by Tracker

12 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

nhttps://www.cbc.ca/news/editorsblog/cbc-stands-by-coutts-story-1.6728100

Danielle Smith's gov't and its braindead supporters are a stain on this country.

Smith attacking Trudeau or the CBC doesn't require merit or even a hint of logical reason to gain her points, the action alone is like throwing red meat to her base who can't be bothered to read beyond a headline.  The more aggressive she becomes, the better they like it.

5 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

Smith attacking Trudeau or the CBC doesn't require merit or even a hint of logical reason to gain her points, the action alone is like throwing red meat to her base who can't be bothered to read beyond a headline.  The more aggressive she becomes, the better they like it.

The only question for her and PP - how big is that base? Hopefully small.

Their speeches remind me of the sheep in Animal Farm: "4 legs good, 2 legs bad."

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Smith has a history of blowing leads in polls by saying stupid **** though. Hopefully that trend continues. 

It has been said that people get the government they deserve. If Albertans are stoopid enough to re-elect her and her government, they will have established themselves as Alabama north- Albertabama.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/ben-carr-winnipeg-south-centre-1.6734616

After a month of deliberations, the son of late Liberal MP Jim Carr has decided to seek the party's nomination to run in a byelection expected in Winnipeg South Centre later this year.

Ben Carr announced Thursday that he will seek the nomination for a riding his father, Jim, won three times before he died at age 71 on Dec. 12.

The younger Carr said on Jan. 3 he was considering following in his father's footsteps.

Ben Carr worked on his father's political campaigns, co-chairing the 2021 re-election effort after helping out more informally in the 2015 and 2019 federal elections.

He has spent most of his career in education, working as a teacher and later a principal at schools in River Heights and The Maples.

The younger Carr ran in a Winnipeg school division byelection in 2020 — and even voted for himself in an advance poll — before the start of the COVID-19 pandemic cancelled the exercise.

Carr also worked in Ottawa for former Canadian heritage minister Melanie Joly and currently does government relations work as a vice-president for Indigenous Strategy Alliance, a private consulting firm.

In a news release, Carr listed 15 endorsements from politicians, Indigenous leaders and educators, including former prime minister Paul Martin, Shoal Lake No. 40 Chief Kevin Redsky and former Liberal MPs Maryam Monsef and Scott Brison.

Sask. surprised feds with 'unforeseen' request for COVID-19 support after previously turning it down

Speaking of Scott Moe and Sask., they were so desperate to avoid the optics of accepting help from Ottawa for COVID relief, they instead solicited assistance from the US before reaching out to Ottawa.

"The email added that Saskatchewan participants in the meeting "stated they do not have authority to submit a [request for assistance] at this time."

However, at the time the Saskatchewan government was reaching out to several places in the United States for assistance.

Saskatchewan Public Safety Agency president Marlo Pritchard would later say the province reached out to members of the Northern Emergency Management Assistance Compact, through the International Emergency Management Assistance Memorandum of Understanding, and to the Pacific Northwest Emergency Management Agreement, which connects the province with possible help from member states including Illinois, Montana, Indiana, Michigan, New York, Minnesota, Ohio, North Dakota, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin.

No state helped."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/cp-unforeseen-covid-request-federal-caught-off-guard-1.6734638

1 minute ago, Fatty Liver said:

Sask. surprised feds with 'unforeseen' request for COVID-19 support after previously turning it down

Speaking of Scott Moe and Sask., they were so desperate to avoid the optics of accepting help from Ottawa for COVID relief, they instead solicited assistance from the US before reaching out to Ottawa.

"The email added that Saskatchewan participants in the meeting "stated they do not have authority to submit a [request for assistance] at this time."

However, at the time the Saskatchewan government was reaching out to several places in the United States for assistance.

Saskatchewan Public Safety Agency president Marlo Pritchard would later say the province reached out to members of the Northern Emergency Management Assistance Compact, through the International Emergency Management Assistance Memorandum of Understanding, and to the Pacific Northwest Emergency Management Agreement, which connects the province with possible help from member states including Illinois, Montana, Indiana, Michigan, New York, Minnesota, Ohio, North Dakota, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin.

No state helped."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/cp-unforeseen-covid-request-federal-caught-off-guard-1.6734638

Hilarious. That bunch of assholes, who (at times) make the AB UCP seem tame, would rather reach out to Republican states than be seen asking the DREADED JPT for help... HORRORS! What a bunch of clowns. 

8 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Hilarious. That bunch of assholes, who (at times) make the AB UCP seem tame, would rather reach out to Republican states than be seen asking the DREADED JPT for help... HORRORS! What a bunch of clowns. 

The fact that every state turned them down too is just the cherry on top.

3 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Im Not a fan of these kids of politicians running. Shryers Kid... this dudes kid, Bill Blakies kid. Voting for the last name isn't a good thing always. They definitely don't appear to care as much as dad did but Ben seems like maybe he's different 

Edited by Goalie

I'm sure name recognition counts to some degree but neither was handed anything as far as I can tell regarding their respective accomplishments. I don't know Blaikie personally but have voted for him twice now based on his views, ideas, and commitment to his community. I've known Ben for nearly 15 years and he's as dedicated as he is intelligent - much like his late father.

I wouldn't classify either as "nepo* babies," as both have worked diligently to get where they are in their lives. And FWIW, neither of them are kids. They're both in their late 30s.

* nepotism generally carries a negative connotation

Edited by blue_gold_84

14 hours ago, Noeller said:

"Nepo Babies" is the term going around these days... Lots of it going around. 

And yet 90+% of the homes in Winnipeg's poshest neighbourhoods are likely owned by nepo babies.  I guess it's fine in the business world, but not elsewhere.

That being said - the idea of political dynasties makes my stomach turn a bit.

2 hours ago, Wideleft said:

And yet 90+% of the homes in Winnipeg's poshest neighbourhoods are likely owned by nepo babies.  I guess it's fine in the business world, but not elsewhere.

That being said - the idea of political dynasties makes my stomach turn a bit.

I read some time back that about 90% of the wealthy in the US inherited their money, and I suspect that it would be similar in Canada. Because of the stratified social order in England, that number would be higher there.

2 hours ago, Tracker said:

I read some time back that about 90% of the wealthy in the US inherited their money, and I suspect that it would be similar in Canada. Because of the stratified social order in England, that number would be higher there.

And from what I've observed about 89% of these wealthy people say others need to pull up their bootstraps if they want to be like them.

Maybe I'm being to harsh, maybe 88%.  

Preston Manning takes part in a panel discussion during the Canada Strong and Free conference in Ottawa on Friday, May 6, 2022.

Preston's doing alright, Smith hired him to write up a meaningless Covid response report with a predicated conclusion, he's scheduled to make $253,000 for his toils.

https://calgaryherald.com/opinion/columnists/braid-22

In order to fund Preston's retirement project, Smith terminated this lady, Dr. Deena Hinshaw, Alberta's chief medical officer of health and spokesperson for all things Covid. 

Alberta's chief medical officer of health Dr. Deena Hinshaw, wearing her famous periodic table dress during a COVID-19 update on March 19, 2020.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/braid-dr-deena-hinshaw-is-the-first-sacrifice-to-smiths-health-care-upheaval

Good trade-off, Preston will happily say whatever he's paid to say.

"Nearly a year after the start of Canada’s 2022 Freedom Convoy—a series of protests and blockades that brought together a wide variety of far-right activists and extremists, as well as ordinary Canadians who found common ground with the aggrieved message of the organizers—the question of whether and to what degree foreign actors were involved remains largely unanswered.

This paper attempts to answer some of those questions by providing a brief but targeted analysis of Russia’s involvement in the Freedom Convoy via media and social media."

https://journals.lib.sfu.ca/index.php/jicw/article/view/5101/4385

interesting bit:

"The timeline of coverage also reveals another notable trend involving RT and Fox News; specifically, when RT’s coverage starts to drop off, Fox News’ coverage picks up. Recent reports have documented a symbiotic relationship between the two networks, which may explain the pattern described here (Corn, 2022; Thompson, 2022)."

Fox network :  same agenda as Putin.

Edited by Mark F

11 minutes ago, Mark F said:

"Nearly a year after the start of Canada’s 2022 Freedom Convoy—a series of protests and blockades that brought together a wide variety of far-right activists and extremists, as well as ordinary Canadians who found common ground with the aggrieved message of the organizers—the question of whether and to what degree foreign actors were involved remains largely unanswered.

This paper attempts to answer some of those questions by providing a brief but targeted analysis of Russia’s involvement in the Freedom Convoy via media and social media."

https://journals.lib.sfu.ca/index.php/jicw/article/view/5101/4385

interesting bit:

"The timeline of coverage also reveals another notable trend involving RT and Fox News; specifically, when RT’s coverage starts to drop off, Fox News’ coverage picks up. Recent reports have documented a symbiotic relationship between the two networks, which may explain the pattern described here (Corn, 2022; Thompson, 2022)."

Fox network resembles an agent  of Putin. 

I saw a few of what I assumed were Freedom Convoyers going down highway 15 today. Three to be exact. I assumed they had something to do with that play group because they had large Canada flags and hazard lights on despite going highway speed. Their message remained as cloudy as ever.

No doubt that Russia would want to encourage any movement that could help weaken Canadian democracy or economy. I'm sure they were giddy with Ottawa being shut down, borders shut down, etc. They correctly see the far right in Canada as the ideal vehicle for weakening our country. Perhaps far right is even being too gracious. I think it is pretty obvious which party they will be interfering in our next election on behalf of.

I assume government agencies from NATO countries also try to subtly support revolutionary groups in Russia/Iran, etc. 

15 minutes ago, WildPath said:

help weaken Canadian democracy or economy.

yes, I agree.... 

Russia, And Fox. 

Fox wants the same thing as Putin.

chaos, division, violence, mistrust, all  leading to white, right wing,  dictatorship. 

nearly pulled it off with Trump.

and The only outfit to call Fox to account, is the voting machine companies with their lawsuits.

Everyone else is afraid of Fox.

Edited by Mark F

On 2023-02-04 at 7:57 PM, WildPath said:

I saw a few of what I assumed were Freedom Convoyers going down highway 15 today. Three to be exact. I assumed they had something to do with that play group because they had large Canada flags and hazard lights on despite going highway speed. Their message remained as cloudy as ever.

No doubt that Russia would want to encourage any movement that could help weaken Canadian democracy or economy. I'm sure they were giddy with Ottawa being shut down, borders shut down, etc. They correctly see the far right in Canada as the ideal vehicle for weakening our country. Perhaps far right is even being too gracious. I think it is pretty obvious which party they will be interfering in our next election on behalf of.

I assume government agencies from NATO countries also try to subtly support revolutionary groups in Russia/Iran, etc. 

Speaking of which: