Canadian Politics

1 minute ago, the watcher said:

Now that I agree with. It just struck me that when Trudeau Sr. implemented the War measures act during the FLQ crisis I believe he had the full support and backing of the Conservatives. 

It's a trick question because there are no conservatives left. The CPCs are not interested in governing or having ideas. They have nothing but cozying up to white supremacists and calling Trudeau bad. 

An actual policy? Heck no. 

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Hyperinflation, taxation, housing prices, cost of living, these are going to be the platform of interest in the next election imo.  

Those are losing ones for conservatives then. They aren't going to touch housing affordability.  Too anti-free market.  Hard sell for their supporters. They will make noises about cutting taxes but so will the liberals. No one will actually do it. Cost of living, well again bad conservative situation. They don't do anything to help. Example, Jason kenney and his government have directly made utility and auto insurance costs higher here. 

Know what a big thing in the Liberals favour is? Their childcare plan. That's a direct improvement in people with young kids lives to make their costs of living go down and improve their finances.  

The entire conservative platform these days is "**** Trudeau! And **** the Liberals!" 

Plays well with idiots but offers nothing for Canadians as has lost 3 elections in a row with 3 different leaders shouting that message. They lose trudeau it gets harder cause he really is a liability for the Liberals at this point.

14 minutes ago, JCon said:

It's a trick question because there are no conservatives left. The CPCs are not interested in governing or having ideas. They have nothing but cozying up to white supremacists and calling Trudeau bad. 

An actual policy? Heck no. 

It's a funny political scene. The Liberals who keep getting elected despite  placing 2nd in popular vote and suffering multiple  "scandals"  that would normaly   get them put out,  are benifiting from a Conservative party that is to busy cannibalizing itself to be a real threat or to table intelligent platforms. The NDP  despite having a very competent, intelligent leader just don't seem able to make the leap or even take full advantage of having the balance of power.

I'd like to be able to disagree with you but I can't. It's not just the Conservatives  that are supporting this BS but the rest that are remaining quiet

Edited by the watcher

Just now, the watcher said:

It's a funny political scene. The Liberals who keep getting elected despite  placing 2nd in popular vote and suffering multiple  "scandals"  that would normaly   get them put out,  are benifiting from a Conservative party that is to busy cannibalizing itself to be a real threat or to table intelligent platforms. The NDP  despite having a very competent, intelligent leader just don't seem able to make the leap or even take full advantage of having the balance of power.

Competent and intelligent but completely unable to produce or defend a policy position that does not lie in Provincial jurisdiction. They need good policy people in the party. Those who can articulate and structure an actual policy that the Fed NDP could enact if in gov't or push for in a minority gov't. They could quickly coalesce the left, with the Green's abandoning any reason, if they could just get it together.  

6 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Spoken like a true Liberal who cannot listen to an opposing viewpoint without name calling and resorting to misrepresent all who oppose their viewpoints.

When you've used the term Justinflation to regurgitate Poilievre talking points, I listened, looked up the facts, and proved you completely wrong. You admitted it by saying that leaders sometimes take the heat for things beyond their control. Yet you still think there is some credibility in using it again 🙄

You've admitted that Conservatives can gain support by provoking anger even though it isn't backed up by facts. I agree, but I think this is a bad aspect of our political system and leads to Canada becoming a worse country. Appealing to anger and pandering to those informed by misinformation for personal gain is NOT a way to make our country better. We've seen this show in the US.

I have no problem listening to opposing viewpoints, but I have no patience for arguments that are admittedly not based on facts. I will call out bullsh** every time I see it and have time to actually look up the facts myself. I have voted for at least 4 different political parties that I can recall of the top of my head. I do not have my vote parked with any party, but will evaluate where I vote in elections based on who provides the best policy that is backed up by facts. If a party's main arguments are completely, objectively false, I have no reason to support a party without credibility. My hope is that most voters will engage in critical thinking when choosing a political party rather than just listening to their chosen side and utilizing their talking points as facts without actually checking if they are based in reality.

Edited by WildPath

21 minutes ago, the watcher said:

I'd like to be able to disagree with you but I can't. It's not just the Conservatives  that are supporting this BS but the rest that are remaining quiet

The CPC is condoning the protesters by word and silence, the BQ is mostly on the government side but quiet, the CPP is cheerleading the jackholes, and the NDP is somewhat reluctantly supporting the govermment. To me, it looks like the message the CPC is taking out of all this is that if you shout inflamatory crap, even if its all BS, loud enough, you can raise your profile to look like a political option. I trust the vast majority of Candians to see through all this and remember it next election.

In other good news:

Ottawa convoy protest organizer Tamara Lich denied bail

Freedom Convoy organizer Tamara Lich appears in front of a judge for a bail hearing on Feb. 19, 2022, which was put over to Tuesday. Lich, from Medicine Hat, Alta., was charged last Thursday with counselling to commit mischief in connection with the Ottawa protests. (Lauren Foster-MacLeod/CBC)
Tamara Lich, a major organizer of the so-called Freedom Convoy, was denied bail Tuesday morning in Ottawa.

Lich, the Alberta woman behind a now-halted GoFundMe campaign that raised over $10 million to support the protest in Ottawa, was arrested and charged Thursday with counselling to commit mischief.

Before her arrest, she told journalists she wasn't concerned about being arrested, didn't think the protest was illegal and also said her bank account was frozen.

On Tuesday, the judge said she was not convinced Lich would go home, stay there and stop her alleged counselling.

"This community has already been impacted enough by some of the criminal activity and blockades you took part in and even led," said Ontario Superior Court Justice Julie Bourgeois.  "You have had plenty of opportunity to remove yourself and even others from this criminal activity but obstinately chose not to and persistently counselled others not to either. 

"In Canada, every citizen can certainly disagree with and protest against government decisions but it needs to be done in a democratic fashion in abidance with the laws that have been established democratically."

44 minutes ago, the watcher said:

Now that I agree with. It just struck me that when Trudeau Sr. implemented the War measures act during the FLQ crisis I believe he had the full support and backing of the Conservatives. 

I was one of those who were at the Legislature protesting the implementation of the War Measures Act bcause I saw no justification for such a draconian move. In retrospect, the protests were valid and the mayor of Calgary used it as an excuse for police there to round up and detain for days without charge everyone who was seen as a "hippie".  

1 minute ago, Tracker said:

Not to mention national free healthcare, workers' compensation, portable pensions, subsidized daycare for qualifying parents, environmental standards, workplace safety regulations, food and drug standards, etc etc. This is too easy. 

Women’s rights (reproductive and other), LGBTQ rights. 

2 hours ago, Tracker said:

I was one of those who were at the Legislature protesting the implementation of the War Measures Act bcause I saw no justification for such a draconian move. In retrospect, the protests were valid and the mayor of Calgary used it as an excuse for police there to round up and detain for days without charge everyone who was seen as a "hippie".  

3 minutes ago, the watcher said:

When I see people complaining about the Emeryency Act I just think , man you should have seen the War Measures Act. Now THAT put some questionable power in the hands of government and the police. If I recall correctly they could toss anyone they wanted into jail for 90 days  without saying why. I don't know if you had a right to see a lawyer in those 90 days.

Edited by the watcher

2 minutes ago, the watcher said:

When I see people complaining about the Emeryency Act I just think , man you should have seen the War Measures Act. Now THAT put some questionable power in the hands of government and the police.

Mulroney's gov't carefully crafted this legislation to replace the War Measures Act. It's a good piece of legislation, it's just too bad they had to enact it. 

12 minutes ago, JCon said:

First order of business they need to install bus traps on every street leading into the capital region so they can control vehicle access to the parliament area and shut it off quickly without the assistance of hundreds of police officers.  It would take but one freedom loving idiot to drive  a semi loaded with fertilizer into the area before we have an Oklahoma City incident on our hands.  I fear it's going to be a long hot summer of discontent.

6 hours ago, GCn20 said:

...as they have lost the popular vote in consecutive elections.

But they won the most seats in both elections.

Why do you continue to trot out this tired, pointless talking point as though it means something? The popular vote is irrelevant in federal politics. Your antics in this thread are embarrassing.

In other news: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/pat-king-charges-ottawa-police-convoy-1.6359934

One of the leaders of the three-week occupation in Ottawa will remain in jail until at least Friday when a judge will decide whether he will be released on bail.

Alberta resident Pat King sat through his first bail hearing all day Tuesday that focused, for the most part, on his proposed surety who pledged $50,000 to ensure King won't violate his bail conditions. 

King faces four charges related to his involvement in the occupation including mischief, counselling to commit the offence of mischief, counselling to commit the offence of disobey court order, and counselling to commit the offence of obstruct police.

At Tuesday's bail hearing, fellow Albertan Kerry Komix was put forward as King's proposed surety, which means she would put money forward on behalf of King and encourage him to maintain conditions of bail. 

She pledged $50,000 of equity on her home, roughly half its value, against King's bail despite the fact she has only known him for about four weeks, Komix told the court.

Komix, a retired bus driver who has worked with children with special needs, says she joined King and others to travel to Ottawa for the so-called Freedom Convoy, which became a three-week occupation of downtown Ottawa.

Edited by blue_gold_84

2 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Last poll I saw had Reeves in the lead, but that was before Khan was officially the candidate (but I think his name was still used in the poll). Good opportunity to put some fear into PC MLAs that a lot of safe seats may no longer be safe.

Also interesting is the outspoken Anti-Science loonie Patrick Allard has decided to run in the election as an independent...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/conservative-senator-friendly-patriotic-ottawa-convoy-1.6361392

Conservative Saskatchewan Sen. Denise Batters defended anti-vaccine mandate protesters in a speech late Tuesday, arguing these "friendly" and "patriotic" demonstrators have been unfairly maligned by the "chattering classes."

Batters — who was photographed posing in front of convoy trucks gathered in Ottawa during the protest — said she didn't experience any of the harassment that locals complained of during the weeks-long occupation.

"I can say that in the last two years, I never felt safer walking home from my office at night. The protesters I met very much reminded me of the people I know in Saskatchewan — friendly, hard-working, patriotic Canadians," she said.

While she said she sympathized with Ottawa residents who had to endure constant noise during the demonstration, Batters said she only saw "peaceful" and "non-threatening" demonstrators when observing the crowd from her Senate office, which faces Wellington Street, the centre of the now-disbanded occupation.

"I do not tolerate harassment, intimidation or destruction ever, but I can honestly say that I personally did not see any of that behaviour exhibited by the protesters," she said. "What is the national emergency this time? Dance parties and loud horns?"

How idiots like this get into prominent positions of public office just baffles the **** out of me.